Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Between the sand, coal dust and track ballast it can be hard to make things grow, other than weeds, at times. Add in the previous residents seemed to like bottled beer and dropping/breaking the bottle when empty and it gets pretty frustrating.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Voltizens.

At least the sun is out this morning although it's a little on the cool side for this time of year. I've got to go do some, you'll pardon the expression, work for a friend this morning and I'm hoping it doesn't rain this afternoon so I can harvest more of the weed crop. It's getting close to "knee high" in spots in the back yard so it's got to get done and get done soon, rain or not. I ordered a 10 watt, 12 volt, LED floodlight for laughs and may install it on the lawn tractor. The headlights on that are a joke and with the LED light I might be able to mow after dark to get things done.

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Your nearest hydrogen bomb.
Hubby worked on our garden plot and has over half of it is done. We need to plant next week.

Tritium, I saw you in England. What is up with that? You are so adorable and some great photos on Facebook.
You saw correctly, i moved my ... to UK and have a job as a telecom bench & field engineer.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Voltizens.

Congrats on the move and the new job, Tritium. Unfortunately, FB is not on my list of sites to use.

I've been working on the garden, too. I got the tomatoes, peppers and squash planted last evening after raking everything flat and smooth. This morning I'll plant the cucumbers and pole beans and set up the drip system for all the plantings. Leo's surgery seems to have healed up fine so I'm no too worried about leaving him in the house while I'm outside. I just wish it was warmer, temps in the 40's again this AM. After that, I plan on harvesting the rest of the weed crop.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'afternoon, Voltaticalytes.

The garden is all planted although I do need to add some chicken wire around the bottom of the horse fence to keep the rabbits out and add mulch to prevent weeds and a second tier of three foot horse fence for the pole beans to climb, but the tomatoes, peppers, green beans, cucumbers, squash and cantaloupe are all in. I cheated with the tomatoes, peppers and squash and bought plants from a local garden supply. The beans, cucumbers and cantaloupe are seeds so there'll be a delay before we see anything. Some of the tomatoes and peppers already have buds showing.

Leo had another first today. I had to go to the post orifice and drop off some person (mail) and took him with me for the ride. From there we went to Tractor Supply to get the chicken wire. He was a gentlemen the whole time and made friends with another customer. The cashier gave him a treat which he took gently, too. We've been using a ramp for him to get in and out of the car with, but I backed into a parking space against a curb. He actually climbed out rather than jumped out and climbed back in as well. He's still on restricted exercise from his surgery so it worked out really well and he seemed to enjoy the whole experience. If I tell him "heel" when we're walking he stays right on my left side and sits, automatically, when I stop. That made the whole thing easy to do.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moaning, Voltizens.

You seem late with the garden this year, Lizzie. I did worry about frost Monday and Tuesday nights and it may get down into the upper 30's again over the weekend but, knock on wood, so far the weather is holding. I remember as a kid planting tomatoes at the beginning to middle of April on my Grandparents farm so we'd be the first to market. Then, everyone holding their breath hoping there was no frost of a hard freeze.

I was hoping for a nice, sunny, day today by the clouds have won out, for now anyway. I've got too much yard work not to go out there and get crackin'. The laundry is done, dinner is defrosting for prep work later and I'm just finishing my second cup before girding my loins to go out there.

We have worked pretty hard at the heel command with Leo. Every time I walk him the walk ends with a lesson on heel and now we're working with the down command as well. That's a definite dominance command and he has been resistant to it at times. I just came back from a walk with him and we did the down command. By the end of the lesson he was laying down as I brought my had up and before I even said down so there's progress going on there as well. The goal is to get him to stop and lay down simply by raising your right hand over your head, palm out.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'afternoon, Volties.

Esoterica, as a starting point I'd say stick to temperature controlled mods. There are a lot of them available and they are in the same price range as traditional VV/VW mods. I'm a big fan of Evolv chipsets and they seem to perform well and are accurate. I use RTAs and build my own coils since I'm cheap! Plus it lets me control the quality and select what wire type and gauge I want to use. Even tanks that take pre-built coils have come a long, long, way since the CE4 days and there are a lot of decent ones out there. I will say that it isn't necessary to go to super low ohms, under .1, to have a good experience and there seems to be some evidence showing up, recently, that a larger coil, higher ohms, can be safer in terms of not producing nasty stuff since they can be run at lower temperatures.

Reactions: Esoterica3

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'afternoon, Voltatialytes.

Leo got his first "real" walk today. We took him over to Smithville Park and did about a mile. He met some new doggies and some new people and behaved very well the entire time. This was the biggest walk he's ever been on, remember, he's still a puppy albeit a BIG puppy. When we got home he had a drink of water then laid down in the living room and promptly fell asleep. Here's a video but you will probably need headphones, unless you've got external audio, to hear the snoring -

[/url]

Sorry, clicking the image will lead you to Flickr and the video is actually there.

Esoterica3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Sedona, AZ
www.leslivresthebooks.com
'afternoon, Volties.

Esoterica, as a starting point I'd say stick to temperature controlled mods. There are a lot of them available and they are in the same price range as traditional VV/VW mods. I'm a big fan of Evolv chipsets and they seem to perform well and are accurate. I use RTAs and build my own coils since I'm cheap! Plus it lets me control the quality and select what wire type and gauge I want to use. Even tanks that take pre-built coils have come a long, long, way since the CE4 days and there are a lot of decent ones out there. I will say that it isn't necessary to go to super low ohms, under .1, to have a good experience and there seems to be some evidence showing up, recently, that a larger coil, higher ohms, can be safer in terms of not producing nasty stuff since they can be run at lower temperatures.

Sorry, Esoterica. No help here. I've been using Provaris with tanks and cartos for a number of years. I have 4 Provaris in boxes because they were selling for $30 each! I need to buy some more tanks before the new FDA regs come out.

Can you guys point me in the right direction (sell sites) for some of these? Think I do want to try a mod. Closest I've come is the VV batt from here LOL...and truthfully, in many ways I still prefer the pen types. But Also want to learn more and get some rebuildables. I'm hoping that the FDA thing gets reversed to at least 2017 or 2016 but you never know, so want to be a bit more ready.

There's just so much more out there now...and so many more shops

Reactions: Renolizzie

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

Well, summer has arrived in a big way here. The temps have been in the upper 80's to low 90's since Tuesday and even Monday made it into the 80's. At least the humidity is fairly low, for around here at least, so it isn't too bad outside.

My chipper/shredder crapped out on me yesterday. I shut it down to empty the bin I use to collect the shredded materials and noticed the muffler/heat shield, which sits on the, ostensibly, front of the motor was cockeyed. When I touched it, it promptly fell off onto the ground. Looking at it, an exhaust pipe gets welded to a flange that bolts to the cylinder head. Apparently the weld job was kind of poor to say the least. I'd guesstimate that only about a third, at best, of the circumference was actually welded and that was the area with the least stress. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton so I'm a little surprised this happened.

I opened a ticket with DR last night and got an email this morning telling me my order was shipped. What order? The order lists all the parts, down to screws and brackets, needed to put it back into service again. Now, I just have to wait for UPS or USPS to get here with it. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the full yard cleanup and have a bunch of branches to trim as well as a pile already on the ground waiting to be chipped. I'll get the raking done ahead so when the parts get here I can just shred an chip away.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I opened a ticket with DR last night and got an email this morning telling me my order was shipped. What order? The order lists all the parts, down to screws and brackets, needed to put it back into service again.
Now that is good CS!!

Last time I contacted CS anywhere, I had ordered two of an item, which was backordered item and hadn't come in. CS peremptorily canceled one of the item because there was only one left on the shelves and it was discontinued. The order then went to packaging, and when they got the message that I would be happy with one of another color, they told me that it was too late, and they could put it on a gift certificate or I could order the one of another color separately. S&H for the one item was equivalent to the cost of the item. Needless to say, I have a gift certificate waiting. Guess what company that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread