The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cleaning Coils with Surgical Spirit - How do you reuse your coils?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Yodara, Mar 11, 2021.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Yodara

Yodara Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2018
    Kenya
    Hi there,

so I got this idea to reuse coils. My coils are expensive and some people on Youtube reuse successfully because it saves money and works.

If you reuse your coils, HOW do you do it?

Can I use surgical spirit (and water later of course) to clean them?

2. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I wouldn't advise it. It would be next to impossible to be certain you've rinsed it all out of the wick, and you really don't want to inhale anything toxic.

I've never found cleaning drop-in coils to be that successful. However, some people do boil them and/or use vodka or other forms of ethanol (the type of alcohol you drink) to clean them.

If coils are too costly where you are, have you ever considered trying rebuildables? You'll need a different tank, but a simple coil costs about 3 cents for the wire and cotton or rayon and 10 minutes of your time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Territoo

Territoo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    It's worth trying. Let us know how it works.

4. rosesense

rosesense ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner with a few drops of mouthwash and then a clean rinse in the ultrasonic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mordacai

Mordacai Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Ethanol would be the better option, as it leaves no residue and it would not be needed to be rinsed at all.

That's in theory though, results may vary and some coils may be easy to resurrect. So all you can do is just try.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    I used to try to clean my cartomizers when first starting out. After I got into building my own, I couldn't believe the amount of crud that actually gets baked onto the coil. So, my question is where does that crud go when trying to clean drop in coils?

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    Are you sure those aren't old videos? People used to clean old coil heads because they were easy to dry burn since the wicks were silica, not cotton. You can't dry burn a coil with a cotton wick.

I tried thoroughly rinsing out a cotton coil and letting in dry out really well, but that didn't work so well. The cotton got rather stiff and didn't wick so well and it tasted awful. I gave up after that one attempt, but I'm open to new tings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Vapemesilly

Vapemesilly Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 21, 2017
    Nevada
    What he said...if it's cotton it's not going to work so well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. UncleJunkle

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    On the other hand, if you are using older Protank coils that have silica wicks, they can be cleaned and dry burned. Eventually, you will have to rebuild them and they can be rebuild with cotton if you prefer. However, with protank coils, it's best to use NR-R-NR wire. You can buy the wire from FT or you can buy the coil premade

$1.72 Pre-Coiled Welded Wires - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 32 AWG / 1.5ohm / 30*30mm at FastTech - Free Shipping

and

$1.72 Pre-Coiled Welded Wires - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 33 AWG / 1.8ohm / 30*30mm at FastTech - Free Shipping

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Pigs

Pigs Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    I used to clean drop in coils by holding them right up to the hot tap and blasting hot water down them. Left to dry thoroughly.
    It never worked very well though. The flavour was muted from that point on. If you're desperate it will keep you vaping a little longer.

• Like Like x 3
  11. UncleJunkle

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    Not only that, but the chemicals/minerals in tap water that will get stuck in your cotton might not be a good thing to vape.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Pigs

Pigs Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Never thought of that. The cotton would be acting like a filter absorbing any nasties.
    No - better just switch to rebuildables for so many reasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. UncleJunkle

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    I agree. Or at least coils heads that are easier to rebuild. All the "baby beast" style coils seem really easy to rebuild (the single core ones) because of the wide open top.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Which specific coils are you using?

• Like Like x 2
  15. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I do rebuildables but I also like a sub of them tank every now and again I'm usually I'm running one out of the four devices I usually run. I also clean most of my coils. I would stay away from anything that is not considered edible. The way I usually do things is I'll wait until the coil let's say the PNP coil for voopoo because that's one of the ones I use all the time. I usually get between 10 and 14 days sometimes longer out of the coil before I start to either lose flavor or start tasting like I'm about to get a dry hit. If the coil actually burn burns and applying some juice to it and then vaping it doesn't improve the flavor immediately that coil is trash It's not even worth trying to clean it. But if it's just starting to taste like you're about to get a dry hit I usually will pull my coil I will blow as much juice out of it as I can. And then I will simply rinse it in hot water and blow through it time and time again blocking off the largest open part of the coil and blowing through the end where it would connect to the atomizer. That side anyway. And I just repeat a bunch of times sometimes I use my water pick dental device to spray water in there to clean it out but that can mess up the cotton. I used to soak it for overnight and stuff like that but I haven't actually seen a lot of difference between that and the way I'm doing it now with just running hot water through it. I also have little tin y cleaning brushes sometimes I'll I'll scrape that along the mesh a little bit but that also fluffs up and ruins the cotton sometimes. Anyway The most important thing is that you let that cotton and that coil completely dry before you use it again. It has to be completely dry or it will not work out in my opinion. Anyhow I usually wait for it to dry then I e-juice it all back up really well I pop it back in my tank and I usually get another 7 to 10 days out of it.

It's unusual for me to get less than 3 to 4 weeks out of vp coil.

Now they came out with a SMRT wotofo coil that can be used wherever Voopoo coils work and it's a rebuildable sub on style coil. It is probably going to take over my desire to clean a coil and I'll probably just use those instead. I really like the way they work but cleaning a coil is possible. sometimes it doesn't work out that well other times it works out really well I had one coil that I used for 3 months it was a free max gem tank which has a dedicated coil and I used that sucker for three stinking months before it even started to give up the ghost washing it every two or three weeks with hot water and drying it out. now I think my vape devices do benefit from the fact that I don't use only one device at a time so even though I'm using it everyday let's say for 3 months I'm only using it as half or a third of the stuff that I'm vaping so each day would be more like 3 days so that 3 months is probably more like a whole month of using that device and only that coil

• Like Like x 3
  16. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Using Cheap Vodka would be a Better Call for Cleaning Drop-In Coil Heads.

Even in a Best Case, cleaning Coil Heads doesn't bring them all the way back. More like 50 ~ 75%.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Yeah that definitely matches my experience as well. You get more time but you don't literally double the time

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yodara

Yodara Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2018
    Kenya
    Thanks everyone, I will try this once my pack is over. Good tips

• Like Like x 2
  19. NCC

NCC Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    I've had very little success in rejuvenating coils. Fact is, I gave up, LOL.
    But, since I've been consuming unflavored liquid, the service life of my coils is so long, it doesn't really bother me much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. ARYANTO

ARYANTO Full Member

Mar 13, 2021
    JHB South Africa
    I chuck them in a small glass jar with some vodka - shake it up , throw the dirty vodka out and repeat , re use them , at least good for another week .
    Disclaimer - do not drink used vodka ;)

• Funny Funny x 4