The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Clash Of The Titans: Zmax or ProVari?

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by madmartyr72, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. madmartyr72

madmartyr72 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 22, 2011
    IN
    Hey everyone,

I am in the market of stepping up my game and going the way of the big mods. I have read/seen soooooo many reviews on the new Zmax and the ProVari that I now feel like a wiki site! I know the specs on each device, I know the Zmax is still pretty new and is also VW which I think is nice, and I know the reputation and quality of the ProVari, but what I don't know is what is going to give me the bigger bang for the buck. Since I am new in this market, I don't already have the essentials I will need (batteries, chargers, etc), so upon purchase of either one of these devices I will also have to buy these extras. Below is the costs of each kit.

Zmax Kit: $153.48/free shipping (x2 AW IMR18650 Batteries / x1 Charger / x1 3.5ml DCT)

ProVari Mini Kit: $198.90/free shipping (x2 AW IMR18450 Batteries / x1 Charger)

So with these numbers, were looking at close to $50 difference. Not a huge difference I admit, but I am on a budget and even at $153 I am gonna have a helluva time justifying that to my live-in gf of five years lol! Dismissing the reputation of ProVari for a moment, it seems to me like I could be getting a better deal with the Zmax AND also getting the option of VW to boot.

Is the ProVari really that much better than the Zmax or is it all based on fanbase and reputation? Honest opinions?

2. tnt56

tnt56 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Can't help with the decision about the two cause I own a VMAX. Spent $150 on it and when I got home my live-in for the past 16 years ask how much. I told her not to worry about it and started vaping. (I finally broke down and told her the price and for the first time in 16 years she was speechless.) I really like my VMAX

3. hmlessalky

hmlessalky Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Imperial, MO
    I liked the Vmax for vaping a lot more than my Provari. It was a beast. That being said, I had 2 Vmaxs die, each at right about a month, and the Provari is still performing flawlessly. I find myself wanting a Zmax, since I miss the power of the Vmax, but with the shipping and waiting from sending them back I will probably not buy another Smok mod for a while. So I would say if you go for the Z, make sure you have a good warranty on it and enjoy! Or buy the Provari and just run with it!

4. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada
    The Zmax price should be going down eventually,so the price point will be further apart;then you got to compare 18650 device vs 18650 device price as well,make it fair.

Electronics are more "precise" on the P than on the V (shown values vs real values) but once you figured out at what you like your power,its not really an issue.

Then you got the VW option of the V that is rather appealing;all that used it like 6-7watts for everything...set and vape...its the futur of mass production APV (futur starts now!)

Then which last longer...right now the palm goes to the P as the V is way too young to tell.

Shop wisely,sometimes those package deals are not that great...you can buy the charger elsewhere (a nice xstar wpII 6) some nice Panasonic CH and then the device itself,seperately.

Exemples:

XTAR WP6 II

Vape-Panasonic CGR18650CH battery

Then perhaps finding the best price for the V or P,or check the classies or get into a co-op to save dough

5. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    Provari has an excellent warranty and customer service,thats a selling point for me

6. A17kawboy

A17kawboy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 20, 2012
    Northern BC, Canada
    Go to the Zmax thread, there's been some good in-depth reviews on it recently. If you can live with it's- "quirkiness" let's say- then it might be right for you.
    IMO, at this point in time, the Provari should be part of every vaper's arsenal.

7. madmartyr72

madmartyr72 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 22, 2011
    IN
    I have heard similar stories before about the Vmax, and the thing about the Zmax is the jury is still out on how dependable they tend to be mainly because they haven't been around for very long. I have always maintained my PV's exceptionally well (extremely careful on dropping them, I clean and maintenance them very often, etc), but I know accidents can and will happen from time to time. I checked the warranty on the Zmax and it comes with a 90 day only.

8. cerver7

cerver7 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2010
    Shamong NJ
    I prefer my provari over my now sold vmax. Its a better quality item IMO. The voltage is perfectly regulated and every vape is identical to the last. Its made here in the USA which is something i like and provape is a GREAT company to do business with. Maybe its just me and which it probably is, but the juice in my feeders tasted better on the provari than in the vmax or the LT or SB with Kick.

To each his own and YMMV but good luck in your decision mate :)

9. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    With the Provari you will actually get what you pay for, a time-tested quality and built for the long haul. Provape will continue to service it way past the warranty should it need it. Will the Chinese knockoff do the same? No.

If you spend any time on this board reading the comments of Provari owners, how many of them complain about their devices? It comes as close to being the ultimate vaping device that you will be able to find. Is it worth the extra $50? I'd say a definite yes, but only you can decide that.

10. Catharlex

Catharlex Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 26, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    I would say that you can only really understand why the Provari gets such high praise if you've had it in your hands and used it for a while.

I ordered one and began to doubt it while it was in transit, but it's been by far my best vaping purchase thus far.

11. A17kawboy

A17kawboy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 20, 2012
    Northern BC, Canada
    Exactly. Unless you have the technical expertise to repair the device when it malfunctions it effectively becomes a disposable. Personally I'm striving toward self-sufficiency. Rebuildable atomizers, repairable PV, etc. The Provari fits that bill.

12. cerver7

Jun 18, 2010
    Shamong NJ
    +1 to last three posts :)

13. hmlessalky

hmlessalky Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Imperial, MO
    BTW, my Vmax(s) both died and were never dropped or abused.

Crystal Clear Vaping offers a 6 month warranty, and has a nice price, on the Zmax.

14. cerver7

Jun 18, 2010
    Shamong NJ
    They also had the old Boge Cartos for a while, but my last order from them has the two short condums on them and those just aint working right for some reason. Dam you BogeGate!!

15. WhiteClouds

WhiteClouds Full Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Romania
    I have a Vmax for the past 2 and a half months. No problems so far. A very powerful device and I love that. I can't be sure that it won't suddenly stop working somewhere, sometime in the near of far future. While i'd really like to own a Provari, in Europe the tube only costs a little over 200 euro (257 US dollars). The Vmax on the other hand can be bought from some vendors in Germany for as little as 60 euro ( 77 US dollars). I think you get my point now

16. WhiteClouds

WhiteClouds Full Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Romania
    So the idea is.....Provape come to Europe with a small shop and produce the Provari here so that we can all buy it at a reasonable price ;)

17. iamtumus

iamtumus Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i'm sure you could find someone in the us that would buy a provari and sell it to you at little to no profit.
    i would but all my vaping budget is currently tied up

18. cerver7

Jun 18, 2010
    Shamong NJ
    I know users that have had and still do have provari and provape-1 since release and they are running strong. All that was needed were new switches to handle dual coils which provape does for 20 bucks.

19. Aron Gatt

Aron Gatt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 5, 2012
    Malta
    Hi

I have a Vmax ss R3 not a Zmax at the moment and I Love it .it has power man and for the voltage ..well it a VV so you will surly find a swt spot for your Vape ... But to be honest " I got mine 100 dollars with batteries so it was about a 100 dollars difference from the Provari ... With a $50 difference I would go for The P " not for the close to perfect V output but for the better service of provape... Mate

That's my opinion ... But again if you wait , I'm sure the Z will go for $100 soon.. WAIT!!!
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. Startle

Startle Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    NY, NY
    One word - Provari.

Other devices do make good backups and are useful to take on the road ect. so as not to worry about being lost or damaged.

Vape On!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.