Chemical & Engineering News article - Re: e-cigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dated August 11, 2008

Electronic cigarettes—a digital way to light up

Regulators around the world are just starting to react to the e-cigarettes: According to CNN, Ruyan is being assessed by Food & Drug Administration regulators. Last July, the French Ministry of Health released a general public warning about e-cigarettes. They are worried that an e-cigarette’s propylene glycol could be an irritant, and they warn that the solvent can also cause neurological symptoms similar to inebriation. Meanwhile, German regulators are worried about trace amounts of formaldehyde. But are all these worse than the myriad carcinogens present in cigarette smoke?

On the surface, e-cigarettes may seem less harmful than normal cigarettes and they are a good source of comic relief. But it’s time some serious scientific evaluations informed the regulation of these nicotine-dispensing devices.

Are you stocked up?

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
you know, im kind of hoping they dont just stop at ruyan. it would love an alalysis of all the generic carts i use. i dont trust some random factory in china to be concerned about my long term health effects. perhaps ruyan and the big names play by the rules with their mixture but god knows what crud the others put in their carts.

these product are from the same country that sent us tainted dog-food, faulty tires, toys with lead, medication that killed thousands. they have a bad record and if they even just use oils, which im half-suspectecing they might, to flavour the liquid - we're all done for and the cig companies will be laughing loud.

so me, im kind of hoping they'll get on it with it and do the tests. i figure we'll always be able to get our suplies if we want them cause A. you cant ban the device on its own...and B. you cant ban e-liquid on its own. get them shipped seperately and its the user's fault if you put 1 and 1 together..its like they cant ban police detectors being bought and sold. its not the sellers fault how its used.

Last edited:

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
Yup- looksl iek big tobacco is paying the big Pharma to attack the Ecigg- "On the surface, e-cigarettes may seem less harmful than normal cigarettes"

On the surface? How abotu any which way you slice it? Ecigss are far safer than regular cigarettes- end of story! They don't contain over 4000 CHEMICALS! My goodness- al lthey can come up with so far is that it MIGHT be an irritant- an irritant? Cripes- breahtign smog in cities is an irritant- breathign in rag weed is an irritant- these irritants are still far far safer than the 4000 irritants coming fro mthe CHEMICALS in cigarettes! Eciggs contain none of them- it contains one POSSIBLE irritant that only a small minority might have slight reactiosn to that certainly isn't deadly- just an irritation.

Yuo watch- they'll play htis 'irritant' issue up like it's a third world bubonic plague and scare hte public over nothing.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Naz, here's the blunt truth: There is no proof that e-smoking is safe. Wishing won't cut it when regulation is at stake. "Common sense" won't cut it. Anecdotes are useless. Hope is only a girl's name.

Only scientific proof in the form of clinical studies done by reputable researchers will get a hearing at all. Ruyan is the only player in this game with its corporate head on straight. It knows what must be done -- and it's funding the research.

The lead on that article is just a writer being cute. This is a notice, nothing more, that our "toys" deserve regulation of their contents. And, yes, they all need inspection and individual approval. Just because Ruyan is safe doesn't mean E-Cig is. Or LoongTotem. Or GreenCig. Each company will need clinical tests of its offerings, leading to regulation of its contents.

One item you'll understand, Naz, because you mentioned it in another post: What if propylene glycol inhalation at the rate we do it leads to lactic acidosis? What if liver or kidney failure follows -- faster than lung cancer in a cigarette smoker? Can we be sure that won't happen? No. We're flying blind on faith. We have no idea where we're going.

We know propylene glycol breaks down to lactic acid and moves into our blood stream. We know sore muscles are a common complaint. But has anyone ever forced so much lactic acid into a blood stream before we began inhaling PG?

I found this medical quote: Prognosis of Lactic Acidosis: Treatment is usually successful if early enough. However, untreated LA can be dangerous, even fatal.

I'm not angry at anyone seeking to research our practice. Sucking a chemical into our lungs with unknown long-term consequences is not a gamble we should want to take. I know I don't.

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
U.K. Halifax West Yorkshire
I am now thinking about stopping smoking e-cigs.
I read so many posts about he bad things that can happen.
It is such a shame that it is taking so long to find out if they are harfull.
I myself thought when I started that it was so good it has got me off real fags but not knowing what damage I may be doing is realy getting to me.
I am now at a crossroads and I dont know were to go its such a hard choice.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
To obtain nicotine, which is about the only reason people smoke tobacco, you cannot choose a worse source than cigarettes. That said, if you're uncomfortable with non-stop e-smoking, look into the alternatives section of this forum.

We have plenty of forum members, myself included, who use snus every day. I use Stonewall tobacco bits in java flavor, every day. You can puff a pipe and know that pipe smokers outlive even non-smokers (but never inhale that smoke). Whatever you do, make it safer than any fears you have for e-smoking. Believe me, that safer practice is not smoking cigarettes.

Good luck staying off the hard stuff.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Some people just quit (lucky them). Some people have a terrible time breaking the addiction (I'm one of 'em). So I've suggested before and suggest again to "throw the book" at your habit. Don't think you can only e-smoke or only do one thing at a time. Use what feels right at the moment. I've read that you have a harder time in the UK getting tobacco substitutes that I can just buy at my local tobacco store. So you might have to order from the Internet to get items like snus, if you think you might want them. Good luck. I know how very hard it is to relegate the satisfying and familiar smoke to history.

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
It is going to be tough to justify and certify the use of e-cigs.....in general.....until a full clinical and chemical and end results tabled out for all to see and be known of it ...much work need to be done to assure it's safety..but nothing is perfect, every human creation has it's flaws and a potential life threatening risks......look around...everything around you has a potential to be dangerous if used unwisely..nothing is safe unless it is contained...so goes for our e-cigs...they will find fault and find it they will....but at least we know..albeit slowly and all we need now is time.....I hope for the best and further advancement in this field...we need it , the world needs it.....

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
U.K. Halifax West Yorkshire
Well after a long thought I have decided to stick with the e-cig for about 16-20 weeks reducing the nicotine at intervals that I feel comfy with. After that time I will try going on say gum or patches for a few weeks. I feel this way I will get the tobacco smoking out of my system and will only be left with a small nicotine dependancy The e-cig my be as bad or worse or better than normal fags time will only tell. The one main thing that I have noticed is when I did quit in 1995 for a while I felt great. Now I am using an e-cig I do feel like I can breath a lot better and I dont cough like mad first thing in the morning. But the one thing that I have also noticed I feel knackered all the time and have no get and go. The other problem is that I have been getting a lot of head aches since e-smoking and that is something I never get.

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
Well after a long thought I have decided to stick with the e-cig for about 16-20 weeks reducing the nicotine at intervals that I feel comfy with. After that time I will try going on say gum or patches for a few weeks. I feel this way I will get the tobacco smoking out of my system and will only be left with a small nicotine dependancy The e-cig my be as bad or worse or better than normal fags time will only tell. The one main thing that I have noticed is when I did quit in 1995 for a while I felt great. Now I am using an e-cig I do feel like I can breath a lot better and I dont cough like mad first thing in the morning. But the one thing that I have also noticed I feel knackered all the time and have no get and go. The other problem is that I have been getting a lot of head aches since e-smoking and that is something I never get.

what is knackered all the time means?:confused:

lukewells

Aug 13, 2008
www.arcadeuk.com
I understand that we are dealing with the unknown here with e-cigs

I have been addicted to smoking cigarettes for many years.

We all know they _are_ very very very bad for us and will almost certainly lead to serious health problems down the line, yet we've all been smoking them.

We (in the UK) have even been ignoring that warning labels printed on every packet of cigarettes that has statements such as "SMOKING KILLS" in big black letters on a white background covering 50% of both the front and back of the packet, but we carried on smoking them.

As e-smoking has stopped me smoking real cigs which as I say we know are _BAD_ I am quite happy at taking a risk with the unknown and e-cigs. Common sense is currently saying (until studies are done) that e-cigs _must_ be better than real cigs.

Bring on the testing! I look forward to finding out what I have been inhaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread