Status
Not open for further replies.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
You are so full of contradictions, Lis.

Good morning peeps. I just emailed a person with livestock guardian dogs. They are St Bernard and Great Pyranees crosses. They will be well over 100 pounds when they grow up. Might be almost too big:)

Does this mean you are thinking of getting one? Is there something threatening your animals? I guess if there's some large animal threatening the livestock, it's better to have a large dog than a smaller one. One thing I don't like about those dogs, though, is the drool. Why do they drool so much? Is it how their jaw is constructed?

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Uh oh - now I found two - 2 year old - Catahoula Leapard dogs. Hubby would love them and they need to be rehomed due to the owner passing away. They also have a goat. Need to call later today to find out more.

One thing to consider is what I read about their temperament here: Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog Information and Pictures The picture looks like an Australian shepherd with shorter hair. I knew an Australian shepherd well, and she was of that temperament. You had to watch that she didn't bite visitors. She was a wonderful, affectionate dog with the family and friends, and she lived with a fairly large group of dogs and was the pack leader.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
The pictures how two dogs that are living with lots of other critters so I would just have to meet them and see how I feel about the dogs. I have no problem being the pack leader but I also have Hubby to think about.

If the Australian shepherd is anything to go by, she accepted other members of the family; it was just strangers she attacked. You might want this, since you are worried about people trespassing, but you'd have to be careful with guests, especially if there were children. Package delivery could be a problem, too. Delivery men are fair game to these dogs.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
If the Australian shepherd is anything to go by, she accepted other members of the family; it was just strangers she attacked. You might want this, since you are worried about people trespassing, but you'd have to be careful with guests, especially if there were children. Package delivery could be a problem, too. Delivery men are fair game to these dogs.

Our Aussie sheperd, Rusty, is very sweet but we still have problems with package deliveries:) People think Rusty is very scary looking. They won't come in the gate. I don't mind. The delivery people probably wouldn't come in the gate anyway. They are trained to throw and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread