The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

check out what smok did again ....

Discussion in 'Vape Pod Systems' started by SonnyCooL, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. chief63

chief63 Super Member ECF Veteran

Uses Nord coils so already better than the Orion. If the drip tip stays attached to the pod it will be way better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Jazzman

Jazzman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    The Smok website product page in the first post did say firmware upgradeable for this device. So yes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jazzman

Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    I wouldn't go quite that far as to say 90% like the Orion yet. There is a big difference between the manufacturer being able to make changes they desire with an upgrade and the eScribe software letting the user have a tremendous amount of control over how they want the device to operate and what features they want to alter. We'll just have to wait to see how Smok handles the user interface with user customization if that will even exist. It could be like almost all other mods with firmware upgrades that will only be used if bugs crop up so it can be fixed. Too early to tell I think.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2018
    is 510 DT compatible ... so should be no issue on DT.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SonnyCooL

Jan 12, 2018
    why no +/- button for increase/reduce wattage .... i do believe this day ain't far for pod :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jazzman

Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    I have never had a drip tip problem on either of my Orions and judging by the small number of complaints I've seen on that I don't think it was widespread problem. But I know for the few that had that issue it definitely was an issue. So I'll just leave that alone.

For the Nord coils though, that would be a resounding improvement over the Orion. As I've said many times, the Orion mod is a work of craftmanship and beauty to me. I think it is the best pod from both the DNA Go and workmanship perspective. Just a beautifully engineered device. But the coil and wicking system are horrid with muted flavors and poor life overall. I'm waiting to see if Lost Vape will redesign the pods to bring them up to the level of the rest of the device so I can start using my Orions again. I would love to if they can find a way to make the pods work to a level of the Nord or so many other mods I have flavor wise. The flavor of the Nord, and even the Novo, is really, really good in comparison.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ArminF

ArminF Senior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Switzerland
    Would be good if those companies would sit together. So everyone would have a piece of the cake and we the sweetest flavour out of all...
    Imagine - DNA Go with replaceable pods and coils from a company who knows how to do them.
    Win - Win - Win for all of us... BUT no.. everyone is cooking his own soups. And they take a few VIP vapers into their work instead of craftsman like Lost Vape.

Ok, i tried it once on my own to oursource a mod to Asia. Yiloong messed it up completely. And do not even think about i got money for my work and design... I set all of my design to open source anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. SonnyCooL

Jan 12, 2018
    size compare Trinity alpha vs Orion DNA go :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. ArminF

ArminF Senior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Switzerland
    30 Watt and kind of auto pod detection. Ich hope their soft/normal/hard option will help here to get more heat to the coils.

With my sweet dessert liquids in need more heat as soon as the first layer of burnt liquid is on the coil.
    Revived a Smok Nord yesterday. First impression from that 0.8 MTL Mesh Coil was fantastic. Second refill after 2 hours of charging (which is a mess) for 1100 mah the flavour got muted as more wattage would be needed to provide the same result. Compared to the PAL 2 the flavour on the pal is a bit better but really not much. Will take both to Istanbul in three weeks and today for another outdoor adventure with my son.

Purge Mods, orchid and squid are coming with Orion styled systems too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SonnyCooL

Jan 12, 2018
    how u compare 0.8mesh vs 0.6mesh on nord ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ArminF

ArminF Senior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Switzerland
    compared by draw/taste and volume. So a personal opinion.
    Resistance is thickness of wire and surface/length. Same for mesh.
    The PAL coils are smaller. So less mesh. I think both use Kanthal as it is most heat resistant.
    So as smaller as more heat and faster ramp up time is expected which ends up in better flavour. Especially from liquids with several nuances like dessert, creme or sweet compositions. The 0.8 and 0.6 from the pal do perform pretty the same but after a few refills the 0.6 delivers a slighty better taste. I guess as it provides more heat due to less surface.

From the airflow i like the 0.8 and the PAL with 60/70% closed airflow are pretty the same.
    The 0.6 Coil from the Nord has a nearly tripple as large air intake and cannot be adjusted.

Both coils ramp up pretty fast thats what i like from mesh and deliver a decent amount of volume.
    Compared to a new coilhead for my liquids the volume and taste gets less after the second or third refill.
    As the coil is already plated with burnt whatever rest of liquid, sweetener or "sugar" it does not heat up as much as a new one. Here i usually use the preheat function on my mods or just raise the power a bit. Same for cool air so autumn, winter and spring until the temperature difference is not as high anymore. To start i choose 15 watt and after a few refills i raise to 17 for example. So the heat is the same and the taste stays until the cotton and coil are so dirty that a replacement is needed.

I do like the mesh technology and think this will be the future. Why heating up a round wire where a flat would do better. Same for surface. Thinner mesh wide spread around the cotton.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ArminF

ArminF Senior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Switzerland
    Smok Life

F0F93C90-6F1E-4FB5-B934-DFF627D18D78.jpeg 7C4E51A6-F97C-4664-AAFF-55CAAC05AFBA.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. SonnyCooL

Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ArminF

ArminF Senior Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Switzerland
    i hope that they go away from the shiny gold. matte finish in gold would be great.
    already checked how i could modify or sand mine to matte finish.

PS: mine is black :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. SonnyCooL

Jan 12, 2018
    i wanted that silver but it clearly state Prism CHrome, dislike other color n don't like black or dark color pod (i will lost or misplace it) :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I think it LOOKS lovely, and I will say it again, Smok should convert itself to a "customize your mod" company and they could make bank. I seriously think they do color and design so well.

I haven't heard much about Smok pods blowing up, perhaps this type of thing is going to be their niche and they will do it better.....

I'm still never gonna buy a smok designed mod, but I would most emphatically be willing to send a couple of my dingier mods in for a design (custom) facelift. Etc.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. drysprocket

drysprocket Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Looks really sexy, but no adjustable airflow likely means it's a no-go for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Just because it is firmware upgradable doesn't mean it will ever get an upgrade. SMOK typically doesn't make a product for long before they stop making it and move on to the next thing. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure they have made some products firmware upgradable before but never realeased an update despite there being some problems that could have used a fix. It's just their M.O.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TrollDragon

TrollDragon Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Many companies speak about upgradable firmware and never deliver, it's a selling feature for the likes of Smok, iJoy and others of their ilk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jazzman

Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    So true @ScottP . Fortunately there are other companies like Evolve that strive to perfect even older devices with escribe and firmware updates from the first models that were USB upgradable. Escribe will even tell you if a firmware update is available without having to research to find out your self every time you connect a device to escribe. Evolve resisted going the update route for a long time before they decided it was a good thing to do, but when they made the decision to do it I think they have implemented it better than anyone. YiHi and eLeaf have a pretty good track record also with updates when they are needed. But yeah, upgrades only matter as a selling point if the manufacturer use it for upgrades rather than just a selling point while never delivering the upgrades.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.