Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmin

Jan 14, 2008
To clean your atomizer I use a damp tissue and shove it in the chamber and twist, make sure you remove the batter first, then let dry.

i would not recomend this
because you could damage the atomizer

in holland we use the folliwing option (for the old model and not the mini)
take of the battery and cartridge so you only have the atomizer left
close the battery side with youre thumb, and let a few drops of cleaning alcohol fall in to the atomizer, and close the cartridge side with youre finger
now you should have an atomizer filled with alcohol, shake it a bit but do it gently.
now let the alcohol out thru the attomizer side.
repaet it till no more mess/junk is coming out
then blow thru the atomizer from the battery side
and then let it dry really good (one or two days).

when it is dry put back a fully charged battery, put one drop off liquid directly on the atomizer .
carefully start smoking with short puffs but do not inhale, untill the smoke get`s less
then put in a cartridge and start smoking as you used to do, but keep in mind that if there`s still alcohol (you can taste it) in the atomizer that you dont inhale the smoke untill the alcohol is fully gone

and when it worked out wright you can enjoy yourre almost brand new cigarette

and please use only cleaning alcohol (97% is the highest free availeble in our country) and not anything else

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
I just noticed this from the instructions for my Sedansa:

To clean - blow gently from the battery end for 10 seconds. Steam will emerge and the atomizer will self-clean.

I just wonder what is happening when you do this? Is this a bit of a workaround, or is there actually some cleaning program built in?

Any ideas?

esmoker

Unregistered Supplier
Feb 11, 2008
Germany
www.esmoker.eu
Hi,

when you blow from battery size, you activate the internal airflow sensor of the device. In fact nothing else happens if you normally suck the cigarrette.

When doing this without cartridge, the temperature of vaporizer is higher than usually and some unwanted things inside vaporizer are vaporized. This procedure can improve fog production a bit, however it is dangerous, because overheating will destroy the vaporizer.

Usually, the cigarettes (NOT the cigar versions) do have an automatic cleaning procedure activated by the circuit after 1500 sucks.

vafvaf

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2008
Europe
Smokey_Joe said:
I just noticed this from the instructions for my Sedansa:

To clean - blow gently from the battery end for 10 seconds. Steam will emerge and the atomizer will self-clean.

I just wonder what is happening when you do this? Is this a bit of a workaround, or is there actually some cleaning program built in?

Any ideas?
esmoker said:
When doing this without cartridge, the temperature of vaporizer is higher than usually and some unwanted things inside vaporizer are vaporized. This procedure can improve fog production a bit, however it is dangerous, because overheating will destroy the vaporizer.

maybe i didnot understand some basics ;-) how the temperature of vaporizer going higher when we blow from the battery end? the battery is detached -where from energy would come? i am facing a mystery now with the cleaning my atomizer: after i blow from the battery side and put the battery back-i am able to make just one or two puff ;-( , after its blocked again... i did all washing procedure..still on the same point.. any advice? how actually the atomizer constructed? someone care the good technical picture?
tnx

vafvaf

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2008
Europe
so,finally i did clean my atomizer; i found a good advice on ecig forum:
"..filling a cup with warm water and placing the atomizer in it to loosen the residue than drawing water through the end that screws into the battery into my mouth, when the "taste" is clean I stop, which is typically about half a dozen times. Once this is done, I dry the unit by attaching it to a battery and drawing through the cleaned unit until the "hissing" stops, then I put a new cartridge in and let the e-liquid have time to absorb into the steel wool about 10 minutes and than back to e-smoking."

its work for me..and great that its no waiting time for drying.. ;-)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Just have to say this: Can you imagine wealthy folks (or even most cigarette smokers) sitting around doing this? Who are we kidding? We are pioneers, with a spirit of trying the new. We'll do it and grin. Most people won't. Too much trouble.

Note that Ruyan and Loong Totem are now offering one-use mini cigs. When the atomizer/cartridge is dry, toss it and plug in a new one.

Someday, we will buy these like a pack of cigarettes and dispose of them the same way we do cigarette butts.

vafvaf

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2008
Europe
ohh yess, TB! i feel it as a strange new "obsessions", i like the concept of e-cig very much, so, ready to spend and invest some time for it ;-), and hope we could help this concept to move on..its right for most of the people it would looke like too much "problem"...but we r here to help -make it better ;-) also for our self!

Minus Sign

May 2, 2008
I actually love this aspect of our new "fad". Its like tweeking my Zippo to get better performance...or hand-rolling. There's always been a kind of ritualistic satisfaction to my smoking expierience.

Any machine requires maintence to perform optimally. Thanks to all those pioneers who did the work first..and posted your results ;) Lets hope that manufacturers recognise the demand for taking care of their machines and start posting and printing instructions for their devices.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That's an apt analogy. It is akin to hand-rolling cigarettes. Anyone remember Laredo rolling machines? But how many people smoke hand-rolls vs commercial made cigarettes? I also liken my e-smoking rituals with those for my pipes. Lots of chores to keep 'em optimal. That's why pipe smoking trails both cigar and cigarette smoking.

We are pioneers and proud of it. But the future is disposable product.

Only then will the masses join us in benefiting from a healthier way to satisfy nicotine addiction.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Last rites given my atomizer:

I have washed an atomizer before. Ran some luke warm water over it, then dried with wife's hair dryer. Worked great. Performed like new.

So I did it again the other night with two atomizers for my mini cig. One survived; one died in recovery. What happened, I think, is that this time I followed the advice to let it dry overnight before dripping and firing it up again. I blew out the excess moisture and stood both atomizers on end for about 12 hours.

That's when I discovered one was DOA on the battery. The sole survivor seems little changed by the near-death experience.

When I looked closely down the metal tube to the atomizer, I think I can see rust all over the coils. I tried scratching at the rust, but all attempts at resuscitation have failed to resurrect it.

Bottom line: I will never wash another atomizer under luke warm water and let it sit out overnight. To make matters worse, my e-pipe atomizer seems to be gasping its last breaths. But performance of all of these devices is so sporadic that it might jump up and shout "Hallelujah!" in a few days. Whatever .. it's not ever going to be baptized.

geppa

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2008
solovapor.es
Plain water is corrosive to almost everything inside TB. Try cleaning with alcohol. It will dry faster and wont produce any damage. I've done it at least half a dozen times, to 4 devices (2 e-cigarillos & 2 e-cigarettes). It won't clean as well as water apparently, but it won't damage either. Neither the electronics nor the "atomizer" should be affected by it. Alternatively, which is what I'm about to try next, you could clean with warm (as hot as you can manage I suppose) water and thoroughly rinse with alcohol afterwards. The important part is that in the end, it should be the alcohol who dries, not the water. I also use a small, handheld vacuumer (very small, beer can size) to dry but vigorous shaking and then sucking until what comes out doesn't have an alcohol taste works too. Unless you have a very low power, handheld vac (like keyboard vacs), suck on it. A regular vacuumer would likely destroy the ciggy.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Thanks, geppa. I've read so much on "cleaning" in the past ...

It's hard to determine what is correct and what is bad information. The manufacturers often say "don't clean" at all, that high atomizer temperatures clean as much as is needed. A knowledgeable poster said flavored e-liquid clogs an atomizer faster than basic tobacco flavors. I have no idea.

Dr. Jim's saline solution would seem to speed rusting. I think my real problem was not thoroughly drying the atomizer piece before leaving it out overnight. I did not use a hair dryer this time. I should have. The pieces were probably still damp or wet and, yes, rust will set in quickly.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Just posted this in another thread, seems a good place here also.

I got the odd burning taste w/the Njoy and seemed to have some success today removing it.
- blew out the atomizer using computer air (pointing the straw onto the battery end of the atomizer),
- then dry smoked it (no cartridge, just original mouthpiece) WITHOUT INHALING for probably 45 minutes.

There were great billowing clouds of vapor as I really puffed away on it. I noticed after I took a hit that if I pulled off the mouthpiece the atomizer was still vaporing (has anyone else noticed this?). It definitely seemed to be burning something off the atomizer that wasn't quite normal.

Once the vapor had dwindled down to very little, I tried a regular new cart again and the burning taste/smell has so far been gone.

All of you whose posts gave me the above ideas - THANK YOU!!

vapors

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2008
I followed a tip to leave the atomizer upside down overnight. Then starting smoking with a new cart. But I got the horrible burning smell. What happened was the threads under the metal atomzer were dry and started to burn. So I would suggest after drying the atomizer, make sure you "recharge" the atomizer by dropping 3-4 drops on it, so that the threads resoak. This will prevent burning of the theads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread