The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Classy looking, easy vinyl skin mod

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by tinstar15, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Jonner

Jonner Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I love that burlwood. Any tips on how to wrap a box mod? I haven't wrapped anything before so I have no idea where to start?

2. Mr.Whitecloud

Mr.Whitecloud Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Richmond B.C
    That adds a touch of class.......why did I not think of that(palms face):D

3. dragonbone

dragonbone Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2009
    Somewhere
    Wow, I love it! I love what you have done with your SD MKII. What end caps do you have on them and where did you get them from? I have always hated the black plastic cover. Thanks :).

4. tinstar15

tinstar15 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 29, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    I just used some chrome spray paint from a local Ace hardware. I masked off the part that friction fits into the base before painting it. It would have worn off of that part of the cap anyways.

I just noticed the question about doing a box mod.... I have no idea since I haven't tried specifically. On mods with curvy contours, I used a hair dryer to heat the vinyl before peeling it off the backing paper. I got it pretty hot which makes the vinyl easy to stretch. I pulled it tight across the mod and smoothed out any wrinkles. When it cooled down it stayed put pretty well (i.e., hasn't peeled yet).

5. dragonbone

dragonbone Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2009
    Somewhere
    Great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't mind trying that if I can get a really small can :).

6. surfsuphere

surfsuphere Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2011
    PA - Bethlehem area
    The Burlwood decal is lovely.

How would one wrap a decal around a tube PV that has buttons and/or a display : eGo, KGO, LavaTube

7. carlton

carlton Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Albuquerque
    For my LT, I used a thin piece of paper, cut it to the right size, taped it onto the tube, marked the cutting spots (I used a triangle for the 3 buttons), overlayed the paper onto the skin and taped those together and then cut them both at once. I also have Star Wars decals on order. :p

8. MissKCMO

MissKCMO Full Member Verified Member

Jan 15, 2012
    KC, Missouri
    Great thread, will have to pick a few designs up.

9. tinstar15

Sep 29, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    I should be getting some new pics up when I get a chance, but I gotta tell you all about this....

I ordered some of the marine teak wood 3m di-noc vinyl on a whim. It's frickin textured!!!!

I wanted it for wrapping cartos for a Touchwood mini I picked up a few days ago. The vinyl has grain lines molded into it. Kinda looks like I'm vaping a dowel rod. If I didn't tell you, you would swear I had a wood carto at first glance.

Like I said, I'll add some pics as soon as I can.

10. tinstar15

Sep 29, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    Sorry it took so long to get these up. I'm not much use with a camera. It's hard to make out, but there is a degree of texture/grain lines to the vinyl. Since I got the Touchwood mini, I've been trying to find a carto/atty color that looked right with it. I finally settled on the 1.7 ohm mini cartos from COV, a gold drip tip, and the marine teak 3M vinyl from Metrodecals. As before, my poor efforts at photography do not do it justice. Stuff sticks better than glue. I paid around $4 for a single sheet. Thats plenty to wrap several packs of cartos or attys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Katdarling

Katdarling I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;) Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Posting to follow this thread. Lovely work!

12. warlike36

warlike36 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2010
    Seymour,IN.
    VERY nice, I was thinking of this one Chuck Norris Approved vinyl decal for my Chuck....lol

Seriously though..thank you for the idea and pointing us in right direction !!

13. tinstar15

Sep 29, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    Lmao.....Chuck Norris does not vape the Chuck, the Chuck vapes Chuck Norris.....

I appreciate it. Just trying to spread the wealth.

14. Sissylala

Sissylala Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2012
    Vegas
    I really love that wood. I need something 'classy' for work and this might just do the trick.

15. blueeyeddevil

blueeyeddevil Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2012
    West virginia
  16. jiff

jiff Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2009
    Arizona
    tinstar15

your mods are gorgeous. those skins definitely look good and sound like a great buy.

thanks for sharing!

17. lmorris

lmorris Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    GA
    tinstar15 , Thanks for the LINK .... your work looks awesome.

Vinyl sheets on order :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.