Clapton coil for 1.5 ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
Hi all,

I have been making coils with kanthal which has worked well. I got some kanthal today to try out and I am having a hard time getting to my target ohms.

My preference is around 1.5 ohms (13ish watts)

The tank is a siren GTA 22mm

The kanthal is 26ga + 32ga, Ni80+Kanthal A1

I have made two so far, 3mm and 3.5mm with 5 wraps and I'm getting around .5 ohms in both cases.

Any suggestions on getting higher ohms? Can increase the # of wraps, or will the coil be too wide?

Here's a pic of my second try.

image1 (1).JPG

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
To do 1.5.ohm your going to need a small core wire like 30 31 or 32awg with a 40g or smaller wrapper.

Using wire you have do 3x the currency exchange wrap count should also be about 1.5 ohm....

But either way it's going to need more the 13watts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'm using pre-wrapped coil I bought at the store. So your saying I'd need to get a higher inner diameter, and out diameter wire, and to add more then 5 wraps?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The kanthal is 26ga + 32ga, Ni80+Kanthal A1

I have made two so far, 3mm and 3.5mm with 5 wraps and I'm getting around .5 ohms in both cases.

Any suggestions on getting higher ohms? Can increase the # of wraps, or will the coil be too wide?

You are going to have a Hard Time getting to 1.5 Ohms. Because you are going to need 10+ Wraps or so. And I can't imagine it Fitting in you deck. And the Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down are going to be Very Slow.

Have you tried the 0.5 Ohm coil you made?

• Agree
Reactions: VictorViper

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
My preference is around 1.5 ohms (13ish watts)

I'm guessing you like a cooler vape with flavor? Really you are going the wrong way with a clapton. Even at .5Ω you are going to be at 30w+ just to run it and it is going to be a warm vape and slow to ramp up. I'm also guessing you are looking for more flavor. Try this a 316L stainless single wire 28ga, single coil wrapped 2.5mm 6 wraps that will be around .7Ω if its too warm add wrap to move up in ohms till you find your sweet spot. Don't forget to adjust and try different wattages before change the number of wraps. This should keep you at 13-17w with cool and flavorful vape

Last edited:
Reactions: Letitia

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I agree with above, claptons are usually made for higher wattages then you are using. Now if you made your own claptons, maybe you could make them with really thin wires, but I haven't really heard of people doing that. I tried claptons a few times, buying the thinnest gauge they sell and with average diameter coils, you can't really get higher then like .7 ohms before the coil is to long to fit and a coil like that kind of needs 25 watts minimum imo to fire correctly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I agree with above, claptons are usually made for higher wattages then you are using. Now if you made your own claptons, maybe you could make them with really thin wires, but I haven't really heard of people doing that. I tried claptons a few times, buying the thinnest gauge they sell and with average diameter coils, you can't really get higher then like .7 ohms before the coil is to long to fit and a coil like that kind of needs 25 watts minimum imo to fire correctly

There's a 1.8ohm clapton for Atlantis heads that runs around. 15 watts..... I have one on my Melo tank... it still works so haven't determined what build the factory used yet. Gotta be 30 or smaller core with mid 40 wrap I'm guessing.

OP
wire wizard on steam-engine.org will help.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
There's a 1.8ohm clapton for Atlantis heads that runs around. 15 watts..... I have one on my Melo tank... it still works so haven't determined what build the factory used yet. Gotta be 30 or smaller core with mid 40 wrap I'm guessing.

OP
wire wizard on steam-engine.org will help.

I didn't know that, so appreciate the info...

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Been using 1.5ohm claptons at 20 watts in all my rta's for over a year now, great flavor with MTL vaping, I buy the premade wire from lightningvapes 36k/28k single core, do 6 wraps on a 2.5mm bit and comes out around 1.5ohms :D
My bad, didn't know they had them at such small cores...good to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread