Chicago pre-empted from taxing tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Well now. You Didn't Expect the good Mayor to check and see if what He wants to do is Legal or Not did you?
The Mayor, the media. I can't imagine that the ANTZ who fought to try to pass legislation undoing the restriction, didn't know about it when backing Rahm's tax proposals.

Reactions: zoiDman

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

"Moreover, on Jan. 13, 2011, Resolution R2011-19 was introduced before the Chicago City Council urging the Illinois legislature to amend Section 5/8-11-6(a) to “permit home rule units of government in the State of Illinois to have the authority to tax any and all tobacco products.” The resolution acknowledged that while Chicago presently has the authority to tax cigarettes, a change in state law is required to authorize home rule municipalities to tax other tobacco products. The resolution subsequently failed to pass the Chicago City Council on May 18, 2011. "

Seems like we would come under "other tobacco products". Though I'm not sure where "Chicago presently has the authority to tax cigarettes" comes from. The article seems to be suggesting that it's OK for Chicago to tax cigarettes, but not other tobacco products, even rolling tobacco. Maybe they did tax cigarettes before 93.

On the downside the prohibition only seems to apply to taxes, and not to all the other stuff like age limits, packaging sizes, etc.

Nice to see them shoot themselves in the foot though.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch

Vapor4Life has been forced to close its Lincoln Square vape shop as of February 1, 2016, due to Chicago’s vape taxes. We are still available online and in Northbrook to help customers smoke smarter. To learn more about Vapor4Life and how to smoke smarter, check out our site. The following is a word from our founder and product inventor, Steve SMILIN Milin.

Man oh man, the money buys power! The power taxes the people. The people suffer from a lack of choices and America’s freedom is lost again. Rahm Emanuel wants to kill you and make people believe it’s for the good. He wants to stamp out vaping with abusive vape taxes so big tobacco can keep murdering the public by the millions. Why, Rahm, be such a hypocrite? You tax the poor, the middle class, and take money from the rich. You sell your soul.

I will not have any business in Chicago because you are killing constituents, homeowners, taxpayers, and businesses, as well as your reputation. I am now forced to close my vaping store in Lincoln Square due to your abusive taxes to customers.

We BELIEVE our products save lives. And compared to cigarettes, they are proven to be 95-99% less harmful. So why is there so much ignorance regarding the industry? I will tell you why. Big tobacco. Big bucks. Big business. Disinformation. Control of the media. Buying politicians like you. You say you want to help, but just read the papers now. It’s like the old joke goes: how do you know when a politician is lying? They open their mouth. Reality is, you’re being found out now in so many more ways than just killing people because you force them to keep smoking.

I smoked (PAST TENSE) for 40 years, buried both my parents, and could not quit. It is not nicotine that addicts smokers. In actuality, it is the chemical cocktail of death, which big tobacco has been researching, modifying, and concocting, to be more addictive than ....... Nicotine’s closest chemical is caffeine. Both are out of your body in about three days. The chemical cocktail of death wreaks havoc on your body for several months, but you wouldn’t know because you bury you head somewhere in big tobacco. Why? It’s the money, Rahm. Look at Chicago’s anti-vaping campaign. The city is broke. Where’d the money come from for that? Huh? Get the picture?

So, today, I no longer will have my store, Vapor4Life, in Chicago. Why? Because I can not rip off my customers like you rip off your city. Ya, see, i sell my juice for $13.99. I have to pre-pay you $17.40 per bottle. Then, when my customer wants one, he or she has to pay your greedy Chicago vape taxes for trying to smoke smarter and do less harm to his or her body.

I see in your new tax act, you have added very little tax to big tobacco’s pre-packaged cigarettes. Of course, big tobacco doesn’t frickin’ care either way because they don’t pay. Your city doesn’t pay. Chicagoans pay. And when they want to smoke more pure and natural roll-your-own tobacco (which is legal by the way, and a choice we are supposed to have as adults in a free society) you have raised the taxes on one ounce astronomically. $6.60 per ounce! All of the sudden, you decide you need to raise a million bucks in taxes to Chicago smokers, so you can solve the problem of a two-week camp for school kids. You really care about education, don’t you, Rahm? How much ya gonna tax? Are ya nuts?!? If you would like to talk, I am more than happy, as vaping is, in my mind and in the minds of many many others, more of a harm reduction and the best way to smoke smarter, not gain weight, and live an enhanced lifestyle. Bye, bye, Chicago. We are now closed in the city.

Hello, family, the city store may have closed, but I ain’t goin’ nowhere! We are here for you online 24-7 OR AT 4100 COMMERCIAL AVE NORTHBROOK, IL 60062. Here’s my story.I haven’t had a cigarette since 2008. And I’ve lost about 100 pounds. I spent years overseas and millions of dollars to invent and create the perfect smoking substitute. 95-99% less harmful, infinitely better-tasting. 7 choices of nicotine level, so you can titrate yourself down to zero if you choose.Our family is here to consult and help you on your journey. Email my assistant, Lisa Marie Farver at lisamarie@vapor4life.com if you have any questions or need tips. WE BELIEVE Vapor4life saves lives for a living. We would love to help save yours.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
The article seems to be suggesting that it's OK for Chicago to tax cigarettes, but not other tobacco products, even rolling tobacco. Maybe they did tax cigarettes before 93.
This thread is mis-titled. Yes, they're saying they have the authority to tax, and raise taxes on cigarettes, but not 'other tobacco products' (smokless tobacco, vaping, etc.). Not sure about the origins of the Chicago cigarette tax.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

Vapor4Life has been forced to close its Lincoln Square vape shop as of February 1, 2016, due to Chicago’s vape taxes. We are still available online and in Northbrook to help customers smoke smarter. To learn more about Vapor4Life and how to smoke smarter, check out our site. The following is a word from our founder and product inventor, Steve SMILIN Milin.

Man oh man, the money buys power! The power taxes the people. The people suffer from a lack of choices and America’s freedom is lost again. Rahm Emanuel wants to kill you and make people believe it’s for the good. He wants to stamp out vaping with abusive vape taxes so big tobacco can keep murdering the public by the millions. Why, Rahm, be such a hypocrite? You tax the poor, the middle class, and take money from the rich. You sell your soul.

I will not have any business in Chicago because you are killing constituents, homeowners, taxpayers, and businesses, as well as your reputation. I am now forced to close my vaping store in Lincoln Square due to your abusive taxes to customers.

We BELIEVE our products save lives. And compared to cigarettes, they are proven to be 95-99% less harmful. So why is there so much ignorance regarding the industry? I will tell you why. Big tobacco. Big bucks. Big business. Disinformation. Control of the media. Buying politicians like you. You say you want to help, but just read the papers now. It’s like the old joke goes: how do you know when a politician is lying? They open their mouth. Reality is, you’re being found out now in so many more ways than just killing people because you force them to keep smoking.

I smoked (PAST TENSE) for 40 years, buried both my parents, and could not quit. It is not nicotine that addicts smokers. In actuality, it is the chemical cocktail of death, which big tobacco has been researching, modifying, and concocting, to be more addictive than ....... Nicotine’s closest chemical is caffeine. Both are out of your body in about three days. The chemical cocktail of death wreaks havoc on your body for several months, but you wouldn’t know because you bury you head somewhere in big tobacco. Why? It’s the money, Rahm. Look at Chicago’s anti-vaping campaign. The city is broke. Where’d the money come from for that? Huh? Get the picture?

So, today, I no longer will have my store, Vapor4Life, in Chicago. Why? Because I can not rip off my customers like you rip off your city. Ya, see, i sell my juice for $13.99. I have to pre-pay you $17.40 per bottle. Then, when my customer wants one, he or she has to pay your greedy Chicago vape taxes for trying to smoke smarter and do less harm to his or her body.

I see in your new tax act, you have added very little tax to big tobacco’s pre-packaged cigarettes. Of course, big tobacco doesn’t frickin’ care either way because they don’t pay. Your city doesn’t pay. Chicagoans pay. And when they want to smoke more pure and natural roll-your-own tobacco (which is legal by the way, and a choice we are supposed to have as adults in a free society) you have raised the taxes on one ounce astronomically. $6.60 per ounce! All of the sudden, you decide you need to raise a million bucks in taxes to Chicago smokers, so you can solve the problem of a two-week camp for school kids. You really care about education, don’t you, Rahm? How much ya gonna tax? Are ya nuts?!? If you would like to talk, I am more than happy, as vaping is, in my mind and in the minds of many many others, more of a harm reduction and the best way to smoke smarter, not gain weight, and live an enhanced lifestyle. Bye, bye, Chicago. We are now closed in the city.

Hello, family, the city store may have closed, but I ain’t goin’ nowhere! We are here for you online 24-7 OR AT 4100 COMMERCIAL AVE NORTHBROOK, IL 60062. Here’s my story.I haven’t had a cigarette since 2008. And I’ve lost about 100 pounds. I spent years overseas and millions of dollars to invent and create the perfect smoking substitute. 95-99% less harmful, infinitely better-tasting. 7 choices of nicotine level, so you can titrate yourself down to zero if you choose.Our family is here to consult and help you on your journey. Email my assistant, Lisa Marie Farver at lisamarie@vapor4life.com if you have any questions or need tips. WE BELIEVE Vapor4life saves lives for a living. We would love to help save yours.

You can't blame it all on Big Tobacco, or even only politicians and Big Tobacco.

The article links to another V4L article on the rollout of Chicago's "The Truth About Vaping" campaign. It's a disinformation blitz, which includes a project similar to San Francisco's CurbIt. It was Rahm's Christmas gift to vapers. I haven't been in the city in a while, so I haven't seen any of the posters.

City of Chicago :: Tobacco Prevention

City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel and the Department of Public Health Announce Campaign to Reduce and Prevent Youth Vaping

Hijacked on twitter:

#vapingtruth hashtag on Twitter

Reactions: Katya

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Wait, how was the purchase/possession by minors law implemented, as a stand-alone or as an amendment? If it was an amendment to an existing tobacco law, maybe vapor products are preempted too.
That Illinois legislation only pre-empts taxing and tax increasing.

EDIT: My response, I guess, is beside the point. Maybe the best hope is that the Mayor is run out of town, sooner than expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: skoony
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread