Cig-a-like style passthroughs and NiMH battery questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
After vaping several months with two Blu starter packs (one was a gift, the other I bought) as my only equipment, I decided to get better gear. Got 4 USB batteryless cigalike style manual non-vv passthroughs, several BCCs, an RDA, and some sundries. Plan to get some AAA and AA battery holders for NiMH batteries to use with the passthroughs when I'm away from the wall.
Reason I got 4 passthroughs is that I don't expect the little .......s to last long. Vendor only guarantees them 7 days. Some reviews say they quickly go kaput because the cord works loose or the switch fails.
Vendor says the passthroughs were made by Kanger, but I can find no info about the battery-less passthroughs on Kanger's site, nor anywhere else. Emailed Kanger to ask what features these passthroughs have but haven't heard back from them yet. No info regarding features on vendor site.
Got 2 black ones and two silver. Black ones have a blue LED at the end which blinks 5 times when I plug into a 5 volt 2 amp USB adapter, and lights when I press the manual switch to take a drag. Silver ones have no LED, but do have a somewhat reassuring strain-relief attachment to the cord where it exits the end.
Anybody here familiar with these specific passthroughs or similar ones?
What features do they have?
How long should I expect them to last?
Any tips on how to make them last a long time? I plan to glue the cord on the black ones at the end where it exits the tube to hopefully prevent strain and wear. Might try some heat shrink tubing.
Plan to get some 510-to-510 and 510-to-Ego adapters to hopefully prevent threads and center post from wearing out.
The tiny switch surely isn't rated for the 2 or 3 amps. Is it connected to some kind of board that limits the amps going through it? The device is so small, only the size of a 510 cigalike battery, that I can't imagine there being room for much electronics inside it.
Very pleased with the devices so far. You can imagine the improvement they are compared with the Blu cigalikes. I would be very disappointed if they don't last a reasonable amount of time before going kaput. Any advice and info would be appreciated.

Regarding NiMH batteries:
I'm thinking about getting a fast 15-minute charger. I know this will reduce the number of charge cycles and shorten the useful life of the batteries. I plan to get a slow charger too, but later on, not now. Money is tight. Will batteries will still get a life of at least several hundred cycles with fast charging? Reason for wanting fast charger is that it would be more convenient and maybe somewhat safer. I can easily monitor batteries while charging for 15 minutes, whereas if it took hours, I would likely leave them unattended. I know that charging NiMH batteries is less dangerous than charging Li-ions.
Am considering the non Low-Self-Discharge type batteries because they have a larger mAh capacity. I don't expect I would need the Low-Self-Discharge feature as much as I would need the increased capacity. Does that seem reasonable?

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've never seen a non-vv mini passthru yet; the ones I have are the vv ones with 4 voltage settings.

I would really like to get a VW mini passthru, and especially one with a SEALED interface.

By the way does one of your manual passthru actually allow you to fire it constantly or do they all cutoff after 10 seconds?

Anyway, what I was getting at is concerning the
Any tips on how to make them last a long time?

My biggest concern has been so far making sure liquid doesn't get down in that 510 threadwell (not only on the passthru but on my mods also). If you can get the SEALED version of the 510-510/eGo adapter, that should help a lot.

If you can get a cone base from an eGo-C type tank system, yu can also figure out to seal it up yourself maybe with some silicone on the underside, and screw it on to the top of the 510/eGo connector of the passthru - actually does yur passthru have 510/eGo or is it 510 only?
The vv mini passthroughs that I have are 510/eGo.

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
"By the way does one of your manual passthru actually allow you to fire it constantly or do they all cutoff after 10 seconds?"
Just now checked, and yes, they cut off after 10 seconds. I didn't know that before.

"My biggest concern has been so far making sure liquid doesn't get down in that 510 threadwell (not only on the passthru but on my mods also). If you can get the SEALED version of the 510-510/eGo adapter, that should help a lot."
The 510 connectors on my cigalike passthroughs are sealed. No hole in the positive center pin. But even so, the center pin sits in a grommett and it's possible juice might could leak passed the grommet into the body of the passthrough.
I was considering a 510-to-510 or 510-to-ego adapter to protect the threads, but I found something that might be better. Called a Tank Airflow Controller, made by Smoktech.
Photo of it here shows the top ring removed to show a recessed area that will function as a drip-well to catch drips.
Tank Airflow Controller for 510-Threaded APVs
Reviews at Madvapes mentions it's use as thread protector and drip guard. And mentions how to adjust the center pin.
Tank Airflow Controller
Seems like it would be a handy, multi-purpose gizmo. I ordered two today from here:
Ecig Tank Airflow Controller
Same place I got my cigalike passthroughs from:
Electronic Cigarette Supplies & Electronic Cigarette Refills for Name-Brand Electronic Cigarettes! E-Cigs from LiteCigUSA
I also ordered two of the vv passthroughs today like the ones you have:
Variable Voltage EgO/510 USB Passthrough

"actually does yur passthru have 510/eGo or is it 510 only?"
The cigalike passthroughs I have now are only 510. Looks like the tank airflow controller has ego threads when the top ring is removed.

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
Received VV passthroughs and tank airflow controllers. 510/ego connectors on the passthroughs are sealed. No hole in center pin. Pins on TACs also sealed. Didn't actually need airflow control. Currently, my tanks draw OK. No leaks from tanks either, but the TAC with top ring removed looks like it would catch drips in the well if there were leaks. Seems like a piece of wick fitted into the well would absorb drips and prevent them from escaping when the device is tilted in use. If I notice a leak, I'll try that. Should have gotten more than two TACs.
Decided my first and primary charger will be a slow one.
Blu batteries almost kaput, but I'll hang on to them. Gutted, they might be useful in future mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread