Chuck and 801 Atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

grabeard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Just outside my comfort zone.
I regularly use 510 atty w/ my Chuck...I read that a lot of people use an 801 atty.
So, I ordered an 801-It's Terrible!! No Taste! No Throat Hit At All!
Am I doing something wrong? Does it depend on where you get your atty's?
Would love some feedback. :confused:
You may need to drop a few drops directly onto the wick to get it started, then just top off the cart every so often when the vapor starts to decrease. The cart will hold a little over 1cc.

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
I have tried an 801 atty, but I just tailpiped with direct drip. The 510 cartos work better. The 801 was my second ecig and I didn't like them at all. I just threw them in the 'backup if ecig supplies ever get banned' box. Hoping I'll never have to use them.

Zip through the first couple pages here and you can read about the latest chuck vaping methods.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I started off with the 801 stock kit and loved it. Found out later that it was a RN4072 (low bridge) when I bought some replacement atomizers. What a huge difference low bridge attys make! Now I only buy 302 (Boge or Joye), BE112 or RN4072 low bridge. Currently using Bauway's 801 (low bridge) and it is a terrific atomizer.

They are all I use on my Chuck.

Also, the polyfill is awful on a penstyle atty. I've used AquaClear for quite a while and will never go back to other cart fillings. Makes all the difference with penstyles (and other atty models) if you learn to cut it to the right size.

Lilibet

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Virginia
Also, the polyfill is awful on a penstyle atty. I've used AquaClear for quite a while and will never go back to other cart fillings. Makes all the difference with penstyles (and other atty models) if you learn to cut it to the right size.
Thank you! I was using polyfill with my 801s and after I read your post, I tried some AquaClear. I like it much more and so does my sister who tried it too.

Lilibet

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Virginia
I have a small sample of fluval that I got from Dawn at DIY FlavorShack. That's what my sister and I used and like. But then I decided to buy some more and I got the wrong stuff. I wound up with the AquaClear filter insert foam which is a thick, blocky, sponge-like piece. So I've got to look for the right stuff now which I believe are the polishing pads.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Are you using a large chuck?
What batteries?
What voltage?
You cannot use an 801 @ 3.4 ohms with a 3.7 volt battery...you need a differential of at least +2 volts between the atomizer ohms and voltage.
I vape at +3 volts.

So if my atomizer is 3.4 ohms i would vape at 6.4 volts.

If you have a large chuck, I can reccomend you use 2 x 3 volt batteries

quakereject

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Arizona
Are you using a large chuck?
What batteries?
What voltage?
You cannot use an 801 @ 3.4 ohms with a 3.7 volt battery...you need a differential of at least +2 volts between the atomizer ohms and voltage.
I vape at +3 volts.

So if my atomizer is 3.4 ohms i would vape at 6.4 volts.

If you have a large chuck, I can reccomend you use 2 x 3 volt batteries

They most certainly can use that combination. It will just feel like a dead stock 510 battery is all. :)

Wattage is what you want to worry about anyways.

They're getting around 4.02W off that combination, as far as what 510 atomizers, it would depend on Ω resistance to reproduce the same effect.

As far as the 801's you're using, assuming they are 3.4Ω resistance then yes, you're going to get little to no production out of it. Might work for some, but if you want the billowing clouds of wondrous vapor.. you should consider a different route.

Now, having said that. I don't know enough about 801's to truly be of help there, but in the 510 department, I'm better. As far as production, th, taste, and such, the ideal wattage you would want at 3.7 would be around 6-8W, anything more and you'd be stressing the battery and get reduced life unless you got an IMR from AW. (which is also an option!)

Assuming you have a Chuck, you could try 2 3.0v LiFePo4 batteries from AW, they do not come with protection circuits because they are a safer chemistry that will not vent flames (i.e. explodey!) I personally use them and get nothing but goodness from them, since there's not a single Chuck configuration that I can use as intended and overwork these batteries causing damage.

Assuming you have a Little Chuck, you're stuck at 3.7 and would have to find a lower Ω atomizer. Anything in the 1.5** to 2.3 ohm range (resulting in 6W for the 2.3 ohm, and 9W for the 1.5 ohm, the higher the watts, the higher the heat.) will give you the desired effect.*

Having said that, the first question is if the specific 801 atomizers you're using are too high of a resistance to use efficiently at 3.7v of power. If so, then refer above to solutions depending on your Chuck or Lil' Chuck preference.

(*Some sites do not give you the resistance of your atomizers, if you were interested in finding this out on your own, you would need a multimeter or ohmeter.)

(** using 1.5 ohm resistance atomizers really should be used with the proper battery to ensure no damage is done, IMR batteries are best for this application)

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
no watts

VOLTS, OHMS AND AMPS.

A 1.5 ohm atty will work perfectly with a 3.7 volt battery...there's a differential of 2.2.

Since 3.7 volts batteries effectively charge to 4~4.2 volts , there is a differential of 2.7 between ohms and volts...which is perfect.

A 3.4~3.6 ohm 801, will not work very well with a 4 volt battery because the differential between ohms 3.5 and volts 4 is too small ...0.5

The industry knows we vape at 3.7 or 3.7 x 2 ...that's why they created low voltage atty's and high voltage atty's.

Last year , all atty's (510 and 801) were all 3.4 ohms.

Now we have low ohms atty's and HV atty's just to increase that differential between voltage and ohms.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
In fact , let me elaborate.

A differential of 2 between Ohms and volts is a soft vape ...weak vape.
A differential of 2.5 between ohms and volts is stronger.
A differential of 2.7 between ohms abd volts is the sweet spot for most people.
A diff of 3+ between both is a harsh vape.

You know a vape is perfect when the vapor you blow out is really thick and cold..
I mean really cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread