Cleaning Coils with Surgical Spirit - How do you reuse your coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
The commercial juice I buy at 18mg/ml and cut it down to 3mg/ml with PG and VG, so 30 ml = 180 ml. A lot bigger savings than a few coils especially considering the cost of commercial juice. DIY juice, even cheaper, but I understand not everyone has the desire or ability to do it.

That is what I convinced my daughter to do, she likes drop ins - won't build or mix her own. But she has been cigarette free for several years. I foresee my building and mixing for two in the coming years.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    As far as cost of using factory coils, it depends on a lot of factors. I found a coil, the Eleaf EC coils, that for me last over 2 months so far with my initial experimentation. It comes to about 2 cents a day for me at the price I bought them for. If I bought at full price, it would still only cost me only 6 cents a day. But you have to keep in mind my juice is moderately sweet, clear/no color, 6mg nic, 50/50, 21-23 watts. So others may have different outcomes.

I'm going to keep experimenting with these coils for a while, using coils from different packs from different vendors that I bought from to see what happens. If I find that this longevity is consistent for me, and I can still buy them when I'm done experimenting, then I'll be buying about 6-10 more bricks (50 coils/brick) of these coils and getting rid of the bulk of my rebuildables (but not all) and other factory coils and tanks eventually.

I mean, if you can find a coil you like at a cost of $0.60-1.80/month, it hardly seems worth using rebuildables unless...
    • it's necessary or
    • you just prefer rebuildables or rebuilding coil heads or
    • you can't afford to buy a lifetime stash or
    • $0.60-1.80/month is too expensive for you (which is understandable because some people live on very tight incomes).

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Haven't really read the entire thread. I have used ethyl alcohol (cheap vodka) to "clean coils"... mostly to get rid of a strong flavor and move on to another (and a good overnight dry) Otherwise, it didn't really help much... not worth it for "drop-in" coils. I agree with others... get into rebuildables (so easy to re-wick and the coil can last a long time... just do a "dry burn" before each re-wicking)

Reactions: Z-Lee

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If I used a coil once a week and ran 3 ml's of juice through it, I could say the coil lasted me 20 weeks. It's not how long the coil lasts but the amount of liquid you put through it.

True, I forgot to add that my experience this far withthe EC coils is with about 10ml per day through one coil. Heavy use - I'm a chain vaper with a capital "CHAIN VAPER" :). Pretty much, if my hands aren't occupied, I'm vaping. I actually went longer than 60 days, but about 10-15 of those days were not heavy use so I'm just calling it 60 days for that coil. I'm going longer on another coil I started at the same time, but it, too is starting to go. I'm just gonna call that a 60 day coil, too.

This next coil I'm trying out from another box from another vendor will be heavy use from day 1.

I wish I could prove it, but there's no way. I would have to provide an uncut 24/7 video of myself for a 60+ day period lol.

The EC coils are compatible with my Melo and Melo 3 tanks.

They also fit any tank that takes atlantis coils with or without the need for the top threading. That covers a lot of tanks.

My theory as to why they last so long is because I run them at low wattage for a 0.5 ohm coil. The dual coils are made of thin gauge wire so I think this is why 21-23 watts provides me a decent DL vape. I can't do that with a 0.5 ohm subtank coil - it won't vape well for me below 30-35W, which is too hot for me. 1.2-1.5 ohm Subtank coils last me only about 3 weeks, 4 at the most, at about 15-18W.

I would push them to 40 Watts with heavy commercial juice, and they would last less than a week.

Most likely right with sweet and/or colored commercial juice at about double the wattage. Higher VG might also be a factor in shorter life.

Last edited:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    I get where the OP is coming from and there are a few things people can do to extend coil life I'm just not convinced washing is one of them. Aside from it generally not working all that great I worry more about unintentional added health risk from whatever is used to try and wash them or particles washed out of the coil now in the wick for inhalation. I feel like, personally, no flavoring, reducing flavoring, picking non sweetener eliquid, lowering watts, vaping less, are a few more viable and safer options for extending drop in coil life.

ZCAR1

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2014
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    @DPLongo22 After reading this thread, it appears you may be the one able to help me.

I've been vaping about 7 years, but the last several have become dependent upon mostly eGo ONE mega tanks. I've purchased numerous boxes of CLR coils and never got around to re-wicking – I'd just throw them in a jar (sometimes soaked in water first, sometimes not). They were cheap enough from a Fasttech sale, that I just bought more boxes. Now those CLR coils are no longer available from FT (or anywhere else) and I've got a jar full of used CLR coils, and soon running out of new ones.

The coils are supposedly easy to re-wick and I did try one time. The used wick came out easily but I bent the crap out of the coil trying to stuff a new piece of cotton in. Also, the coil was full of crap that I was supposed to “dry burn” off, but didn't know how to go about it.

If you could give me a few basic instructions, or some tips, or recommend a good utube video, I'd really appreciate it.

Reactions: Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    As far as cost of using factory coils, it depends on a lot of factors. I found a coil, the Eleaf EC coils, that for me last over 2 months so far with my initial experimentation. It comes to about 2 cents a day for me at the price I bought them for. If I bought at full price, it would still only cost me only 6 cents a day. But you have to keep in mind my juice is moderately sweet, clear/no color, 6mg nic, 50/50, 21-23 watts. So others may have different outcomes.

I'm going to keep experimenting with these coils for a while, using coils from different packs from different vendors that I bought from to see what happens. If I find that this longevity is consistent for me, and I can still buy them when I'm done experimenting, then I'll be buying about 6-10 more bricks (50 coils/brick) of these coils and getting rid of the bulk of my rebuildables (but not all) and other factory coils and tanks eventually.

I mean, if you can find a coil you like at a cost of $0.60-1.80/month, it hardly seems worth using rebuildables unless...
    • it's necessary or
    • you just prefer rebuildables or rebuilding coil heads or
    • you can't afford to buy a lifetime stash or
    • $0.60-1.80/month is too expensive for you (which is understandable because some people live on very tight incomes).
    If you're ever planning on sharing this info, try to keep track of how many duds you run into for each as well. I, myself, have not run into a dud coil yet (knock on wood), but before recently, I way overused coils to the point where they were more or less indefinitely burnt flavored before I tossed them out. I also only ever used the old Aspire Atlantis coils for about 4 years. From all the research, I'm hearing of a few brands that are running into dud batches where some people will get a complete 5 pack of dud coils. I think I'd be pretty irritated by that if it were to happen to me.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

If you could give me a few basic instructions, or some tips, or recommend a good utube video, I'd really appreciate it.

Been awhile since I Re-Coiled one of those CLR Coils. But here is a Trick that makes it easier when You do.

After you have the Coil on your Mandrel/Screwdriver and you put the Coil into the Body of the RBA Section (9:43 in YT's above Vid), screw on the Top Cap to hold the Coil/Mandrel in place.

This makes it Easier to put the Rubber Seal in the other end. And to get the Wires Lined up ready to be Clipped Off.

There used to be a Huge Thread around here that had a Lot of Tips and Tricks in it. But I Can't Remember what its it was called?

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I used to do the vodka bath method but I've since decided that a spent coil is going to stay spent. I don't put any effort into reviving them anymore. I am starting a bag of old ones though for just in case down the road.
    I have so many coils on rotation right now, that I don't even remember the last coil I threw out. :blink:

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    I used to do the vodka bath method but I've since decided that a spent coil is going to stay spent. I don't put any effort into reviving them anymore.
    FWIW, i've had good luck cleaning coils w/ the vodka bath method -- soak in vodka for a couple days, boil, air dry. Get nearly another week out of PnP coils. Longer w/ Fireluke coils; i'm vaping w/ a cleaned one right now and it's still fine after nearly 2 weeks at 40W w/ a marshmallow flavor e-liquid.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread