Children in a vape cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
There is a local vapor cafe I visit 3-4 times a week to hang out, work, and attend events they have. They also serve coffee so it's perfect to just hang out, work, and vape without being judged. It's also nice to meet the people here that have the similar love in vaping.

As I sit here, for some reason I feel this internal rage come over me when there are children in here. As I look toward the front of the cafe from the back, there is a cloud of vapor in the air. In that cloud of vapor, there is a child whom cannot be more then 4 to 5 years of age. As a father of a 4 year old daughter, I couldn't fathom bringing her in here. I don't even vape around her as I have to believe the vapor emitted into the air must have some trace of nicotine in it.

Am I wrong in feeling this way? This is the second time I've seen a child in here and it bothers me. I am getting to know the owners so I will mention something to them in due time, but has anyone else experienced this?

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I don't think you're wrong at all, I try to keep the vape down around my dogs I couldn't imagine a parent thinking it's fine for a kid.

Exactly - as I stare over she is surrounded by vapor. This is not a good scene for the vaping community as we are already criticized as it is by upcoming legislation and law. Let the wrong person see this and it's more fuel to the fire AGAINST vaping.

I'm all for the promotion and support of a safer alternative to smoking - but the key word I am using here is safer. To me, young lungs shouldn't be exposed to this.

Not to mention it's ruining my experience here as I don't want to vape and contribute.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
You realize that several vegetables contain nicotine. ;)
This is a great read on nicotine The Great Nicotine Myth

I seriously doubt the vapor causes the kiddies any harm, public perception is another matter.

And what if said child has one of the PG/VG sensitivities so widely discussed on this forum? Take the child to vape cafes to find out or just abstain from doing so until the child can be watched by someone else to be safe? I know with my step children I would err on the side of caution rather than going with "let's see what happens".

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    OP- In life, I've taken to notice that things do indeed change, even when we don't see that at the time.

My neighbor with the rowdy muffler will sooner or later change it, the kids will stop messing up my yard, the teen speeding thru the neighborhood will not be for long.

People change their habits, or we change ourselves.

Tyfghter

Apr 14, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    I'm all for the promotion and support of a safer alternative to smoking - but the key word I am using here is safer. To me, young lungs shouldn't be exposed to this.

This. Nothing is definitely, and at the end of the day we don't know exactly if there are any negative long term side effects, but I will not take any chances. The moment we found out my SO was pregnant, we treated vapor like analog smoke... I don't use it around her, and definitely not in the house.

I honestly believe it's healthier than a cigarette, but still

ReigntheGamer

ECF Veteran
    Oct 14, 2014
    OP- In life, I've taken to notice that things do indeed change, even when we don't see that at the time.

My neighbor with the rowdy muffler will sooner or later change it, the kids will stop messing up my yard, the teen speeding thru the neighborhood will not be for long.

Damn do you live in my neighborhood? :lol: It sounds like we have the same people living next to us, all that's missing is the neighbor with the aggressive daschunds that try to bite my dogs under the gap in the fence. :D

CardinalWinds

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 25, 2009
    Vermont, USA
    I've only been to one B&M ever because this is Vermont and we're lucky to even have electricity and phones, so maybe I'm under experienced in that regard, but don't most vape shops have a sign on the door that says "No persons under the age of 18 allowed" or some such similar language?

If not, the shop owner is an idiot from a preservation of vaping and a preservation of business standpoint alone, independent of whether or not he or she personally approves of children in such a place. Talk about stupid business practices...

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2014
    Tampa, Florida

For some reason, the older I get, the more I enjoy the loud mufflers on my Mustang GT. Something about the V8 singing when I stomp on it with offroad pipes and Flowmasters makes my day better - but that's up for a different discussion. Now the sound system, I've downgraded that. I don't know if the V8 rumble will ever get old.

ReigntheGamer

ECF Veteran
    Oct 14, 2014
    I've only been to one B&M ever because this is Vermont and we're lucky to even have electricity and phones, so maybe I'm under experienced in that regard, but don't most vape shops have a sign on the door that says "No persons under the age of 18 allowed" or some such similar language?

If not, the shop owner is an idiot from a preservation of vaping and a preservation of business standpoint alone, independent of whether or not he or she personally approves of children in such a place. Talk about stupid business practices...

One of the last times I was in a B&M a mother brought in a young man I am guessing was about 8-10 years old and while browsing overheard her say that he had just got out of the hospital due to a bout of pneumonia. I about lost my mind it took everything in me to keep quiet. While I agree that vaping is better than smoking I just can't fathom exposing children's lungs to it at all esepically in those circumstances.

ReigntheGamer

ECF Veteran
    Oct 14, 2014
    Ahh gotta love daschunds! :)
    Mine are not sensitive to vape.

I do they are cool little dogs but if I let Marley my rescue Staffordshire Terrier on the other side of the fence they make think twice about nipping at her. Even with her calm demeanor she displays with her little brother (minature pinscher) brother I am pretty sure they wouldn't try to bite her nose anymore. :D

Necrotic

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2014
    Lawrenceville, GA
    ReigntheGamer:15477314 said:

One of the last times I was in a B&M a mother brought in a young man I am guessing was about 8-10 years old and while browsing overheard her say that he had just got out of the hospital due to a bout of pneumonia. I about lost my mind it took everything in me to keep quiet. While I agree that vaping is better than smoking I just can't fathom exposing children's lungs to it at all esepically in those circumstances.

I've only once seen a child in a vape shop once. Didn't bother me but the girl was maybe 5 or 6. The place was relatively empty and everybody was courteous about Vaping around her. The father needed some help with something and it was close to closing time so I guess he had to bring her. I understand if you're in dire need of assistance and just can't get a babysitter but to bring kids in just because you want to relax at a vape bar is unacceptable.

ReigntheGamer

ECF Veteran
    Oct 14, 2014
    I've only once seen a child in a vape shop once. Didn't bother me but the girl was maybe 5 or 6. The place was relatively empty and everybody was courteous about Vaping around her. The father needed some help with something and it was close to closing time so I guess he had to bring her. I understand if you're in dire need of assistance and just can't get a babysitter but to bring kids in just because you want to relax at a vape bar is unacceptable.

It's definitely situational I can agree with that.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    Damn do you live in my neighborhood? :lol: It sounds like we have the same people living next to us, all that's missing is the neighbor with the aggressive daschunds that try to bite my dogs under the gap in the fence. :D

ROFL... gotta watch for those dachsunds, they're ankle biters. We had one when I was growing up, and the neighbor's Great Dane was TERRIFIED of that little yapping thing. :D

Andria

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread