Clinical testing of ecigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KISSfn

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2008
Rowlett, Texas
Does anyone know if there are plans to do clinical unbiased testing to determine the level of safety, long term effects etc. of esmoking?

Was in the local bar after work for the first time with my ecig. Naturally everyone was curious as no one had ever heard of such a thing let alone seen it in action. When asked "what's in it?" I mentioned propylene glycol as one of the ingredients. Someone asked "you mean antifreeze?" Since I was drunker and bigger than this guy I made it clear he was mistaken.....
Turns out he was right! I now know this and the many other uses for PG. It's still kind of shocking to know I'm smoking something that would kill a cat for sure. Not to mention that if the ejuice is also manufactured in China ( not highly regarded as having human safety high on their priority list ) I do not have high hopes for quality control. I know regular cigarettes kill. But now I feel like I don't know how much, if any, safer vaping is.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
some anti freezes are made from ethylene glycol. it is these ones that would harm animals and possibly you. PG is not put in cat foods because tests are inconclusive as to whether it harms them. pg is in everything from hair products to McSalads.

there as been a few tests by some of the suppliers.

Last edited:

parapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Greece
Thanks for the replies and pointing me in the right direction. :thumb:

i'm working in chemicals so i know a few things....

ethylene glycol mixed with 30-50% water and some dye = typical anti freeze for cars. also used in heating and freezing machines.

propylene glycol (technical) same properties than ethylene glycol when used in heating and freezing machines. big air conditioner freezer,sun-heater, snow/ice machines, smoke pumps,etc.
and not eatable consumer products.

the eatable propylene glycol is called "Propylene Glycol-USP"
pharmaceutical grade of monopropylene glycol (PG or MPG) with a purity greater than 99.8%.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
you are welcome.

btw.
your avatar reminds me the kiss concert in Athens (GR) i went a couple of months ago....which we had to wait 25 years for it...just about when i started smoking.....

Adds a whole new dimension to sucking on a Kiss Box!!;-)
John.

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
i'm working in chemicals so i know a few things....

ethylene glycol mixed with 30-50% water and some dye = typical anti freeze for cars. also used in heating and freezing machines.

propylene glycol (technical) same properties than ethylene glycol when used in heating and freezing machines. big air conditioner freezer,sun-heater, snow/ice machines, smoke pumps,etc.
and not eatable consumer products.

the eatable propylene glycol is called "Propylene Glycol-USP"
pharmaceutical grade of monopropylene glycol (PG or MPG) with a purity greater than 99.8%.

hope that helps.

Long term trials are extremely expensive, a minimum six figure sum even in GBPs to get anywhere near license level. That's where the big tobacco and chemical suppliers will step in.
There has been considerable confusion regarding types of glycol, not least some years ago when there was a spate of poisonings caused by Diethylene Glycol being used instead of Mono. It was found in 'fake' toothpaste originating from.........China. There were 100 deaths in Panama when DEG was inadvertently used in cold medicine, the DEG had come from China with misleading labels.
I'm thinking of marketing a totally safe vape liquid called H2O, or Kettle Juice!;-)
John.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread