Check out the Craftsmanship of VOOPOO X217 Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOPOO_Official

Brand Manager
ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2016
shenzhen,China
voopoo.com
Credit to u/darkDeluge from Reddit.

ee0b2e43-s_c9a0xj.jpg

The X217 is a dual 21700/20700/18650 device which utilizes resin, carbon fiber, and zinc alloy in it's construction. The X217 was originally a Woody Vapes designed device. At some point VooPoo acquired Woody Vapes and the X217 came along with it. They are still utilizing the Woody Vapes logo on the front of the device, however, the version of the X217 no longer has the Woody Vapes name on the back of the device or the box.

4ebfcbb6-s_say0k3.jpg

Regardless of how it is named, the X217 has stunning visual appeal and is a damn sexy device. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's jump off this review and start at the best place possible: the top.

04e0ef29-s_avboej.jpg

Top: The X217 has a large platform on top with a centered 510. The 'plate' is large and itself can accommodate about 26-28mm attys, with plenty of space on the side for larger attys. All told, the X217 handles 30mm attys with ease and can even go a bit larger. The 'plate' is held into place with two torq screws and the top of the device is secured with two more. Threading is very smooth on the X217 and the positive pin is spring loaded and gold plated.

65367c9e-s_s1aq0j.jpg

Buttons: The device utilizes the standard fire button/+&- combination that many devices do. On the front of the device towards the top is the fire button. The button is inlaid with whatever resin your version happens to be. The button itself doesn't really protrude much from the device, however, towards the bottom there is a groove that helps to set it apart. Below the screen are the +/- buttons that are combined on a rocker bar configuration. This bar is slightly raised from the device and is easily distinguishable when finger-feeling your way to it. All buttons have a nice click to them and don't feel squishy at all.

b67948db-s_eagus4.jpg

Battery Door/Tray: The button of the battery door is sleek and matches the rest of the aesthetics of the device. There are some battery venting holes below the door button, which is good to see. The button is very easy to slide open without having to pry a finger nail in there to force it open. The door is nice and springy. The door has very minimal movement to it when it is open and is done very well.

2bae712b-s_ixfbke.jpg

Battery contacts on the inside of the device are spring loaded and the battery orientation is clearly marked on the door. I have a few issues with the battery door/tray. When closing the door, it's a bit squishy and doesn't have a click or any sort of feedback to let me know it's definitely closed. However, it does stay closed securely so you don't have to worry about your batteries accidentally dumping out. One more thing, I did notice some slight battery rattle when giving it a good shaking. You're not likely going to be shaking it like I was, though, so you'll likely never notice it.

Size/Styling: For a dual 21700 device, the x217 is a fantastic size. I didn't do an actual comparison, but just looking at it, it seems to be about the size of the Smoant Cylon and probably very similar in size to a G-Class, maybe a touch larger but not by much. It's really the perfect size for me and I feel like this is probably the smallest you can get a dual 21700 device. The x217 itself isn't incredibly hefty, and while it does take on a bit of weight with two 21700 batteries in it, it doesn't feel overly heavy.

quarantin4ik_qngohs.jpg

The styling of the device was the main draw for me when I first saw it announced. It really screams elegance to me. The combination of the polished finish, carbon fiber accents, and resin inlays looks supurb. The LED strip on the front might not be everyone's cup-o-tea, and if that's the case you do have the option of turning it off, but I think it makes the device pop that much more. You would think the polished metal bits on it would be a fingerprint magnet, however, fingerprints aren't terribly noticeable. I'm not sure if it's the color that I have, but I only really notice them if I'm studying the device trying to find them. I don't really have anything negative to say about the styling, but if you want me to get nit-picky again, I will say that I noticed one side of the LEDs changes colors a little bit differently than the other and isn't always uniform. It's probably not something everyone is going to notice, but I did and figured I would mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread