Cig-Like Device for 100% VG Juice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT82

Mar 20, 2018
Hi all! I'm new here, but not new to vaping. I've recently found out that I'm allergic to PG (causes me itchy allergic eczema from head to toe), so I have to start vaping only 100% VG juices. I don't want to buy a big bulky device and I want something more "cigarette-like" since I'm trying to stop smoking. I was looking at the Kanger SubVod. Would this work well with 100% VG juices? If not, can you guys recommend something with a similar look and size that can? Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't own the mod or the tank, but one downside for that battery device is that it has "fixed" power output. Most regulated mods allow you to adjust the power output (variable wattage) to suit your needs. For example, in the mornings I like to vape around 30 watts, but in the evenings I sometimes want a more powerful vape so I adjust it to 40 watts. You can't do that with the Kanger SubVod. It's rather limited in that respect.

The problem with high Vg juices is it is much thicker in consistancy; almost like vegetable oil. Pg is almost like water in consistancy. Some tanks (coils) have a very difficult time wicking juice fast enough to prevent a dry hit because the juice is too thick.. So a better question might be to ask which tanks can handle thick juices. You can generally match any tank with any battery device; however if you choose a "sub-ohm tank" you must choose a battery device that can put out enough power (about 75 watts) that can fire a sub-ohm coil.

I've been using the original Uwell Crown tank. The juice that I'm currently using is 100% Vg. I don't have any issues with dry hits. Technically, its a sub-ohm tank, but there are 1.2 ohm coils available for it.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In my time reading this sit it seems to me that big bulky devices actually help people stop smoking much better than cigalikes or pods. Be that as it may the best cigalike I know of that will run off whatever juice you put in it is the ovale imini, and while perhaps not the best pod, the least ripoffy (yes not actually a word) pod system that does it is the warlock peas. My knowledge is by no means complete though

Last edited:
hOWDY I also use only 100% VG and whatever tank I tried I never had a problem...except when they fall OVER on their side and they leak..my fault the falling on its side.

In the old days of 24mg juice using the Evod's no problem with VG. Past years I have used sub ohm Mello2 tanks and my new favorite for flavor the ELLO with HW2 coils. No problems. with leaks, dry hits, no spitback unless I filled wrong -nada problems.

Ha...maybe I just know how to ejuice smoke them with VG. I do hear of quite a few people having trouble but I never had one.

What Baditude said (trying to do my first Quote)
[QUOTE one downside for that battery device is that it has "fixed" power output[/QUOTE]

He said said the one you are picking one downside for that battery device is that it has "fixed" power output.
I all the time bump up my power (watts) for keeping a warm vape. `
So alas no I would not pick that tank for that reason.
Hope that helps

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I had a Kangar Subvod once upon a time. 100% VG will probably be fine. It's thicker. You might want to thin it a smidge but I wouldn't get too carried away. Not sure how easy it will be to find a cig-a-like that's made especially for 100% VG.
I’ve vaped 100% VG in an iMini. It will do it because the thing is basically an ultra miniature iCab. Even uses the same microcoil cartridges

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have used pretty close to max VG (outside of flavoring) when I first started vaping, as I am sensitive to PG in all but the most minute quantities. You can use high VG juices in MTL setups, it's just really important to prime things well and before I added DW I pretty much got into the habit of inhaling a few seconds after the fire button, to keep things wicking nicely. The main thing is to not overheat your tank, so maybe airflow a bit wide open, and I did have somewhat shortened coil life due to gunking factors.

My vape improved when I added 10% Distilled water to the vape, and I did it reluctantly and mainly to lower the temps in my tank, as VG has such a low boiling point. I was surprised at how much it improved my vaping experience... I mean, I was expecting lower temps but wasn't expecting flavors to improve, or increased coil life, which both happened (possibly also due to the fact that my tanks didn't get as hot). I would suggest trying some DW at different percentages (but not more than 10% to see if you prefer things with some DW added.

You also have the option to try out PEG400 in your vape, although you'd probably need to be doing DIY to try it. It's a PG variant that isn't used as much in vaping as PG became the "standard safe alternative," although from my research it appears PEG400 is perfectly safe to vape with. I tested some to make sure I wasn't sensitive to it and just mixed up 1100 mls of it. It's steeping before I try it, so I won't be tasting for a few more days, to leave some steeping room. From what I saw the main issue with it is that one can become sensitive to it, similar to PG, but if you can tolerate it it's a viable alternative, and some folks think it carries flavor better than PG.

But, I'd say do what you are comfortable with for now and I was certainly able to vape MTL tanks (including the N2 and others) at max VG and still make it work. It requires some different techniques, but I would encourage you to at least experiment a bit with adding distilled water you will likely overall benefit from doing that.

Best of luck

Anna

Upinsmoke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2017
Suffolk UK
I have used pretty close to max VG (outside of flavoring) when I first started vaping, as I am sensitive to PG in all but the most minute quantities. You can use high VG juices in MTL setups, it's just really important to prime things well and before I added DW I pretty much got into the habit of inhaling a few seconds after the fire button, to keep things wicking nicely. The main thing is to not overheat your tank, so maybe airflow a bit wide open, and I did have somewhat shortened coil life due to gunking factors.

My vape improved when I added 10% Distilled water to the vape, and I did it reluctantly and mainly to lower the temps in my tank, as VG has such a low boiling point. I was surprised at how much it improved my vaping experience... I mean, I was expecting lower temps but wasn't expecting flavors to improve, or increased coil life, which both happened (possibly also due to the fact that my tanks didn't get as hot). I would suggest trying some DW at different percentages (but not more than 10% to see if you prefer things with some DW added.

You also have the option to try out PEG400 in your vape, although you'd probably need to be doing DIY to try it. It's a PG variant that isn't used as much in vaping as PG became the "standard safe alternative," although from my research it appears PEG400 is perfectly safe to vape with. I tested some to make sure I wasn't sensitive to it and just mixed up 1100 mls of it. It's steeping before I try it, so I won't be tasting for a few more days, to leave some steeping room. From what I saw the main issue with it is that one can become sensitive to it, similar to PG, but if you can tolerate it it's a viable alternative, and some folks think it carries flavor better than PG.

But, I'd say do what you are comfortable with for now and I was certainly able to vape MTL tanks (including the N2 and others) at max VG and still make it work. It requires some different techniques, but I would encourage you to at least experiment a bit with adding distilled water you will likely overall benefit from doing that.

Best of luck

Anna
I use some of these little devices when I'm out and about.
Good air flow is important.
My Vaporesso Solo works fine.
I add a little alcohol to my juice in very cold weather.
Never tried water.
Looking forward to your critique of PEG400.
I'm ok up to about 30% PG though I don't add any to my diy net's.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all! I'm new here, but not new to vaping. I've recently found out that I'm allergic to PG (causes me itchy allergic eczema from head to toe), so I have to start vaping only 100% VG juices. I don't want to buy a big bulky device and I want something more "cigarette-like" since I'm trying to stop smoking. I was looking at the Kanger SubVod. Would this work well with 100% VG juices? If not, can you guys recommend something with a similar look and size that can? Thanks!
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to try a 80/20 VG/PG blend which is about as high as I can tolerate. If you ever go into DIY, the 80/20 would give you pretty much max VG allowable, while still being able to use a minimum amount of PG to cut the flavors (PG is far more common carrier agent used than alcohol or VG, it is said to carry flavors better).E-liquid made with Nic salts is said to be smoother on the throat too.
Might like to read:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...re-and-lower-resistance.706656/#post-16692106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread