Cigarette free after 60 years at a pack a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texreid

Mar 24, 2019
Hello and welcome to ECF. Congratulations on switching to vaping. I have to echo what others have said about getting a second device. When I first started out it was recommended that I purchase a back-up system. I now have back-ups for my back-ups.
If you get a chance, I would like to ask you to stop by at another thread on ECF.
Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 5
We keep the Front Porch for e-cig conversations.
Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven
And the Back Porch is for normal chit-chat.
Thanks for your info. My Zenith/Kroma A is on the overnight courier so should be in my hand tomorrow morning. Can't wait. Will check out the threads above. Thanks

• Winner
Reactions: Zazie

Texreid

Mar 24, 2019
@Texreid best of luck with the new mod and tank! I'd be happy to try and help if you have any questions about the Zenith.

Thanks , I am very happy with the Zenith/Kroma A. It took me a while to get it right but now it's perfect. I was looking at some info and they seem to think the 0.5 coil is good for MTL so think I'll try it. I also wanted to know if the coils can be cleaned and used again or do I need a new one every time.

Thanks for your help

Reactions: AngeNZ

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I was looking at some info and they seem to think the 0.5 coil is good for MTL so think I'll try it.

No, for low wattage, MTL vaping, please use the higher resistance coils--1.6 and 0.8Ω. The .5Ω coils are for restricted lung, high(er) wattage vaping and are also somewhat problematic.
I also wanted to know if the coils can be cleaned and used again or do I need a new one every time.

The coils last for quite a long time--depending on your usage, of course, and on the type of eliquid you're using--dark, sweet, heavily flavored juices will leave nasty deposit on your coils in a short time, while clean and unflavored juices are very gentle on coils. You can rinse then a few times under running water but they are disposable, As soon as you feel that the coil is struggling to produce good flavor and vapor, you'll need to grab a new one.

Texreid

Mar 24, 2019
No, for low wattage, MTL vaping, please use the higher resistance coils--1.6 and 0.8Ω. The .5Ω coils are for restricted lung, high(er) wattage vaping and are also somewhat problematic.

The coils last for quite a long time--depending on your usage, of course, and on the type of eliquid you're using--dark, sweet, heavily flavored juices will leave nasty deposit on your coils in a short time, while clean and unflavored juices are very gentle on coils. You can rinse then a few times under running water but they are disposable, As soon as you feel that the coil is struggling to produce good flavor and vapor, you'll need to grab a new one.

Thanks for your help, that's good to know.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I'm stingy when it comes to coils, for some reason, so I always clean and reuse them. I just let them soak overnight in grain alcohol.

I don't find that the 1.6 coils take terribly long to break in, but I prefer the .8 coil because it allows me to vape at slightly higher wattages, which some of my juices prefer. The .5 coil works okay but seems to burn out faster than the other two, so it's my least favorite.

P.S. I'm glad you're happy with the Kroma-A!

Reactions: Katya

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I just let them air-dry. Alcohol dries quickly, and, besides, there's a ton of time between coil changes.

You can user high-proof vodka, but Everclear, being as close to pure alcohol as we can get, works that much better. It's pretty cheap, and I happen to have a ton of it because I make my own potables.

Reactions: TylerA

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks, @Zazie. I'll see if I can find a small bottle of 95% and give that a try.

Honestly, I tried everclear in the past many times and, in my experience, it never was able to remove the crud buildup from the coil. Only dry burning will clean the coil, and you can't dry burn drop-in coils for obvious reasons (except for CLR coils which can be disassembled and and the wick can be removed).

The only method that somewhat works for me is vaping a tankful of unflavored (PG or PG/VG blend, with or without nicotine). Fill your tank with unflavored, raise your wattage a bit and vape until the tank is empty. You don't even have to inhale if you don't like the taste--I do. I often vape unflavored. Call it a wet burn method. ;) But honestly, those coils are inexpensive and do last a while. I like fresh coils. :) YMMV, of course.

So yes, I'd rather spend my money on fresh coils rather than on everclear, but it's your choice, of course. Keep us posted and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread