Cisco 510LR and Old Goat - holy hell, best vape ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
So I'm not new to the world of APVs. Mostly I've built my own mods, currently daily driving a VV remote style one with CE2 clearos, but have dealt with many types of PVs and atties, cartos, and clearos. I wanted to get into bottom feeding, and was too lazy to build my own, so I bought one from Old Goat here on the forums.

First, praise for Old Goat. For $25, he sent me a beautiful little bottom feeder, (Ordered it Monday, got it Wednesday!). The construction is nice, and the $5 upgrade for the 5A horn switch is worth it, (real nice clicky feel). It's no Reo or VMOD, but it's a STEAL for $25. My only minor gripe was the resistor for the LED stopped the battery positive from contacting the post inside the mod (stuck out from the hot glue a bit). I pushed it deeper into the hotglue with a Key, and the battery (Trustfire 14500) connected well and fired. Again, for the price, it's a steal.

I got some 1.8 ohm 510LR Cisco atties. My god. The combo of these and the bottom feed is insane. I have never, ever, had so much vapor production, such clear flavor, and such a nice hitting little pocket mod. These atties are inCREDIBLE. I have to be careful as I vape and watch TV because blowing out a cloud obscures the screen!

If there's anyone out there who hasn't tried these yet with a liquid feed, get some. Compared with direct dripping on 306 and Joye 510s atties, it's in a league of it's own.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Old Goat sold me my first feeder in May of last year. I will thank him until my dying day for turning me on to bottom feeders. -- 1.8 ohm was the right spot for me too. I used 1.8 ohm boge cartos and 1.8 ohm cisco attys on it. Now and then I'd put a 1.8 ohm cisco 306 on (sometimes nothing else quite satisfies like a 306).

I'm glad you got the horn switch. The micro switch is too easy to trigger unintentionally... and that led to the death of my Old Goat. I got in the habit of switching it off every single time I set it down and my on/off switch failed after 8 months. -- I need to add that 8 months is extraordinary. My work and play are rough. Plastic mods in my possession are usually goners in under two months. But, I like the Old Goat so much that I took a lot of extra good care of it in situations that would normally damage other plastic mods I've owned. I have been planning on getting it repaired, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here is my feeder lin-up right now (and I'm including the Old Goat because i really do intend to send it in for repair one of these days and probably buy a second one): though I still occasionally use a carto on a tube mod or even drip in an atty on a tube mod, my feeders have drastically and permanently changed the way I vape. They are the easiest to use and easiest to maintain vaping devices I know of.

2012-07-21 02 06 28.jpg

From left to right, those are: REO VV Woodville made from South American Bloodwood with a long barrel 2.0 ohm hh.357 snf s bottle fuill of Bobas Bounty - My VVPV From notcigs black anodized body and door plus brass top and bottom caps plus brass 510 connector - it has a short barel hh.357 2.0 ohm and the bottle is full of AVE 555. - The REO Mini black with silver door. It's a perfect little feeder. Completely reliable and incredibly durable. It has a cisco 1.8 ohm 306 on it and AVE PGHYPE juice in it - and my currently dead Old Goat Feeder that I intend to have repaired one of these days for sure is just sitting here unusable and lonely. I was actually going to mail that to someone who wanted to repair it but I accidentally deleted the PM and so the Old Goat has sat here on my desk as a reminder that I need to email Ron and arrange a repair date.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Might I suggest that---as good as Cisco 510LR atties are---Ikenvape i06s and HH357s are even better, at least in my subjective experience.

I use them exclusively on all five of my bottom feeders (one of which is an Old Goat 3.7v with a horn button), while all the rest of my large stock of atties---including Cisco spec 510s and 306s---get no vape time at all anymore.

I'm not suggesting that your experience is invalid in any way. You might stick with Cisco 510LRs forever as your vaping nirvana. I'm just sharing my own experience---that there are really good custom atties and OMG custom atties.

In fairness, I haven't tried any of the current generation of wind-your-own custom kit atties, so I can't speak to those.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Might I suggest that---as good as Cisco 510LR atties are---Ikenvape i06s and HH357s are even better, at least in my subjective experience.

I use them exclusively on all five of my bottom feeders (one of which is an Old Goat 3.7v with a horn button), while all the rest of my large stock of atties---including Cisco spec 510s and 306s---get no vape time at all anymore.

I'm not suggesting that your experience is invalid in any way. You might stick with Cisco 510LRs forever as your vaping nirvana. I'm just sharing my own experience---that there are really good custom atties and OMG custom atties.

In fairness, I haven't tried any of the current generation of wind-your-own custom kit atties, so I can't speak to those.

I guess I know what I'm buying next :)

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
For me, i love the lr io6 on fixed voltage, the 2.5 ohm on vv. The Cisco 306 are a plenty good enough alternative just that i really, really, like io6.

I'm using them on a vvpv, an og vv (same batteries as vvpv), and a beautiful rsm mark 9 wooden feeder.

I still flip to a buzz pro and tank for tougher conditions, but I'm really enjoying the feeders :)

Dan Patrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Texas Forest Country
I like the bridgess Cisco 1.5 306. Use them on everything. Even VV. I dewick and debridge all of my other atomizers npw Rearrange the coil since know about rebuildables, I know no how these things work. I even debridged a new 1.5 Io6. Those are also great but I get weary when they are out of stock or
The site is down.

I have to say I never liked any of the
HH 357s. They make great vapor when you take short hard quick pulls. The same kind of pulls the put juice in your mouth. Then I got a long barrel and it's too cool. They work great just not my pull style. I have tried 5 of them new and old versions. Buy one more and I could have a Provari instead.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Alright, I've got an i06 on the way :). I can't stomach the price of the HH.357 yet... baby steps.

The i06 are great attys. The only one I like better is the hh.357... and honestly, the i06 is more forgiving on a bottom feeder. The hh.357 can be a little spitty if not perfectly fed. The i06 can handle a little overfeeding without getting spitty.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Any of the unbreakable, translucent plastic tubes from CE2 clearomizers or even Micromizer X7s work very well as sleeves for an i06. Occasionally I'll get one that's a slightly loose fit (one squeeze with a pair of plyers fixes that), but many are perfect---just snug enough without being too tight. Use them as is or shorten their length by cutting with a dremel or sharp knife. Longer tubes gives a cooler vape and vice versa. They fit all standard drip tips.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Any of the unbreakable, translucent plastic tubes from CE2 clearomizers or even Micromizer X7s work very well as sleeves for an i06. Occasionally I'll get one that's a slightly loose fit (one squeeze with a pair of plyers fixes that), but many are perfect---just snug enough without being too tight. Use them as is or shorten their length by cutting with a dremel or sharp knife. Longer tubes gives a cooler vape and vice versa. They fit all standard drip tips.

Good to hear - I've got a ton of those lying around.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Quick update: Got my i06 yesterday.

First impressions: wow this thing is overrated. It metered out at 1.6 ohms, (ordered 1.8), and I was having a real tough time not getting a burn-y taste. Vapor production was on par with the 1.8 ohm 510LR from Cisco.

Second impressions: Discovered that if I kept the thing in a state of constant flood, it works quite well. I need to have about a mm of juice in the catch cup, and suck it up into the atty with a sharp pull at the start, then pull as usual for a vape. If I do this, the vapor production exceeds the 510LR handily, the vapor is warmer and tastes better than the 510LR, and there's no burning. I like it a lot better, now that I've learned I need to keep it flooded.

I know that you're not supposed to have to keep it flooded, but it's the only way it works for me. As long as it gurgles a little as I'm drawing, it tastes good and has excellent vapor production. If I let it get to where it's got a silent draw, it starts to verge on burning.

Firing it with an AW IMR 14500 correctly charged to 4.2V.

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I am running a 1.8ohm i06 on my old goat, but I am constantly changing my battery for a fresh one. 1.8 is too high for a 3.7v device for me- 1.5ohm for a 3.7v is the right spot for me. My old goat has been great too, leaving me wanting a REO. I have had a few problems with it getting juice all over the place inside the box, but overall a great vape. My primary, all day vape is the 1.5ohm long barrel HH.357 on Provari mini @ 3.8-4.1v. That is the ultimate vape.... at least until I buy more stuff and find something that I like better

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
I am running a 1.8ohm i06 on my old goat, but I am constantly changing my battery for a fresh one. 1.8 is too high for a 3.7v device for me- 1.5ohm for a 3.7v is the right spot for me. My old goat has been great too, leaving me wanting a REO. I have had a few problems with it getting juice all over the place inside the box, but overall a great vape. My primary, all day vape is the 1.5ohm long barrel HH.357 on Provari mini @ 3.8-4.1v. That is the ultimate vape.... at least until I buy more stuff and find something that I like better

Yeah, the 1.8 ohm is a bit too much for me too. After messing with the 1.8 ohm i06 for a few days, I went back to the Cisco spec 510LR,I prefer it. My next purchase will be a couple of 1.5 ohm Cisco 510's...I think they might just give me the warmer vape I'm looking for, hopefully without scorching the juice.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread