Chasing Throat Hit, Using > 80mg in Pod Systems, Can Someone Please Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalijah

Jun 4, 2021
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help me with my throat hit problem. I'm now using the Uwell Koko Prime and I vape just one juice from Vapoureyes. Most juice flavours make me gag for some reason, so I found one I liked and I've stuck with it. It's a "ready to vape" juice with a VG:pG ratio if 70:30 (they also sell doublers at 84:16).

I purchase 100mg PG base nicotine salts and "spike" the "ready to vape" juice. I'm currently mixing 80mg juice - so to mix a 30ml bottle of juice I mix 24ml of the nicotine salts and 6ml of the ready to vape juice. It's good for the cravings but only has a good throat hit for 1-2 vapes, then it disappears mostly.

I'm worried about the ratio of nicotine to juice that I'm mixing, though I've been doing it for about 2-3 months now. I vape mouth to lung which is odd for pods, but I like it with the Koko Prime. I don't know what to do next, any help on getting a good throat hit would be amazing.

Thanks everyone!
Kalijah

• Creative
Reactions: Izan

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    @Opinionated thinks you are joking (or trolling) becuase...

- You say you are vaping 80mg juice.
    THIS IS A VERY HIGH CONCENTRATION OF NICOTINE TO VAPE.

If 80mg nic salt does not give you throat hit, you need to switch to regular nicotine (not salt) BUT YOU HAVE TO LOWER YOU STRENGTH. Start at 12mg and increase from there.

Last edited:

kalijah

Jun 4, 2021
    @UncleJunkle thank you, I worried it was too high. Even though I've been vaping this strength for about 4 weeks, I don't want to touch it now. Is there a strength you'd recommend that I can mix while I wait for the regular nicotine to arrive in the post? I'm using the Koko Prime pod system so it vapes at a low wattage.

Thank you for the help, I really do honestly appreciate it!

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    @UncleJunkle thank you, my motivation to seek help from a forum for the first time was that worry of a high concentration. I can't buy eliquid with nicotine in my country which is why I mix like this, but I have seen some off-the-shelf nic salt juices online with 50mg (and some people saying they buy 70mg).

The justification was pod systems vape at low temps, hence the really high nicotine values. I had figured that I'd need to switch away from nicotine salts as they produce a "smoother throat hit", is that right? Also when you say regular nicotine, that's "freebase nicotine"?

I can buy freebase nicotine but it'll take a while to arrive. Just to check I'm getting the math right, I need to mix 3.6ml of freebase nicotine with 26.4ml of "ready to vape" juice to reach 12mg strength, is that right?

Thank you for the help, I really do honestly appreciate it!

Salt nicotine is PH balanced in order to lessen the amount of throat hit you receive - that way you can use a little higher nicotine levels without tearing up your throat.

70mg containers of nicotine are sold as base, so that you can mix your own ejuice at concentrations you prefer (which never exceeds 50mg, and even that is super high and only beneficial to a long term (30+ years) heavy smoker, in order to get them through the withdrawals associated with the initial switch from cigarettes to vaping, and those high levels should be dropped after settling in with vaping.

As an example, my husband smoked about a pack and a half a day for 43 years. He switched on 50mg salts and after 8 months or so I cut his levels in half to 25mg. Now that he's had more time away from cigarettes I'll be dropping his levels down to 18mg next time I mix his juice for him.

make sense?

So if it's just throat hit your after then vape a 50%PG/50%VG mix of 18mg freebase nicotine ejuice (at the most), and use a device that has a drip tip (like the Zenith tank coupled with a small mod) and use the longer drip tips that are geared toward throat hit.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You say all juices you have tried make you gag except one.

From what you have said, you are mixing 24ml of 100MG to 6ml of ready to vape juice to get 30ml of 80MG. This means your ready to vape juice must be 0MG. But you are diluting it so much that it's a wonder that you even get any flavor at all. Also you your nic salt 100MG base is 100% PG so you are turning your juice into a very high PG juice. If your ready to vape juice is 70VG, you are turning it into 86PG, in fact.

XQx9yyz.png

Is there a strength you'd recommend that I can mix while I wait for the regular nicotine to arrive in the post?

Sorry I have no recommendation becuase you are telling me that you are vaping 80MG salt juice at 86%PG. If that has no throat hit for you then I don't see anything you can do to get any throat hit other than switch to freebase nicotine instead of nic salt.

Last edited:

kalijah

Jun 4, 2021
    @Opinionated yeah that makes sense, I had remembered something about nic salts being less harsh. I had purchased it because it was recommended over freebase for pod systems, which I've been using for the past couple of months.

@UncleJunkle and @YoursTruli the ready-to-vape juice is 0mg so I buy the nicotine overseas, I've purchased 100mg PG base nicotine salts.

@UncleJunkle the juices that made me gag were because of their flavours, I just didn't like any of them very much and after a while the taste of the juice would make me gag, nothing to do with nicotine or anything, purely just me being fussy and not liking the taste. You're spot on about the ratios, 24ml of nicotine salts and 6ml of the 0mg-ready-to-vape-juice to get a 30ml bottle of spiked juice to vape.

You're right, I don't get much flavour, but that never was the goal. I'm just looking to replace the analogues and to have a satisfying replacement at that. The company I buy from sells juices at 60mg but nothing over that, so I suppose that should be the upper limit of what I mix until the freebase nicotine arrives in the post? I've thrown this 80mg juice in a drawer and I'm not going to touch it again, so I'll need to mix up another bottle so I have something to vape in the mean time. Is 60mg the recommended max?

• Informative
    Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    When u try freebase nicotine u gonna get a good throat hit...can't imagine that this won't be enough for you....but I suggest in future to try slowly lower your nicotine levels cause the higher the nicotine the stronger the cravings u get...sooo it's nice if you try lower it and it works for you...if u feel it's not covering your nicotine needs then u go back to higher nicotine :)

• Useful
    Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    @Opinionated yeah that makes sense, I had remembered something about nic salts being less harsh. I had purchased it because it was recommended over freebase for pod systems, which I've been using for the past couple of months.

@UncleJunkle and @YoursTruli the ready-to-vape juice is 0mg so I buy the nicotine overseas, I've purchased 100mg PG base nicotine salts.

@UncleJunkle the juices that made me gag were because of their flavours, I just didn't like any of them very much and after a while the taste of the juice would make me gag, nothing to do with nicotine or anything, purely just me being fussy and not liking the taste. You're spot on about the ratios, 24ml of nicotine salts and 6ml of the 0mg-ready-to-vape-juice to get a 30ml bottle of spiked juice to vape.

You're right, I don't get much flavour, but that never was the goal. I'm just looking to replace the analogues and to have a satisfying replacement at that. The company I buy from sells juices at 60mg but nothing over that, so I suppose that should be the upper limit of what I mix until the freebase nicotine arrives in the post? I've thrown this 80mg juice in a drawer and I'm not going to touch it again, so I'll need to mix up another bottle so I have something to vape in the mean time. Is 60mg the recommended max?

yes, I would never ever go above that for any reason. I might even say 50mg max... you don't need more nicotine than that truly.

If I were you I would figure out the lowest amount possible to stave off the worst of the withdrawal symptoms - that should be the highest you ever use.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    If 80mg nic salt does not give you throat hit, you need to switch to regular nicotine (not salt) BUT YOU HAVE TO LOWER YOU STRENGTH. Start at 12mg and increase from there.

Yeah, the freebase nicotine is going to deliver the throat hit, but I totally agree with @UncleJunkle, start at 12mg and increase if you have to. But really, you should ultimately work towards going lower if you can.

Also, I'd double check on your math there, make sure you are actually vaping 80mg/ml now. Here is an eliquid calculator to help out: E-Liquid Calculator - Best DIY Vape eJuice Calculator

80mg/ml is extremely high and not really a place you want to be.

There are a few ways to increase throat hit.
    • Switch to freebase nicotine
    • Increase PG ratio
    • Increase wattage
    • Add a tiny amount of pure grain alcohol (I use Everclear 190 proof). Careful though, it's flammable, so you can't go heavy with it.
    It's possible your device isn't delivering the wattage for your style. It looks like your device only goes up to 15W. Personally, I use rebuildable atomizers on a box mod, but that's another topic entirely. Although if you do get a higher wattage device, I wouldn't try the 80mg you are using.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get your nicotine way down just by switching to freebase and increasing wattage by using a new device.

Just one more thought. Sometimes when you overdo something you become desensitized and build up a tolerance. You might consider cutting back the nicotine even if it's not as enjoyable just so your body can normalize. That's what I'd do anyway.

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help me with my throat hit problem. I'm now using the Uwell Koko Prime and I vape just one juice from Vapoureyes. Most juice flavours make me gag for some reason, so I found one I liked and I've stuck with it. It's a "ready to vape" juice with a VG:pG ratio if 70:30 (they also sell doublers at 84:16).

I purchase 100mg PG base nicotine salts and "spike" the "ready to vape" juice. I'm currently mixing 80mg juice - so to mix a 30ml bottle of juice I mix 24ml of the nicotine salts and 6ml of the ready to vape juice. It's good for the cravings but only has a good throat hit for 1-2 vapes, then it disappears mostly.

I'm worried about the ratio of nicotine to juice that I'm mixing, though I've been doing it for about 2-3 months now. I vape mouth to lung which is odd for pods, but I like it with the Koko Prime. I don't know what to do next, any help on getting a good throat hit would be amazing.

Thanks everyone!
    Kalijah

80 mg? That's legitimately dangerous bro. Take 20 hits and you could consume too much. Take care man!

Phayah

ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2009
    US
    I'm a huge throat hit junkie. The only way I was able to finally quit smoking (like a decade ago) was with Tasty Vapor Atomic Cinnacide at 40mg 100% PG. I now use PG ratio of 80-90 to VG at 18mg. TV is out of business now with the mail crap and apparently cinnamon is not so great for inhalation.

Imo, you will absolutely never get good throat hit with VG dominant liquid no matter what device you use, which is very sad because that seems to be all anyone wants to sell anymore.

Edit: Also, I use a big battery tank system. No nic salts. I tried my husband's device with nic salts and that's just not gonna work for me.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread