Clear Juice Turned Pink after a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
Nicotine extract oxidizes too, as I understand it.
In fact nicotine itself oxidizes into colorless substances. Anyway - most liquids turn yellow, orange or pink after some time.
There are several slow chemical reactions going on there, eg formation of so called charge-transfer complexes.
There's nothing to worry about.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Nicotine extract oxidizes too, as I understand it.

In fact nicotine itself oxidizes into colorless substances. Anyway - most liquids turn yellow, orange or pink after some time.
There are several slow chemical reactions going on there, eg formation of so called charge-transfer complexes.
There's nothing to worry about.

LOL. Got ya! That's why I said "Nicotine EXTRACT"... more than just nicotine (unfortunately). See the Yellow Nic link in post #4. If you get DIY e-juic in 100% PG it still turns colors, as I understand it. PG by itself (no nic extract) won't, or won't change as fast.

So maybe you can enlighten us as to what is turning colors in our juice for fun (I for one, probably won't understand you though). There's a lot of debate about vendors having "the clearest nic juice" and such. Since there are probably as many clear things that will kill ya as non-clear, IDK weather that even means anything! Probably a useless debate. It may be an indication of purer extract, or just less oxidation, who knows. Enlighten us!

Last edited:

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
LOL. Got ya! That's why I said "Nicotine EXTRACT"... more than just nicotine (unfortunately). See the Yellow Nic link in post #4. If you get DIY e-juic in 100% PG it still turns colors, as I understand it. PG by itself (no nic extract) won't, or won't change as fast.
No, no...
#1 - to be precise - there's no such thing like "nicotine extract". Probably you were referring to tobacco extract - that's something else. You cannot "extract" something from a single chemical.

So maybe you can enlighten us as to what is turning colors in our juice for fun (I for one, probably won't understand you though).
Several compounds in this liquid could react with each other - some giving colored and some giving colorless products. If you mix good fresh USP grade nicotine (pale yellow) with PG or VG, you'd get practically colorless solution. It turns pale yellow after some weeks - I cannot tell you exactly why, but it does not come from the oxidation products.

There's a lot of debate about vendors having "the clearest nic juice" and such. Since there are probably as many clear things that will kill ya as non-clear, IDK weather that even means anything! Probably a useless debate. It may be an indication of purer extract, or just less oxidation, who knows. Enlighten us!
Couldn't agree more - most toxic substances are colorless. In fact, vendors should provide us with some certificate of nicotine origin, expiry date and its purity.
It's the way it works here in Poland.

Reactions: bti_jet

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
The vendors, and many users, claim that air oxidizes it and turns it colors. Hmmmm. Guess not. Good to know. So age is the major factor.

As to the rest... you know what I mean... the way they obtain nicotine is from an extraction of tobacco into an impure source of nicotine (by whatever means) that is mixed with PG/VG for nic base. So the nic-juice, whatever you want to call it, has other impurities. Tobacco extract is also imprecise since it doesn't name what is extracted, only the source. I'm definitely not referring to TA (Tobacco Absolute) when I say "nicotine extract" however imprecise that is. I want as few tobacco chemicals in my e-juice as possible... other than the diluted pure nicotine. I just can't get it. And I assume that those other chemicals play a role in the coloring.

In fact, vendors should provide us with some certificate of nicotine origin, expiry date and its purity.
It's the way it works here in Poland
Liked.

Last edited:

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
The vendors, and many users, claim that air oxidizes it and turns it colors. Hmmmm. Guess not. Good to know. So age is the major factor.
In fact this is a very popular urban legend. The mixture is very complex, the same applies to the reactions.

As to the rest... you know what I mean... the way they obtain nicotine is from an extraction of tobacco into an impure source of nicotine (by whatever means) that is mixed with PG/VG for nic base.
Well - in fact the nic base should contain only pharma grade nicotine and the solvents. Nothing else. And USP grade nicotine is at least 99,9% pure.

I want as few tobacco chemicals in my e-juice as possible... other than the diluted pure nicotine. I just can't get it.
You should buy it in Poland then.

And I assume that those other chemicals play a role in the coloring.
Right.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Well - in fact the nic base should contain only pharma grade nicotine and the solvents. Nothing else. And USP grade nicotine is at least 99,9% pure.

Yeah, the FDA test MAY indicate otherwise... but I'm not 100% sure. There are a number of other posts that reference traces of other stuff... IDK if that's the .1 % or not.

Do the Polish e-juice vendors ship to the USA? Does their e-juice still turn yellow over time?

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
Yeah, the FDA test MAY indicate otherwise... but I'm not 100% sure. There are a number of other posts that reference traces of other stuff... IDK if that's the .1 % or not.
Of course, there still will be traces of eg TSNAs - they're found in patches and gums, too.

Do the Polish e-juice vendors ship to the USA? Does their e-juice still turn yellow over time?
I can ask them about shipping to the USA. As for the color - yes, their e-juice (base) turns pale yellow, but it takes some months usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread