Charon TC by Smoant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I bought one of these and generally like it. I am concerned that it is now months later and still no promised firmware upgrade. There are two TC functions on the device that are inoperable as it is shipped. This was supposed to be fixed in the promised software upgrade. I am still waiting for news of it. This is a really good device for a reasonable price but a promise is a promise. Anyone hear from Smoat about this? If they did not intend to address this they could have just deleted those missing functions from the rom before shipping the product.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I bought one of these and generally like it. I am concerned that it is now months later and still no promised firmware upgrade. There are two TC functions on the device that are inoperable as it is shipped. This was supposed to be fixed in the promised software upgrade. I am still waiting for news of it. This is a really good device for a reasonable price but a promise is a promise. Anyone hear from Smoat about this? If they did not intend to address this they could have just deleted those missing functions from the rom before shipping the product.

They've been giving updates on Reddit. It should be out soon. They said sometime June at the latest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
They've been giving updates on Reddit. It should be out soon. They said sometime June at the latest

Thanks for the reply it is good news. I never look at Reddit and it seems like an unusual place for a China manufacturer to be posting news? Or maybe I am just behind the times and Reddit has become a major news source for everything? I am an old retired guy and always thought of Reddit as a place where young guys go to hang out.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Thanks for the reply it is good news. I never look at Reddit and it seems like an unusual place for a China manufacturer to be posting news? Or maybe I am just behind the times and Reddit has become a major news source for everything? I am an old retired guy and always thought of Reddit as a place where young guys go to hang out.

Lol yeah lots of people on Reddit for sure

TheLordWinter

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2010
Detroit, MI
Noticed the failure to fire issue with mine. I brought my box home and put on my atty, a limitless RDTA, and my new mod didn't want to fire all the time. Like was mentioned in earlier posts, it seemed to be losing the resistance reading (my coils range from .25 to .35 for the pair) about three times out of ten. I broke my atty down and cleaned it extensively when I changed coils this morning... took the whole deck apart and cleaned off all the contacts where the deck connects with the 510 screw that holds the whole thing together. I noticed that the 510 adapter on the Charon is a little shallower due to how high the 510 pin sits, so I tightened the screw on the atty so that it wasn't as deep in the adapter.

Problem solved. I've gone through two atty's full of juice, and not one failure to fire. For mine, it seems that this issue is connected to one of two minor issues: 1.) The device doesn't like coils that are close to the end of their life... OR... 2.) It likes an atty that sits more shallow in the 510 adapter. Edit: Forgot to mention the third option... some atty's may need to be completely broken down for cleaning.

Just my observations over the past 2 days.

Last edited:

TheLordWinter

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2010
Detroit, MI
Started running a Merlin on the Charon and have to say that I have had no misfire issues with the Charon since. Must be caused by atty instability, but strange that same atty works fine on a DNA.

Not familiar with the Merlin, but my Limitless is the Tank/RDA model, so it comes apart for cleaning a bit more than the average atty. There was some cleaning to do, but it didn't look an outright mess, so I'm inclined to agree with you that instability seems to be the most likely culprit.

While I did shorten the pin a little on my atty by screwing it in, I find it odd and downright hard to believe that the pin being too long would cause anything other than fit issues for an atty.

I also agree that it is odd how it works on another mod. Perhaps the DNA is more sensitive in how it takes its readings? The DNA chips are the gold standard for the industry right now, after all... at least, that's my perception of the situation.

Reactions: Tpat591

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Does anyone have Smoant Charon Adjustable 218 yet? Just watched a couple of reviews. I haven't tried this type of mod yet & am curious about pros/cons.
I have one on the way
The Sharon TC was first my evaluated from Smoant & my reports of instability probably disqualified me from their eval list.

Anthony Vapes may still be on the list though & will probably have some info soon.
I have one on the way.
cons = pwm = no tc mode = I do not want
Most of the vv mods at least the ones I tested are fully regulated. Just cause a mid has only a lot doesn't make it pwm. You can safely fire them at .1 which you can't with a straight pwm.
Just an update on my situation. Ever since my last post, when I got the issue sorted, I have not had the problem with my Charon TC again and this thing vapes like an absolute champ. Best device I've ever owned, hands down.
Glad you love it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheLordWinter

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Most of the vv mods at least the ones I tested are fully regulated. Just cause a mid has only a lot doesn't make it pwm. You can safely fire them at .1 which you can't with a straight pwm.

If a mod can't vape (well) in TC mode I don't want it.

TheLordWinter

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2010
Detroit, MI
I am still waiting for their promised firmware upgrade. They said it would be this month but this month is all but over. I like the device but it does seem to run through batteries faster than some other mods I have. Not a big deal but I have noticed I seem to change batteries more often on the Charon.

The last device I had before the Charon that could do anything remotely decent with Stainless TC was the original Cuboid, and I went through at least two sets of batteries with that thing per day. Some times, I don't change the batts on the Charon for two days, but on average, I go through a set per day.

That said, I freely admit that I'm the type of person that sticks with one device until it wears out and then buys a direct replacement unless something better is available... meaning my experience with individual devices is limited at best.

I've been watching their facebook page and they've pushed the firmware and wattage curve software to July. I'm not particularly happy about that, myself... false advertising irks the crap out of me. I'm going to be disappointed if they don't deliver because they didn't have to lie to sell the device, the TCR mode is phenomenal on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread