Cheap ultrasonic cleaners??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
I've been reading the various threads about using ultrasonic cleaners to speed up steep times with great interest. Unfortunately I really can't justify spending much money on something (an ultrasonic cleaner) that I would use very infrequently. I noticed that ebay has some cheap ones (plastic crap, less than five dollars) but I was thinking they might work well enough for this. Has anyone tried them??

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
$5 seems pretty cheap, did they say how long you can set the cleaning cycles? If it is just for 3 minutes or so might not be good, if they can be set to 30 minutes or higher for $5 they sound like they are worth a shot.

I would want one too then! :2cool:

They're pretty small, advertised for jewelry, dentures, etc. Supposedly you fill it with water and put the items in the water. Battery powered with no timer, just an on/off switch. (What do you expect for less than five dollars delivered? <grin> The very cheapest ones are from China/Hong Kong but for a dollar or two more, you can get one already in the US (saves on shipping time).)

I don't want to specify any seller in particular, just look for 'ultrasonic cleaner -scaler' and sort by cheapest first.

I already have one on the way, I guess I was just wondering if I'd totally wasted my money.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
As I said, it has no timer, just an on/off switch. I'd just set a timer to help me remember to turn it off after 30 minutes or 3 hours or whatever. I figured I'd fill up the container with warm-to-very-warm water and set the juice container in it.

I'll let you know how it works. It's already been shipped so I should have it within a few days (US seller).

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
As I said, it has no timer, just an on/off switch. I'd just set a timer to help me remember to turn it off after 30 minutes or 3 hours or whatever. I figured I'd fill up the container with warm-to-very-warm water and set the juice container in it.

I'll let you know how it works. It's already been shipped so I should have it within a few days (US seller).

Do you have a link to where you bought it?

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA

rustafar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Weeki Wachee, FL.
The cup size of these are only 3" x 1.5 ", so you could use it for 5ml to 10 ml bottles. probably too small to hold bigger bottles.
If you look at the Chinese models, they are the same.

Product size: about 7.5 cm in height, 9 cm in width. = 2.9" x 3.5
Container size: about 4 cm in height, 8 cm in width = 3" x 1.5 "
Russ.

Last edited:

jclifford

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
salem nh
did you ever think that maybe the US seller imported them from China and is re-selling them?

I use "real" ultrasonics in my job. A small unit, quart size cost in excess of $200.

Rather than buy a unit for $5.00, I would suggest a pot of warm water and shake it with your hand for free. The results will probably be the same.

buddywally

Jun 6, 2013
eugene, OR
Luckily I have a, lab-grade ultrasonic cleaner that I use for cleaning all of my atomizers, clearos and tanks. Soak overnight in 100proof ethanol, sonicate for however long (30min -2hr) rinse thrououghly, dry in sunny window, haven't had to trash any atomizer in 6 weeks. I'm gonna try speed-steeping my AVE and DarthVapers juice orders (both coming tomorrrow!) tomorrow.

BTW- lab sonicators tend to heat the ever-loving crap out of the bath solution, which hasn't been a problem for my applications, but is something to keep in mind, it seems to me that extended periods of time in regionally very hot temps might tend to denature flavor in ejuices. For cleaning applications, with PTFE, steel and hard plastics, it probably just helps.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for a UC. This is the one I have and what most people are getting for steeping.

Amazon.com: Joy4Less Professional Grade Ultrasonic Cleaner 4810, 30-min Timer, Plastic Basket: Health & Personal Care

Has a 30 minute timer, heat and 2.5 quart tank. I've steeped up to 10 1oz bottles of juice at a time in this and you could most likely fit 20 bottles in. Heat is a nessessary part of the UC steeping process I start the first cycle with heat and the rest of the cycles without heat. The temperature stays at a perfect level when it's done only on the first cycle. The UC action keeps the water heated after that.

Last edited:

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Here's the one I've been consider due to the power cycle options, has anyone seen comments from anybody about these?

Maxtra GB928 1L Industrial Lab Grade

QrhPTau.jpg

Industrial Grade Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner Heater for Lab Dental FCC App | eBay (ebay item # 160986813219)

I'm considering the 1 liter model above, it's $52 shipped, and looks like pretty good quality, no heater though but plenty of features and cheaper price.

60W - NO Heater - 5,10,15,20,25,30 Minute Working Cycles

ALL STAINLESS SUS304 Construction (body, tank, cover and mesh basket), very strong.
0.6L, 1L, is made of Technical grade plastic, also very strong.
Strengthened transducers.
Heating and ultrasonic cleaning work cooperatively
0.6L, 1L, no heater.
All come with STAINLESS steel Basket.
0.6L, 1L, come with plastic basket.
Industry IC -- To be steady in unstable voltage condition
Sealed housing, resistance of water and humidity.
Certification: CE, FCC
1 Year Warranty.

Although, that basket size concerns me (17 x 14 x 5.5 cm), maybe it's not tall enough for 30ml bottles even? Or would you use it with the basket removed anyway? If so, then still not sure, so hoping someone has tested this model (I'll ask later before I buy in the UC thread)

Last edited:

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
Although, that basket size concerns me (17 x 14 x 5.5 cm), maybe it's not tall enough for 30ml bottles even? Or would you use it with the basket removed anyway? If so, then still not sure, so hoping someone has tested this model (I'll ask later before I buy in the UC thread)

You really don't want to use it with the glass bottles sitting on the metal tub; IIRC it'll dampen the vibrations and can cause the transducer to burn out.

I bought an old Branson off of ebay for cleaning parts during scuba regulator rebuilds. Since we're not diving so much these days, it gets used for other tasks, steeping included :) I made a custom basket for it out of a 12x12 piece of stainless mesh from McMaster and a pair of 1/8" aluminum rods for positioning. This gives me adjustable depth so that I can keep the necks of the bottles above water (the tub is way too deep for normal e-juice bottles).

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
No doubt about it, both of those above are much better units. But 1) I'm cheap and 2) I think they're both overkill for me. I'm just one person who vapes maybe 2mL/day. If the cheap ultrasonic cleaner doesn't work worth a hoot, I just go without. Yes, one would be nice but not fifty or a hundred dollars nice.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Barabra,

I understand your thinking. I don't think what you are looking at is going to be of any use. There are cheaper ones out there with no heat and you really don't need the heat if you start with warm tap water. What you have to consider is the cycle times (3min, 8min, 30min) and the tank capacity. If you consider looking again at UC's just keep those considerations in mind while shopping around.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I've been using the $30 el cheapo Chicago Electric UC from Harbor Freight.
It's a 3 minute automatic but I use an elastic holding a piece of dogfood kibble to keep the on button down.
I use it for an hour at a time sometimes. Usually about a half hour.
I use a turkey baster to swap out hot/in cool water. No heater but it gets hot.

I've been abusing this poor SOB 3 or 4 nights a week for 2-3 hours/night and it's holding up like a champ.
It's been a couple of months and if it died tonight I'd say I got my money's worth

:2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread