Chinese responsibilty in manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an article from Men get death penalty over tainted milk - Yahoo!7 News
I will copy the article here to save the click thru and in case it disappears.

The Chinese cop a lot of bashing over their quality and safety issues, This may give you some idea of how serious tainting of foodstuffs and chemical substitution is taken there.
I also have confirmation of some testing carried out by a biotech firm in the UK that in fact confirms that originally there were anomalies found by GC-MS testing of e-cig liquids in the first samples submitted for testing

"impure grades of glycols or ethers are used, aroma extracts can sometime bring in unwanted alcohols "

This has been relayed back to the manufacturers and acted upon... understandably these are commisioned reports and the actual results of the tests were not made available to me for obvious reasons , However this confirms to me that testing IS done outside of China and is taken seriously
Now to the article lol

"
Men get death penalty over tainted milk

January 22, 2009, 6:58 pm
A Chinese court has sentenced two men to death for making and selling some of the tainted milk that killed six babies and sickened nearly 300,000 others, state media says.
Another man was given a suspended death sentence, while at least four others were given jail terms ranking from five years to life, Xinhua news agency said.
State media had reported earlier that verdicts would be given on Thursday for all 21 people who went on trial for their involvement in the scandal that last year killed at least six babies and left 294,000 others ill.
Immediately after the verdicts were announced, the Chinese government sought to show it was making great efforts to improve not only its milk industry, but all its food products, following numerous safety scandals in recent years.
"The Chinese government authorities have been paying great attention to food safety and product quality," foreign ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu told reporters.
"After the case broke out, the Chinese government strengthened rules and regulations and took a lot of other measures to strengthen regulations and monitor food safety."
The former boss of the dairy firm at the heart of the scandal, Tian Wenchuan, and three of her colleagues were among those charged and awaiting verdicts.
Lawyers had previously said Tian, former head of the Sanlu Group, faced only a maximum penalty of life in prison, and not execution.
Sanlu was the first and biggest dairy producer found to have sold dairy products laced with melamine, a chemical used to make plastics which was mixed into watered-down milk to give the appearance of higher protein levels.
In all, 22 firms were found to have sold tainted milk, and the scandal led to contaminated Chinese dairy products being pulled off shelves around the world.
It was another major blow to the "Made-in-China" reputation that has suffered in recent years amid safety scandals over a wide range of exports, from toys to pet food and dumplings.
The government last month ordered the Chinese dairy firms to pay $US160 million ($A241 million) in compensation to the families of babies that died or fell ill.
However the families and their lawyers have repeatedly criticised the sum as woefully inadequate, with some parents of sick children not being given any money at all and others receiving just $US300 ($A452).
Over 200 families last week filed a suit with the Supreme Court, seeking more compensation.
The 213 families went to the top of the legal system because the government-ordered payment scheme failed to recognise some of them as victims, said Chang Lin, a farmer whose 18-month-old son died in August.
"They haven't given me any compensation. They haven't even recognised that my child died because of melamine," Lin told AFP.
He said the government had not even recognised his son had died from drinking tainted milk. "

end quote

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Greed trumps fear of punishment.

And as the economy worsens, as profits fall, as workers lose jobs, the desire to cut corners will only increase. The threat of substance substitution grows, not lessens, even with a death sentence setting an "example" for Chinese businessmen and regulators.

I will feel safe with what I'm doing only when disinterested regulators pass on it. There are standards for almost everything else, from electrical products to food to toys to tobacco products. There has to be standards for liquids we intend to suck into our lungs. The present situation in the U.S. and U.K. borders on regulatory irresponsibility.

And Australia shows where it will lead us all.

I somehow knew you would be first to brave this topic Bob , my respect for you keeps growing !!!... I think one of the important things to note from my post was the independent western testing on liquids, and the modification of ingredients that have taken place already as a result ... I realise in journalism my not revealing sources and quotes do not really add weight to an argument under scrutiny, but I must admit I was actually impressed that a researcher gave me his opinions and a summation of his findings, albeit not for public dissemination. It was from a nationally accredited laboratory but begs the question why those commissioning the tests have not made them publicly available, perhaps in the litigious world they are keeping them up their sleeves as an ace in the hole for a challenge if it comes?

I could not agree more however with your greed trumping fear of punishment tho , but hopefully those manufacturing will continue their undercover testing as further insurance for what must surely come???

Again I fully agree that countries must make their own assessments as well to provide the public health interest ... interesting times
hopefully the actions of the Aussie Govt will not set the path for others to follow by avoiding legislative amendment on this issue... but I fear this is more likely than not...

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
For some reason some people are prepared to take big risks with contaminated and tainted ingredients. I don't think capital punishment is a deterrent, people just live in denial that they will get caught.

China is a developing nation, hopefully ethics and regulation will emerge faster than new threats, their products are distributed worldwide and have the potential to cause massive harm.

Any unregulated business, no matter where it's based, is a potential problem. Compare the green eliquid from the States. No product recall, no credible explanation and continuing sales even though the sellers obviously don't know the cause of contamination or implications of exposure.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Compare the green eliquid from the States. No product recall, no credible explanation and continuing sales even though the sellers obviously don't know the cause of contamination or implications of exposure.

This particular case bothers me. If nothing has been said or done about it - that is completely unnacceptable and Johnson Creek should not continue to sell their products. I don't care to hear "well, it's possible that it was frozen" as a customer I would demand a real answer. Luckily, I've never used JC products because of the previous issue, reports of clogging. It can happen anywhere, not just China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread