Status
Not open for further replies.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
they really put another menu setting for accurate voltages? weird!

Thought that myself and wondered why they didn't do that in the first place, it seems it was always their intention to make an overpowered device. On saying this, the V2 is the closest thing to the Provari as far as accuracy is concerned, long term I still don't know if smok have really made a reliable device, they don't tend to as a rule.

My money is still on the Provari, mine has never missed a beat.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Among the way, way, waaaayyyy too many PVs that I own, I have a Vmax V2, an Acrylimax VW, and a ProVari. I like and use all three.

If I were stranded on a desert island with only one of these three (and presumably a generator or endless supply of batteries), which one would I want? The ProVari---in a heartbeat, in a New York minute, without the slightest hesitation.

My Vmax and Acrylimax are nice APVs, but they can't hold a candle to the build quality of the ProVari. Remember when you were eight years old and your parents gave you a microscope kit? You were thrilled, at least until you went on a school field trip to a real science laboratory and saw what an industrial lab-quality professional microscope was like. Oh sure, your kid's microscope worked well enough, but it wasn't built with the finest available materials machined to exacting tolerances and weighing five times as much as your kid kit, which was put together with plastic and stamped pot metal. The ProVari is built like a tank, not to mention that if it ever breaks for any reason, you can send it back to ProVape and get it repaired for a reasonable price (as long as you have mail pickup and delivery from your desert island).

Sure, I wish the menu implementation were a bit more user-friendly on the ProVari, but it's essentially the same on the V/Zmax, so that's a wash.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
friend bought a zmax 3 months ago. it lasted 28 days, got it replaced, replacement lasted 31 days.... he got his money back n got something else.

Smok are pretty bloody awful when it comes to QC (or total lack of QC) I've had a few Smok devices die on me, there are more than a few folks that that have had the same experience.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I just got my ZMax V2 yesterday. It is SS and appears to be very well made. I didn't care for the Menu at first and it was very confusing being as all my other VV PV's had the three buttons and were simple to use. Once I learned how to use it I really like it. I got mine in a co-op so I don't have a long time warranty but for the price it is worth it. I will be using it mostly in the VW mode so I don't really need to use the menu much now. Being as I got mine for less than half the price of the Provari and it has VW which I am liking more all the time I am very happy with my choice.:)

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I just got my ZMax V2 yesterday. It is SS and appears to be very well made. I didn't care for the Menu at first and it was very confusing being as all my other VV PV's had the three buttons and were simple to use. Once I learned how to use it I really like it. I got mine in a co-op so I don't have a long time warranty but for the price it is worth it. I will be using it mostly in the VW mode so I don't really need to use the menu much now. Being as I got mine for less than half the price of the Provari and it has VW which I am liking more all the time I am very happy with my choice.:)

Yup.. I broke down and ordered one because apparently they use RMS (correct!) voltage in one of the modes.

So when I get it I'll stand it up against my 1.4 year old Provari and make a concise statement!

Personally, it might be a Provari killer. But I've got to use it :)

glauserjg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
buffalo,ny
Yup.. I broke down and ordered one because apparently they use RMS (correct!) voltage in one of the modes.

So when I get it I'll stand it up against my 1.4 year old Provari and make a concise statement!

Personally, it might be a Provari killer. But I've got to use it :)

Coz,

great show I just got mine in a few days ago (the v2) and wow. Haven't touched my provari since. It feels just as accurate and the vape doesn't diminish as the battery life drains. I actually prefer the feel and look over my provari too. The threads are buttery smooth on it and the Stainless steel looks great. Only time will tell on longevity though but for under 100 if it lasts me a year I will just buy another one :)

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
UGHHHH I was JUST set to buy my first Provari after THREE YEARS of wanting one. Now that the new stainless steel Zmax with CORRECTLY calibrated wattage mode has come out, I don't know which to get. The Zmax is made of stainless steel, and I know stainless steel is rugged and will protect the insides well. I JUST read a review yesterday saying that the Zmax is very similar to the Provari in the way of where the chip is situated, so its a toss up there. The Zmax LOOKS beautiful but I was kinda looking at the Provari mini's because they are nice and compact and small for use outside of the house.

********** BTW anyone thats read through this whole thread... I want to let you know that basically anything you've read about the Zmax concerning it being calibrated incorrectly is irrelivent because the new stainless steel Vmax IS calibrated correctly. The OLD vmax was calibrated to put out a voltage/wattage slightly higher than that of which you set it at. I have heard they did this purposely to combat bad reviews saying that their previous VV products were UNDERpowered. *********

Question: Is the provari regulated to keep the voltage at the voltage you set it at? The voltage won't drop as the battery drains, right? Thats a deal breaker for me because I know the Zmax utilizes pulse width modulation and the voltage does not drop as you drain the battery. Can anyone answer this definitively? I just read above someone say that the provari drops voltage and the Zmax did not.

Lance_Wallen

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2011
Fort Worth
www.steammonkey.com
the V2 provaris (only ones available) only suffer a very, very minor voltage drop at the very end of the battery life (the button will be flashing long before then)

Also, a correction to your post, most of the new stuff people are talking about is the 'Zmax' not the vmax, those are two different beasts. THe Zmax has the variable wattage or voltage setting. Vmax is just VV. Also, there are 2 versions of the 'revised' Zmax out, one with the 888 led window and one with the OLED menu. Both have 8 menu options, the OLED screen is slightly newer and has a slightly different PCB in it. Performance wise, they are pretty much identical.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Sorry, that was a typo when I had typed Vmax on my post above. I was indeed speaking of the Zmax. The NEW Stainless Steel Zmax has been upgraded to use RMS technology which makes it just as accurate as Provari in both the voltage menu and the 8th wattage menu. So there is no contest between the two concerning accuracy. What the screen displays on BOTH devices, is what the true voltage or wattage will actually be when setting and running both devices.

As I mentioned in the post above, both the Provari AND the new Zmax situate their chips in the same exact way. Neither of them protect their chips any further than the other. 1 reviewer here recommends that when using both devices, you take care to not roughly pack the battery into the tube, because the chips in both devices are relatively vulnerable. Although, with the Provari, you have a 1 year warranty on the internals breaking when you buy the device, with an optional $25.00 2 year warranty as well. And when your warranties are up, Provari will fix your device for a fee + shipping both ways. Smoktech will not fix your Zmax should you accidentally crack the chip by being rough with the battery. Smoktech will not exchange the button or the firing mechanism either. Provari would.

As far as build quality, they are probably almost evenly matched. The new upgraded RMS Zmax is made with stainless steel. Where-as the Provari is actually made of stainless STEEL. lol. Now, while they are both made of stainless steel, Provari uses a thicker stainless steel wall in their tube's than Zmax, although the Zmax's tubes do feel substantial in weight as well.

Manufacturing- The Provari is manufactured in the United states. The BARE circuit boards (the green board that the electrical components are hooked up to) are actually made within the United States. ALL or MOST of the electrical components on top of the circuit board that make the provari "GO" are made in: China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Malaysia. Provari states this themselves, noting that they would LIKE to use ALL US-made components, but most/all of the electronics are simply not manufactured at all in the US. Now the software that actually goes into these electronic parts, was developed by 1 of provari's workers. So it utilizes US made soft-ware.

Everything in the Zmax is manufactured and developed from the orient, which allows Smoktech to manufacture and develop new features and products at a faster and cheaper rate than US made Provari and US made mods. This is where the Smoktech Zmax gains ground, because the Zmax has newer technology in its software and electronics as compared to the Provari due to the fact that it is cheaper for smoktech to develop and implement this technology and software.

Provari is made in a warehouse in Seattle Washington, US. Quality Control is then performed at Provape HQ in Monroe Washington before being sent out to the customer. Provari is made by US hands and US workers which, believe me, (I've been a laborer) isn't always that far off from a true foreign sweat shop LOL. Seriously. No one really knows the salary of the workers for either corporation but I'd have to guess that they are average salaries for laborers in the US and in China. Hopefully Provape does not utilize cheap outsourced labor finder corporations and hopefully smoktech does not utilize unfair labor practices as well. I'm hoping neither would.

As far as durability, it is no question that BOTH models are durable. BOTH are made of mid-grade stainless steel and both are manufactured with relative quality standards measures in place. The Provari's stainless is thicker by a little bit but both are extremely rugged devices as assured by many reviews I have read and watched. They both utilize LCD screens. They both have a design flaw in where the chips are placed and lack of chip protection. They both have vent holes however the Zmax has vent holes on the sides. While this could be a aesthetic peeve for some, I believe it is a fantastic safety feature implementation. If your battery does go through a thermal melt down, you will feel it getting progressively hotter far before it reaches that no-return point. The quality of the chips themselves can be debated. I am not an electronics genius and I have not seen a review of each chip but I can say that the Zmax chips are/were mass produced at a very high rate for multiple continents where-as the provari is mass produced for ONE continent. BOTH chip's electronics are manufactured within China/the Orient, with Provari's being at a lower scale of production presumably. While the Provari is a bit thicker in Stainless width, both devices have few problems with build strength or battery housing strength. According to a post above this one, someone has stated that he button on the Provari supposedly (may be?) "military grade" What that means... I don't really know. What that means VS. the Zmax's button, I don't know... I'm guessing a button made for the US military is supposed to be generally conceived as being stronger than a button made for... a Personal Vaporizer? lol. IDK. SO its my opinion that they are almost evenly matched in tube durability with the Provari gaining extra points for being a bit thicker. (I cannot stand by this until I have a chance to feel both of them for myself, but I have heard that the Provari's tube is a tiny bit thicker than the Zmax's tube?) As far as electronic durability and stability... The Provari has had problems. The Provari DOES have bugs, even in version 2. Watch any review and any reviewer will tell you that there are SOME quirks about the Provari's menu system and some bugs. The Zmax may also have some quirks and bugs, as these are both electronic devices. There are some KNOWN quirks for each as far as I am concerned. Nothing that is TOO unforgiveable for either as far as bugs and quirks are concerned. As far as chip build quality, they both have Quality Control measures in place. ANY CORPORATION has QC measures in place. Provari has gone public with their process. The warehouse checks the integrity of the device, and it is then checked by HQ before being sent out. I would have to guess that Smoktech has similar QC measures in place at its facilitie(s) K? Both chips have electronics made in china soooo, whatever. Both have been sent out with problems (which is rare for both devices) TIE for this? Maybe. I will give an advantage to Provari simply because we know its a US corporation that stands by it's products, will help you, answer questions if you e-mail them, will accept returns/fixes, etc etc.

I have heard some stories of people having to return provaris to provape because something was not right upon opening the box. Just like I have read stories of Zmax owners sending back Zmax models to the US retailer for problems out of the box. The main difference is Provari is returned to the mother company for inspection and replacement where-as Zmax owners rely on the retailer's return policy to return their out of the box defective device. (which is then presumably sent back to smoktech and damaged pennystock and replaced by smoktech so as to not strip from the retailer's profits) HOWEVER- The Zmax is warrantied only as long as the US retailer has implimented his/her warranty. Where-as Provari is warrantied for a full year (included in price) and/or 2 years with an addition $25.00 down. provari will then repair the device or replace the device if broken within your warranty period. HOWEVER, if your Provari were to BREAK outside of it's warranty, Provari WILL repair or replace the device for a fee determined by the severity of the problem. So, in effect, the Provari will have the ability to be repaired for life. Where-as after the retailers warranty, if your Zmax breaks, you must purchase a NEW Zmax if your so inclined. So for long term fixes and returns, the Provari gets it for SURE! 100%

For overall user friendliness........ Tie. ALMOST. Same type of menu system. Same 1 button design. BUT- The ZMAX actually remembers your sweet spot and adjusts itself to your preferred sweet spot, no matter what resistance atomizer or cartomizer you put on it. This makes using the Zmax a lot easier than running through the menu of the provari for every differently resisted carto or atty. Both of these devices are calibrated in the same way. The OLD Zmax did not hold up to this, and that is why in the previous pages you see people complaining that the Zmax under-performs. No longer is the Zmax "miscalibrated" and they are both on the same level there.

For advanced technologies, Compatibility, Calibration/Software Reliability + Safety......... Smoketech Zmax WINS. The Zmax is an RMS vv AND variable wattage device. Which, if you read the paragraph above this, has its obvious advantages. The Zmax is also advanced in that it's vent holes will alert its user to a battery's thermal runaway more quickly and efficiently than the Provari might, because the Zmax has side vent holes. However, the Provari is not likely to have a thermal runaway because it utilizes the most advanced safety implementation software out of most PVs. As does the Zmax. They both have thermal regulation/monitoring. They both have voltage tuning as far as I know. They are both pretty damn advanced in this area.The Zmax can use ANY eGo type atomizer or carto devices where-as with the Provari, you will have to purchase a separate adapter to use any of your eGo type atomization devices. Its been said that these adapters can potentially suck voltage from your vape slightly, but nothing truly noticeable as far as I know.

With all that said, it all comes down to keeping the above in mind while keeping whats most important to YOU in mind. The Provari is a US made device and anyone from the united states or ANY free country for that matter should and could take pride in owning a Provari. The Provari is a quality device and the customer service and fan base IS the standard that others try to replicate. The Zmax has no customer support. The Zmax is more advanced in that it will alter itself for whatever you put on top of it... But if your using devices like this, you should know which voltage you'll want to use for each atty or carto you put on your PV. I have a feeling that IF the Zmax ends up being a long lasting device, its going to win its own big fan base... But for now that pool is small and the Provari has tons.. TONS of happy owners across the world. There is a reason people from 3rd world or developing countries buy them instead of buying whats overseas. There is a reason the Provari has such a great reputation. The Zmax MIGHT gain a similar reputation but we are at the beginning of it's legacy. The Provari is tried and true, the best Variable Voltage device on the market. It might be out of a lot of your price ranges.. But you will someday want to own a Provari if you begin collecting PVs. Both are wonderful devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread