Status
Not open for further replies.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
I read countless threads daily about what everyone likes, or uses. I understand there is no consensus.

I want to know (in this thread)what everyone has tried so I can start a poll of methods used and opinions of those results........

here's a start . Let me know what's missing

no cleaning
brew rite
water
alcoholic beverages
isopropyl alcohol
burn off/frequency
how u vape.....i.e. drip, top off, prefilled only

what other methods are people using and frequency

I will make a poll after we get the options to see if anything stands out

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Happily--Good thread to start--just remeber that there is a big difference between cleaning an atomizer for taste and Preserving an atomizer for residue build up. There is a consensus from a factual standpoint by visual inspectiion that only burning off and Phosphoric Acid in Colas actually remove the hardened residue off a coil by visual inspection. Alcohol, Lemon Juice, Vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide, boiling, Brite Rite, Citric Acid, Baking soda, compressed air, and ultrasonic machines have all been tested and visually shown that they do not remove residual from the coil.

Burning Dry and with solvents and soaking in Phosphiric Acid are the only methods ( with another one coming on board) have shown to actually visually remove the residue to the point that the coil is cleared------Sun

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
<snip>

Burning Dry and with solvents and soaking in Phosphiric Acid are the only methods ( with another one coming on board) have shown to actually visually remove the residue to the point that the coil is cleared------Sun

Nice info indeed. I've already given up on the alcohol and the Brew Rite soaks. Although they clean the mesh up good, a more frequent rinse schedule in hot water would accomplish the same thing. Since I don't feel confident doing a burn, I will stick to the safer cola soaks.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Nice info indeed. I've already given up on the alcohol and the Brew Rite soaks. Although they clean the mesh up good, a more frequent rinse schedule in hot water would accomplish the same thing. Since I don't feel confident doing a burn, I will stick to the safer cola soaks.

I had tried absolutely everything else suggested and because nothing worked for me I decided I had nothing left to loose and now have started trying the dry burning..... and at the moment I am having the longest lasting and best working atties so far!!

Darlene7

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
Fresno, CA
Exactly what is dry burning - I am very new to e-cigs and have no knowledge or most things mentioned besides soaking in various things. Can you explain exactly how to dry burn so my husband can read it and I am sure he could figure it out. I use a DSE 801 Penstyle and my atomizers are from BesteCig in China, would appreciate any info.
Thank you, Darlene

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
I had tried absolutely everything else suggested and because nothing worked for me I decided I had nothing left to loose and now have started trying the dry burning..... and at the moment I am having the longest lasting and best working atties so far!!

Maybe one day I will give it a try. Right now I'm a little nervous with the burn since I did fry a couple of attys due to hardware related problems. A shame though as both candidates were in their 3rd and 4th week of usage. I was hoping to see if either would last over a month. Since both had been in use for a while, I suspect the gunk build up helped cause their death during the short burn.

Since then I went through a streak of attys that had a very short life span. As for now, a frequent rinse and an occasional cola soak seems to be working and I going into the 3rd week with my first test subject. Do you have 901 attys?

Last edited:

atoms.2009

Apr 14, 2009
Hi All

Been following all of these atty life extension threads since before I even began vaping. "Prepare for the Worst, Live for the Best."

The only other method I tried was Ice Machine Cleaner soak w/mixed results and requiring a LOT more effort.

I waited until pete's first atty on this method died & he posted that amazing pic of what I would concur is the best looking dead atty ever seen after 17 days of continuous use!

To get started with this method in the quickest way possible, I simply took an old 4.5v 800mA AC-to-DC Power Adapter I had lying around, chopped the end off, spread the wires a good distance apart & stripped the ends; I wrapped 1 wire around the outside of the atty & held it w/a pair of pliers, while inserting the other wire Barely into the end of the atty for 10sec at a time. I have since been modding this into a more permanent setup as time permits.

I must add: As well as blowing out all gunk in the beginning with compressed air; Due to talk of left over particulates, I have begun giving a quick shot of compressed air after each 10sec burn smoke has stopped, And YES, every so often (but not always), a small cloud of "dust" Does visibly exit.

And Finally, How I vape with maximum effect:

I go through about 1-2 cart refills per day. I burn once a day, when cart is spent between refills.

* Immediately after refill I keep my ecig at a 45degree angle cart end Down, until vape gets a little weak.
* At that point I keep my ecig Horizontal... again, until vape gets a little weak.
* Finally, I keep my ecig at a 45degree angle LED end Down, until it no longer vapes.
* Using this method, nothing Ever floods, vape lasts & is Always strong, cart is Fully spent, & atty is practically empty when vape fades.

Thank You ALL For Contributing To This Community!

I have found very much help here!

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Has anyone tried cleaning with acetone? (nail polish remover)
Maybe some one could try on a dead one to see what it does.
I haven't killed any yet or I'd try.

Acetone wouldn't be my first choice since it is too strong of a solvent. Acetone can soften and dissolve many plastics and vinyls which may effect the insulation on the wiring inside the atomizer. Secondly, from the attys I have taken apart on the DSE 901, there is a fiber material that wicks the juice into the coil. This fiber material maybe dissolved by the acetone as well. Even if the material wasn't dissolved, I would be concerned with the acetone leaving a residue behind. If you were to consider acetone, then I would suggest that you try cleaning an atty and then dissect it to see what effect acteone had.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Exactly what is dry burning - I am very new to e-cigs and have no knowledge or most things mentioned besides soaking in various things. Can you explain exactly how to dry burn so my husband can read it and I am sure he could figure it out. I use a DSE 801 Penstyle and my atomizers are from BesteCig in China, would appreciate any info.
Thank you, Darlene

I may be wrong here, but dry burning is toking on the atty when on the battery without any cartridges installed. Basically allowing the atomizer to burn off any residue. You do not want to inhale that, as it ends up tasting nasty, but I tried it and seemed to work. I got 3 DSE103 attys that I thought were dead back to life doing this.

When I put a freshly filled menthol cart on it after cleaning it this way, the throat hit was better than an orgasm. :cool:

edlogic

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
jax fla usa
www.edlogic.com
been smoke free for a month and the first 510 atty was getting hard to draw through so i tried rubbing alcohol soak and then wash and dry -
that did not work well the atty would hardly vape even though it was easy to puff again -

it seems that it was not getting hot enough - also it might be wrong to let it dry too long as maybe it will tarnish ? i don't know

i tried dry burn too but didn't help much and since it didn't seem to be vaping well i would do very slow draws and that made the atty get really hot to the touch

i thought it was the end ->

then i saw something about burning it with peroxide in it -

put tape around the breathing holes where the atty and battery meet so the peroxide doesn't leak out

i only let it burn for about 20 seconds

it worked - it seems like it is as good as new now - and it is so easy to puff that i have to make myself puff slow because it is so easy

only problem is when i puff now it feels like my hair is about to change color -
icon10.gif

Last edited:

caesar

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Bucharest
theprecious.ro
blowing through battery end
burning with peroxide 3% 2/week
burning just until red 2-3times/day

offtopic:
If you are getting a 1.7 ohm reeading on your atomizer, and it's not flooded. What other possibilities are there for not causing it to heat up?

99% it's a short circuit in the atty and you are measuring the multimeter leads, hence atty not heating up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread