Cleaning Smok Coil in ~5 minutes for extreme juice change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Received a free sample of VW "Double Rainbow" ordered 2 weeks ago. Been letting it steep before veering off into taste testing any la-la land vaping. Ok not my cup of tea to say the least. Their website describes it as Skittles, reminded me of Pixie Sticks (bit chalky fruit tones) with a Lemon Pledge after taste. Using Smok BBB T8 0.15ohm ran the watts scale in 5w increments 50 to 85w (sweet spot stated 60-80w T8 0.15) Yeah reminding me of childhood Pixie Sticks with a cleaning the furniture after taste lol. Regardless I'm not into deserts or fruit vapes so no big deal. At 22 days off stickies vaping 3 dif tobacco juices.

Ok, disassembled and simply rinsed the coil in sort of hot running water blowing it out and more water a couple times. Reassembled and filled BBB with my main tobacco juice. (NOTE: was NOT worried about drying the cotton/coil first.) Drew about a dozen no fire puffs to get "some" juice in with the water wet cotton began giving it some power coming up from 50w. Takes a few pretty much mainly water hits and then the vape starts building. After maybe 8 or 9 pulls at full vape and had it up at 65w where I normally vape this juice. Nice strong vape that tasted very strongly of those stupid Pixie Sticks, barely tested tobacco juice at all. This is NOT the quick method that works but rather what does not work.

Here's what does work. Disassembled, rinsed off juice and placed the coil in a 12oz steaming pitcher and filled half way with off boil filtered water. (from hotwater on demand at sink) Then brought it up to fast rolling vortex boil in about 12 seconds via steam wand of my espresso machine. (Slayer, very high end commercial class) Dumped the water refilled and repeated the steaming with fresh water 4 times total. Then rinsed. Blew out excess water from coil. Quickly towel dried parts, back together with water wet coil/cotton and filled tank. Took half dozen or so pulls under power to fully replace water in cotton with juice and vaping away ALL that fruity crap gone. Not a hint. Cool. (Wasn't worried about it though, have 9 spare T8 0.15 coils and 3 BBB atties.;))

Obviously most people won't have the ability to use a commercial strength espresso machine steam wand. As I'd read some others doing boiling water should do the trick, no alcohol or long soak needed. Simply boiling would not have the very vigorous water vortex of steaming so stirring would probably help speed it up. Just take a bit longer than steam power cleaning the coil.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Nice!

I've been boiling coils clean since my Protank and EVOD days. A 20-30 minute rolling boil usually does the trick. I've "consumed" exactly one OCC coil for my Subtank and still on my first Baby Beast coil.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nice!

I've been boiling coils clean since my Protank and EVOD days. A 20-30 minute rolling boil usually does the trick. I've "consumed" exactly one OCC coil for my Subtank and still on my first Baby Beast coil.
I'm too new at vaping to have a coil life expectancy track record but if I understand correctly you are cleaning them regularly and virtually never replacing? If so way cool, even though I already purchased 10 of my decided on BBB T8 coils AND just ordered 25 more to get the price down to just above $2 each. I'd thought to be getting around a year supply, who knows maybe make that a decade.:p

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I'm too new at vaping to have a coil life expectancy track record but if I understand correctly you are cleaning them regularly and virtually never replacing? If so way cool, even though I already purchased 10 of my decided on BBB T8 coils AND just ordered 25 more to get the price down to just above $2 each. I'd thought to be getting around a year supply, who knows maybe make that a decade.:p

I've only had the OCC coils for about six weeks. I bought a pack of five to go with the two that came with the tank and of the seven, three remain in their blister pack, one's in use, two are in the "clean but used" jar and one (the very first) shorted when I cranked the Pico up to 72 watts.

I haven't changed the Beast coil in three weeks of use because I haven't changed flavors in it and it's still going.

The Protank coils are less durable, but those too are kept alive for three to five uses before they give out.

Boiling is easy--fill the pot, drop the coil(s) in, turn the heat on and come back in 30 mins or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread