Cleaning syringes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLSChows

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've found rinsing them and letting them dry works for a while, but long term they need to be replaced. Syringes when bought in bulk are cheap. Box of 100 for under $10 from petsupply sites like jefferspet.com They also sell them individually.

(I'm a vet tech so I go through quite a few anyway...you'd be surprised at the uses you can come up with for them :D)

I liked the needle exchange program option too :)

nicfix75

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Orlando, FL
I've found rinsing them and letting them dry works for a while, but long term they need to be replaced. Syringes when bought in bulk are cheap. Box of 100 for under $10 from petsupply sites like jefferspet.com They also sell them individually.

(I'm a vet tech so I go through quite a few anyway...you'd be surprised at the uses you can come up with for them :D)

I liked the needle exchange program option too :)

Would I need any kind of paperwork saying I could buy these or anything?

PLSChows

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Nope, they have them listed more or less for livestock and farmers can get all this without prescription. I've never had a problem and ordered some syringes and needles a few weeks ago (needed them for the animals though :))

PLSChows

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Nope, they have them listed more or less for livestock and farmers can get all this without prescription. I've never had a problem and ordered some syringes and needles a few weeks ago (needed them for the animals though )

Juicy Liquid also has some glass syringes on their site, maybe you could go that route and you wouldn't have to worry about melting them while boiling. I'm a klutz so I know I'd break them ;)

Doubt you'd have a problem boiling them since they're all made to be autoclaved and I believe autoclaving gets even hotter than boiling...might want to put them in something to keep them above the bottom of the pot you're boiling in.

Dishwashers might be a good idea since they sanitize as well. Just make sure they're dry when you put them back together or the rubber part of the stopper will stick to the syringe itself...not fun fighting with it to push it down.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Juicy Liquid also has some glass syringes on their site, maybe you could go that route and you wouldn't have to worry about melting them while boiling. I'm a klutz so I know I'd break them ;)

Where have you seen glass syringes? JL seems to only have 3ml and 10ml in plastic..? The plastic syringes..the markings wear off fairly quickly..

:confused:

tremolo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 20, 2009
    New Brunswick, NJ

PLSChows

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Last edited:

tremolo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 20, 2009
    New Brunswick, NJ
    For that price you can get almost 2 boxes of 100 of the plastic ones (3cc) Didn't realize this was a 10 cc syringe. Those are a little more. I haven't found the numbers wearing off of the "monoject" plastic ones, they're also etched.

I agree, but it's definitely a viable option for some. Disposing of 100+ sharps properly can be a drag, so I don't fault anyone for looking into alternatives. Especially when mixing and measuring juice, you don't need sterile syringes.

deeptrout

ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2009
    Utah
    You could always try your city's needle exchange program.

im sorry i loved that comment and the trouble someone went through to make it without thier own username.

you could always get an autoclave for the needles and thenreplace the plungers, depending on the volume of your syringes you could always just use insulin syringes you can get the for rediculously cheap at any drug store. i just bought 5 from a lab supply store, might get more eventually but im betting they will last me a while

edit: the ones i bought were 3cc and had a pretty large gauge and long needle

Last edited:

PLSChows

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I agree, but it's definitely a viable option for some. Disposing of 100+ sharps properly can be a drag, so I don't fault anyone for looking into alternatives. Especially when mixing and measuring juice, you don't need sterile syringes.

I'm not faulting anyone for anything...just offering alternatives that could save money. I'm a firm believer in "to each his own" :)

You're right, we don't need sterile syringes for juice. I don't think I've seen unsterile syringes in bulk although I'm sure they're out there. I'm just used to using Monoject (I've used Terumo but not crazy about them). I buy the needles and syringes separately for the bigger ones and the 3 cc's are so cheap with the needles, that if I need a different size needle or none at all, I just toss the needles in a box for future non-sterile use. Again, I used these for the animals more than anything and thought I'd let people know of suppliers that they may be unaware of.

I guess it depends on where you live. If I'm not mistaken (although that does happen on occassion :oops: ) you can just bend the end (to make them unusable and put the needles in a plastic soda bottle with a screw on cap and toss it.

That is of course if you don't have a Dr or Vet willing to take the few (relative to what they're used to disposing of) to dispose of them for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread