• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Cinnamon Juices and Plastic Tanks/Clearos.... Something doesn't add up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
As I seem to have a penchant for screamin' hot cinnamons, I've been warned time and again about using them in plastic tanks. Concerns range from the possibility of cracking the tank, eating the tank.... and inhaling "icky stuff" from the plastic as the cinnamon juices break it down. I'm not saying I don't believe it.... I've experienced a bit that would lend credence to those concerns. (Put some juice in a plastic cartridge that tasted fine for two fills, but when the third fill was getting low, I admit to tasting a hint of plastic in the vape.) BUT...

Riddle me this....

If cinnamon should never be used in plastic tanks or clearos....

Then why is it sold in PLASTIC BOTTLES and that seems to be just fine??
No one ever seems to raise any concerns about the plastic it's bottled in.
Something seems awry....

Toronto_Mike

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2011
Toronto, Canada
A simple answer - there are 7 different types of plastics - link here

Certain eliquid's flarourant will have an effect with some types of plastics and not others. One of my adv's does not play well with the black derlin mouthpiece of a Stardust but in everything else, there is no adverse reaction.

hope this helps,

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Yes, it does help, and that makes sense. Thank you for the link!

Now if only there was a handy dandy guide to tell me what type of plastic all the components I use are made of, and what specific flavour ingredients are likely to not play nicely with them! I'm on a new quest to discover what stuff is made of now!

-------- time lapse ---------

Well that's interesting. Of the 5 vendors represented in my current pantry, only one had the code on the bottle! That one was a 4 - Low-Density Polyethylene, or LDPE. Unfortunately, that's not either of the vendors my "cinnamoniest" flavors came from. Now to try to discover what my eGo-W tanks are made of.... as well as Stardusts and iTaste cartridges!

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
A simple answer - there are 7 different types of plastics - link here

Certain eliquid's flarourant will have an effect with some types of plastics and not others. One of my adv's does not play well with the black derlin mouthpiece of a Stardust but in everything else, there is no adverse reaction.

hope this helps,

Reminds me of Breaking Bad and the acid vs. the bathtub vs. the plastic tub.

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
Also something else to think about.. you don't have a heating element inside of the bottle the juice sits in and heating it up the way we do, over and over and over.

I wonder what would happen to the storage bottle if you kept dipping in a soldering iron... anyone bored ,dislike their cinnamon, and not lazy enough to do this? :D

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON

Now if only there was a handy dandy guide to tell me what type of plastic all the components I use are made of, and what specific flavour ingredients are likely to not play nicely with them! I'm on a new quest to discover what stuff is made of now!

Well that's interesting. Of the 5 vendors represented in my current pantry, only one had the code on the bottle! That one was a 4 - Low-Density Polyethylene, or LDPE. Unfortunately, that's not either of the vendors my "cinnamoniest" flavors came from. Now to try to discover what my eGo-W tanks are made of.... as well as Stardusts and iTaste cartridges!

Quick thumbnail sketch of a few plastic types that might help.

PET, PTFE, LDPE and HDPE are all safe to store caustic juices in, but their lack of rigidity make them poor materials for tanks unless you make the walls very thick. Of these, only PET is completely transparent. PTFE and LDPE are translucent but look "frosted," and HDPE is opaque. Most plastic tanks are made of polycarbonate or acrylic. These are hard, clear plastics, but are also reactive with acids and cinnamaldehydes and will fog and crack when left in contact with juices containing any of these ingredients. PVC would make a good chemically-resistant tank, but it's also opaque, so not ideal. Really, the only good solution to making a tank that won't react with chemicals is to make it out of glass.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.

Not necessary....get an IBTanked, Valley View Vapes or Phinac pyrex tank and a couple of cartos to use with cinnamon or fruit ejuices and your problem's solved. From someone whos tried ce2-4, stardusts and vivi novas, you havent tasted a juice until you step up to a pyrex tank. The only thing thats better are RBA's and dripping.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Quick thumbnail sketch of a few plastic types that might help.

PET, PTFE, LDPE and HDPE are all safe to store caustic juices in, but their lack of rigidity make them poor materials for tanks unless you make the walls very thick. Of these, only PET is completely transparent. PTFE and LDPE are translucent but look "frosted," and HDPE is opaque. Most plastic tanks are made of polycarbonate or acrylic. These are hard, clear plastics, but are also reactive with acids and cinnamaldehydes and will fog and crack when left in contact with juices containing any of these ingredients. PVC would make a good chemically-resistant tank, but it's also opaque, so not ideal. Really, the only good solution to making a tank that won't react with chemicals is to make it out of glass.

Terrific info, thanks very much.... that will be cut, pasted and printed for my "Vaping Hot File" Just a note that PVC (despite its use in water lines) is not recommended to be in contact with food, and I think I'd tend to extend that to our juices as we inhale them.

Not necessary....get an IBTanked, Valley View Vapes or Phinac pyrex tank and a couple of cartos to use with cinnamon or fruit ejuices and your problem's solved. From someone whos tried ce2-4, stardusts and vivi novas, you havent tasted a juice until you step up to a pyrex tank. The only thing thats better are RBA's and dripping.

Ok.... I've been reading lots about these and am interested.... thinking about an Eternity RBA in the mid-range future. But I have a hangup..... I'm NOT excited about trying anything that uses cartos. I like tanks that wick juice, I LOVE dripping.... but the idea of having my juice sitting soaked up in a wad of stuffing simply grosses me out. I like to have as little between juice and me as possible, and the whole idea of a carto.... well.... let's just say the mental image it conjures for me is entirely too disgusting to put into type here. Also, I'm REALLY picky about flavors. I'm even mad at my Stardusts for how much flavor they pre-enjoy for me, and I fear the cartos would be vicious flavor-muters. I think I was born to drip, but convenience and ease of use force me to compromise on tanks for the most part. Dripping is my relaxing, evening ritual, but it's somewhat spoiled me. Now if only they would make a pyrex tank for, say, a mini nova, I'd be alllll over that!

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Ok.... I've been reading lots about these and am interested.... thinking about an Eternity RBA in the mid-range future. But I have a hangup..... I'm NOT excited about trying anything that uses cartos. I like tanks that wick juice, I LOVE dripping.... but the idea of having my juice sitting soaked up in a wad of stuffing simply grosses me out. I like to have as little between juice and me as possible, and the whole idea of a carto.... well.... let's just say the mental image it conjures for me is entirely too disgusting to put into type here. Also, I'm REALLY picky about flavors. I'm even mad at my Stardusts for how much flavor they pre-enjoy for me, and I fear the cartos would be vicious flavor-muters. I think I was born to drip, but convenience and ease of use force me to compromise on tanks for the most part. Dripping is my relaxing, evening ritual, but it's somewhat spoiled me. Now if only they would make a pyrex tank for, say, a mini nova, I'd be alllll over that!

tyger I can't resist anymore :wub: I need the help desk

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Believe it or not out of all those clearos/cartos Ive tried I get the most flavor from a carto tank...yes even a vivi nova and a stardust. I just recently bought a Nova on the recommendation of a friend whos nuts for them and the difference btween my juice in the carto tank and the nova was like difference in taste between an ultra light (for the nova) and a full flavor on the carto tank.

Im planning on getting myself a Cobra for my birthday and see what all the fuss is about.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Believe it or not out of all those clearos/cartos Ive tried I get the most flavor from a carto tank...yes even a vivi nova and a stardust. I just recently bought a Nova on the recommendation of a friend whos nuts for them and the difference btween my juice in the carto tank and the nova was like difference in taste between an ultra light (for the nova) and a full flavor on the carto tank.

Im planning on getting myself a Cobra for my birthday and see what all the fuss is about.

That is very interesting, as it strikes me as counter-intuitive. It would *seem* reasonable that the more "stuff" the juice has to come into contact with, the more flavor could be muted.... but then things are not always as they seem! Still, I have the carto stuffing hangup, and they just strike me as a dirtier option than wicks.... maybe it's just that-- a hangup.

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
That is very interesting, as it strikes me as counter-intuitive. It would *seem* reasonable that the more "stuff" the juice has to come into contact with, the more flavor could be muted.... but then things are not always as they seem! Still, I have the carto stuffing hangup, and they just strike me as a dirtier option than wicks.... maybe it's just that-- a hangup.

Could be he diggs the filler flavor... not everyone likes what the filler adds to the mix (me included)

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Could be he diggs the filler flavor... not everyone likes what the filler adds to the mix (me included)

There is no filler flavor, thats what Im trying to tell you and Im not the only one who uses this particular setup with a lot of success.Using a tank with pre-punched cartos keeps that filler material saturated for the life of the juice if you do it right and more flavor from the liquid shines through then Ive ever had with with any clearomizer.Hands down.

Its very hard to explain to someone whos probably never tried it but keeps knocking it anyway. Carto tanks are a big step up from clearomizers but in your case it might be better to just make the jump straight to RBAS that way you can tailor specifically what materials come into contact with your juice.

Im not trying to sell you on the idea, Im sharing my personal experience that happens to be supported by a lot of others on this forum.Buy a ce4, a mini Nova and a pyrex tank system then fill them all properly with your favorite juice and you'll see the difference for yourselves.

RBA's are so insanely popular right now because of their juice and taste delivery which is second only to dripping and they do this by using the best from clearomizers and tank carto setups. The rebuildability of the Vivi Nova with the quality materials of higher end tanks like, stainless steel, pyrex and fused quartz.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Its very hard to explain to someone whos probably never tried it but keeps knocking it anyway. Carto tanks are a big step up from clearomizers but in your case it might be better to just make the jump straight to RBAS that way you can tailor specifically what materials come into contact with your juice.

No intention to offend, zapped. And as I say.... I *believe* you, just wonder if my experience would be the same. After all, I keep hearing experienced folks talking about fruit flavors they like, so I try them, and they ALL taste like perfume/flowers/soap to me. Who's wrong? No one! We're just individuals, and this is all subjective. I'm curious about cartos, and intrigued by those who swear by them, but considering how picky I've been to date, I suspect you're right, and the sooner I'm ready to make the jump to an entry-level RBA, the happier I'll be. Thanks for all the info though, I *do* appreciate it.

Jester4

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Brampton, Ont
There is no filler flavor, thats what Im trying to tell you and Im not the only one who uses this particular setup with a lot of success.Using a tank with pre-punched cartos keeps that filler material saturated for the life of the juice if you do it right and more flavor from the liquid shines through then Ive ever had with with any clearomizer.Hands down.

Im not trying to sell you on the idea, Im sharing my personal experience that happens to be supported by a lot of others on this forum.Buy a ce4, a mini Nova and a pyrex tank system then fill them all properly with your favorite juice and you'll see the difference for yourselves.

RBA's are so insanely popular right now because of their juice and taste delivery which is second only to dripping and they do this by using the best from clearomizers and tank carto setups. The rebuildability of the Vivi Nova with the quality materials of higher end tanks like, stainless steel, pyrex and fused quartz.

I have to agree. I have a good assortment of nova's both stock and rebuilt using cotton, startdusts stock and rebuilt with cotton, RBA's using 400 stainless mesh and good old smok tech carto tanks. Although the clearo's using cotton wick (unbleached cotton from Walmart) are a pretty nice vape for flavour and vapor production, I find myself going to the carto tanks more often than the rest. I can imagine a Pyrex setup would be great. Do what works for you, but I suggest at least trying one. One thing I should mention is my experience with dual coil carto's were pretty bad though. I tried using them 3 or 4 times and could not get a vape without a burnt taste no matter how low I set the voltage. Once I switched to single coil smok tech carto's, life was good.

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada

Funny you mention RBA`s and dripping... I recently got a Rebuildable Dripping Atty... Just waiting on my supplies so I can rebuild it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread