Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Most have probably heard the warning about using the grey Panasonic CGR18650CH hybrid 18650's with this mod due to the fact that the skin of the battery doesn't wrap around the bottom of it causing it to fire continuously because the end of the battery sits against the bottom cap.
But there's more, a lot of batteries, the Sony 30 amp 18650 for example, have a button like piece on the negative end which on some batteries sticks out past where the skin wraps around the bottom of it.
The throw on this mod is so short that using a battery with a protruding negative contact causes it to fire just by screwing it together.
Luckily I have some MNKE 18650's and the skin is the lowest point on those.
So keep an eye out for this if you get one of these, I don't know if this applies to the original and the other clones of the CHI you or not so take a look.
The red arrow points to where the negative end of the battery sits.
1375319_672604892763738_985553487_n.jpg

Note how close the contact is to the bottom of where the battery sits.(not my cap)

My remedy for this was to sand down the head of the screw in the center of the cap in the picture, very little can be removed or else it won't make contact with the bottom of the battery. The throw is that short.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Seems to be missing an all to important delrin ring.
Maybe a trip to Lowes for a Nylon washer?

Of the thousands of batteries I've used in my life time (now 60) I've never seen a protruding Negative except in specialty application batteries.(purpose built)

Viewed from the side the metal button on the green one clearly is out past the skin.
1384015_672652562758971_423467_n.jpg

An alkaline Duracell "D's" negative sticks out past the jacket also so it's nothing unusual.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Now on the other end there is a problem of a different nature but easily remedied, the adjustable screw for the telescoping 510 center pin doesn't have enough length to fit a 65 mm 18650 without having the screw ready to fall out. A 67mm 18650 like the one below will fit just fine. (This Efest battery is a Panasonic relabeled BTW)
18650-2250mAh-IMR-button-top.jpg

So here's my fix for that although I will have to replace my screw with the original to use 67 mm batteries but I don't see that as happening. The screw I used is what a computer motherboard is mounted into a case on, there are maybe four different thread sizes that have been used by various manufactures over the years so you have to find the one that fits. I had to cut it down some on both ends.
1375135_672799466077614_1797545351_n.jpg

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
My chi clone does not automatically fire on Sony or Panasonic 18650 batteries.

Greg W.
How far do you have to push the fire button before it does and it it the one for $27 from Fasttech?
This is the style of Panasonic that fires without pushing the fire button, it's because the skin doesn't cover the bottom edge of the battery.
On the Sony it's a different reason.
$T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!G)zBRSq!zOh(w~~60_1.JPG

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
How far do you have to push the fire button before it does and it it the one for $27 from Fasttech?
This is the style of Panasonic that fires without pushing the fire button, it's because the skin doesn't cover the bottom edge of the battery.
On the Sony it's a different reason.
$T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!G)zBRSq!zOh(w~~60_1.JPG

Obviously more thing to look out for on batteries. I don't believe the real Chi has delrin at the bottom either.

Half the distance that the fire button sits away from the bottom of the mech when it is unlocked.

Greg w.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Obviously more thing to look out for on batteries. I don't believe the real Chi has delrin at the bottom either.

Half the distance that the fire button sits away from the bottom of the mech when it is unlocked.

Greg w.
Yes the real Chi has this problem with this style of battery wrap, that is where I first learned about it.
Oh and no delrin piece on the original either.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
So now that I have the "bugs" taken care of I can say that I really like this mod, especially for $27 delivered.
I have been trying to determine it's manufacturer and I pretty much think it's Hcigar even though the contacts aren't silver plated.
Any ideas about who make this $27 Fasttech CHI you?

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
You could always rewrap your batteries.....................
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1323901
I've done this to several of my cells.
FT has 18650 wrap in several colors.
Funny you mention it... While wondering a local electronics supply warehouse, I tripped over a bag of those 2m X 29mm, florescent yellow and red, thin wall HT shrink tube "scrap pieces"... for $8. :blink:

Every battery I own has two layers... more for a snug fit than for an added layer of protection. ;-)

The only suggestion I can offer when using shrink tube on 18XXX batteries, is to let it overhang the ends by about 1/4"-5/16"... once it shrinks, it will "close" over the battery ends, and you trim it with a fresh single edge razor blade to the level of "end coverage" you prefer.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
I have several panny cgr 2200s that I scavenged out of laptop cells that I covered with the ft shrink wrap.
Works great.
Yea, about 1/4 inch overlap produces a perfect edge hugging the cell.
I'll post a pic when I get home.
In the meantime, still waiting on my chi u from ft.
Been sitting in hk post for almost 4 weeks. :(

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
I have several panny cgr 2200s that I scavenged out of laptop cells that I covered with the ft shrink wrap.
Works great.
Yea, about 1/4 inch overlap produces a perfect edge hugging the cell.
I'll post a pic when I get home.
In the meantime, still waiting on my chi u from ft.
Been sitting in hk post for almost 4 weeks. :(
Mine was at HK Air for what seemed forever and then finally the next scan was my local post office.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
ive sumised the same as you, dwc. HCigar is likely the mfgr of the $27 chi you. i have one and its badass. i run the mnke in mine with fantastic results.

thanks for the tip on the sonys and the protruding negative.

You could always rewrap your batteries.....................
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1323901
I've done this to several of my cells.
FT has 18650 wrap in several colors.

would this alleviate the sony extended neg problem? i dont think so, but just wondering your thoughts. i assume this is the fix for the pannys, which ive seen work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread