Cleaning Coils with Surgical Spirit - How do you reuse your coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I agree. Or at least coils heads that are easier to rebuild. All the "baby beast" style coils seem really easy to rebuild (the single core ones) because of the wide open top.

8829201-1.jpg
You would think. I tried it once. Too tedious and didn't even work after all that. A straight up rebuildable is the way to go. I have several on standby for when I cant get coils for my fireluke anymore. I'll surely miss these mesh coils when they're gone though. Been my go to for a couple years now. But I can wrap a mean coil setup and vape famously.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'll surely miss these mesh coils when they're gone though.

Someone in the stocking up thread rebuilt a mesh coil once. It was over a year ago and I can't find that post. You just have to be careful when removing the mesh coil and putting it back in. They have welded-on leads.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I chuck them in a small glass jar with some vodka - shake it up , throw the dirty vodka out and repeat , re use them , at least good for another week .
    Disclaimer - do not drink used vodka ;)

I used to do the Same way back when when I used Drop-In Coil Heads.

I called them my "Break Glass in Case of Emergency Coil if Coils where Out of Stock or my Vape Mail got Delivered Wrong".

Or BGINCOEICWOOSOMVMGDW for short.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Someone in the stocking up thread rebuilt a mesh coil once. It was over a year ago and I can't find that post. You just have to be careful when removing the mesh coil and putting it back in. They have welded-on leads.
    I wont be attempting that. I tried to rebuild a coil for the tfv16, found it to be too tedious for me to wick it properly so I gave up. I have a fair amount of 22ga kanthal on hand to keep me in my go to handmades for the duration.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner with a few drops of mouthwash and then a clean rinse in the ultrasonic.

I go back in forth with myself on the logic, but if we're inhaling something basically heated to steam, I've wondered about any real threat of microbes. To be safe, now and then I take apart my Aspire glass BVC tanks and soak all of the parts in Listerine. I like the smell and taste of Listerine, and it doesn't linger for very long when you rinse after soaking overnight, in plain water, let them dry, put the tanks back together and start using them again.

Whether I use mouthwash or vodka or vinegar, the color coating on the Aspire peels off in sheets, gone. I don't mind though. They end up with the underlying stainless steel showing out.

I've never found it worth trying to recycle the BVC coils though.

Reactions: YoursTruli

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I used to try to clean my cartomizers when first starting out. After I got into building my own, I couldn't believe the amount of crud that actually gets baked onto the coil. So, my question is where does that crud go when trying to clean drop in coils?
    When I used to try to clean drop-in coils, I'd put them in a lidded tupper with vodka, soak awhile, then shake the container hard. After that there would be chunks of black crud in the vodka.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Hi there,

so I got this idea to reuse coils. My coils are expensive and some people on Youtube reuse successfully because it saves money and works.

If you reuse your coils, HOW do you do it?

Can I use surgical spirit (and water later of course) to clean them?

I wouldn't try to clean drop on coils.. those of us who clean our coils use rebuildables and change out the wick at the same time.. but we don't use any cleaner either. Just remove used wick then burn off any gunk on the coil and use water and a brush without removing the coil from the base to clean off any residue. Then we use new cotton when rewicking.

now learning how to build and use rebuildables, that I highly recommend. Drop-ins have their place (vacation etc) but they are expensive for daily use.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Soon after I started vaping I read some advice on cleaning and reusing heads. If a coil lasts 3 weeks you can expect cleaning it to give you another week at best, and it won't be as good. Cleaning it a second time won't give you anything. Most of the responses to that post agreed.

Seemed like a lot of bother for not much benefit so I never tried it.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I spend about 3.00 a month on drop ins and I have never found a rebuildable that I liked the taste of (including ones folks sent to me and those made by people who taught classes on building) so I will spend the extra 2.97 per month. I do use some ego one clr's that I just rewick for about a year. Haven't rebuilt any yet. I will just wait till I have a bunch and send them to @DPLongo22 to do. J/K Dp.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I keep close track on my costs, on average drop in coils cost me $3 a week, I don't consider that expensive.

What Always stuck in the back of My mind when I used Coil-Heads wasn't so much Cost. It was... "What Happens if they Stop Making these Coil-Heads? Or they are OOS when I Need to Re-Order?".

And that was Way Back when Talk of Shipping Bans was just an Worst Case Doomsday Scenario.

dennism

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 18, 2015
    Maryland
    What Always stuck in the back of My mind when I used Coil-Heads wasn't so much Cost. It was... "What Happens if they Stop Making these Coil-Heads? Or they are OOS when I Need to Re-Order?".

And that was Way Back when Talk of Shipping Bans was just an Worst Case Doomsday Scenario.
    I see your point, but old age and dexterity says other wise for me.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I spend about 3.00 a month on drop ins and I have never found a rebuildable that I liked the taste of (including ones folks sent to me and those made by people who taught classes on building) so I will spend the extra 2.97 per month. I do use some ego one clr's that I just rewick for about a year. Haven't rebuilt any yet. I will just wait till I have a bunch and send them to @DPLongo22 to do. J/K Dp.

You wouldn't be the only one, @rosesense . ;):lol:

The things we do for vape. :vapor:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    A very interesting thread which I have enjoyed reading through.

When I started out and had got beyond using the old atomisers with silica wicks, I read about this idea of cleaning coils, but tried it and honestly thought it was more bother than the results justified.

In my Doomsday stash I have devices that have rebuldable coils; I can rebuild coils on auto pilot ... but, if I am honest, drop in coils to me taste better and last for at least six weeks so I'm happy to stick with them until I can't get them any more.

Others mileage may vary ... and BTW if I did try it again I certainly wouldn't be using surgical spirits - maybe Bell's whisky, which we sell to the English as revenge for Flodden, and which I used to buy to clean my pipes out with when I smoked but not surgical spirits!

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    They started making A7's in 2012, and other than carto tanks I've never used anything else.
    Start to finish it takes all of 10 minutes to wrap & install a new coil, so why would I want to change?!?

My Provari's still work fine (with carto tanks)
    and my Caravela's do too (with A7's)
    I bought "lifetime" supplies when it became obvious that vaping was turning to toast here in the US,
    and I'm glad that I did!

It became obvious what the FDA was going to do when they lost that lawsuit. (That pizzed them off), and I feel sorry for anyone who has had their head stuck in the sand for the past 10 years.

ps:
    I'm almost 80 years old and still wrap my own coils & DIY my own juice.
    (and I can make my own mods & atomizers if need be)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread