Clone mod/RBA/ genny style.. Or the real thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHguy

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Orange County ca
I know there's a lot of different mods/ RBa/Genesis out there and lot of clones on it. And lot of good clones also.I just started vaping few weeks ago and I went to a lot of different local shops and also look at lot of different websites about vaping and mechanical mods. I even did lot of research on batteries. One of the local vape store let me try different mech mods I really understood high end mods make a huge difference. I was wondering what other people thought. Is it worth to pay over 300 for mod and another 200 for high end RBA? Would something like precise ela or precise simplicity 18650 good enough? And also with high end RBA/ genesis? I have not seen any high end RBA/ Genesis at any local vape store or online. Just lot of clones. Is it worth ordering the real one from Russia or Europe or other countries in Asia? I was just curious on what others thought?

bfitz

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2013
ohio
You will get a lot of opinions about this but I think the whole real vs clone debate is up to you.

I don't have any high end expensive mods, the most expensive one I won is the natural. I do own a lot of clones and cheap mods and they all perform differently.

One thing that I do like about cheap mods is that it gives you an idea of what you want out of an expensive mod. I know that I prefer bottom or thumb buttons and don't really like pinky buttons. I like mods with floating pins in the connection. I want something that telescopes so that I don't have to worry about what batteries are charged. Cheap mods let me figure out all of this without having to try and come up with the money for a few different expensive mods.

Now that I know this I don't mind the idea of spending $100+ on a mod because I am more likely going to enjoy it and not want to sell it or let it sit on the shelf.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
Is it worth to pay over 300 for mod and another 200 for high end RBA?

IMO, no and no. Unless you've got the disposable income and are into collecting. There is some great gear out there that will vape just as well if not better than the high-end stuff. Also, when it comes to mechs and rebuildables, you want to make real sure it's something you want to commit to before you sink a lot of money into it. The good news is that high-end stuff retains its value pretty well if you eventually decide to sell it. The bad news is you're going to pay a lot and/or endure some amount of frustration just trying to find it.

Would something like precise ela or precise simplicity 18650 good enough?

Probably and probably. I've never tried any Super-T stuff before, but I hear really good things (and funny you should mention it, as I came >this< close to ordering the Simplicity 18650 tonight). I'm planning on sending some business their way soon! You don't need to spend a fortune for a good mech, but you also don't want to get suckered into buying one of the many crappy mods that are out there. Read reviews and watch videos to find the good stuff.

And also with high end RBA/ genesis? I have not seen any high end RBA/ Genesis at any local vape store or online. Just lot of clones. Is it worth ordering the real one from Russia or Europe or other countries in Asia? I was just curious on what others thought

Order yourself an AGA-T2 or UD AGI to get started. They're quality pieces, easy for beginners to work with, and either can be had for around $30.

MHguy

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Orange County ca
That's so true to see what I like on expensive mods. I do have the natural and I had sigelei 13b but had button issues and it doesn't work. I bought precise simplicity 14500 and I love it. I'm thinking about ordering precise ela but I don't know if its really worth it. Not just price but to check the website everyday to see if its available and the waiting time since its preorder everytime. I want to get precise simplicity 18650 but it seems like they are going to make 18500 and 18350. And I don't know if I want to get 18650at that point and just try to get ela. But thank you for your post. I'm just curious on what people thought.

MHguy

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Orange County ca
IMO, no and no. Unless you've got the disposable income and are into collecting. There is some great gear out there that will vape just as well if not better than the high-end stuff. Also, when it comes to mechs and rebuildables, you want to make real sure it's something you want to commit to before you sink a lot of money into it. The good news is that high-end stuff retains its value pretty well if you eventually decide to sell it. The bad news is you're going to pay a lot and/or endure some amount of frustration just trying to find

Probably and probably. I've never tried any Super-T stuff before, but I hear really good things (and funny you should mention it, as I came >this< close to ordering the Simplicity 18650 tonight). I'm planning on sending some business their way soon! You don't need to spend a fortune for a good mech, but you also don't want to get suckered into buying one of the many crappy mods that are out there. Read reviews and watch videos to find the good stuff.

I have a precise simplicity 14500 and I love it. I really like super t. I have also been communicating with one of the employees to see when and if I can get an ela. But it's lot of hassle still. I think you convinced me on just ordering simplicity 18650. I'm just going back and forth.

Order yourself an AGA-T2 or UD AGI to get started. They're quality pieces, easy for beginners to work with, and either can be had for around $30.
I do have a lot of aga and igo series stuff but I tried kayfun lite from one of the employee at the local vape shop( which he got it through craigslist) and it opened up a whole new world of vaping for me. And I don't have disposable cash but I figure if I get one really nice one I would be satisfied. I'm just wondering if its worth ordering from them directly and waiting and the hassle. I wish I can just go to local vape store and get it.

Thanks for the advise. This is my first day posting on ECF. I have learned soooooo much from this forum and there's always something new to learn in vaping

MHguy

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Orange County ca
I have a precise simplicity 14500 and I love it. I really like super t. I have also been communicating with one of the employees to see when and if I can get an ela. But it's lot of hassle still. I think you convinced me on just ordering simplicity 18650. I'm just going back and forth.

I ment to add that but it came out as a quote. I tried to copy what you did but failed. Sorry for being a noob.

ilanstylz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
SoCal
I cannot compare high end atty's to cheaper ones or clones since I don't own any high end ones (or expensive ones).... I do however own several high end mods and several clones, and I must say there is a difference in not only the quality of the mod but there is also a difference in how well they perform IMO....... One of my mods is a vw nemesis and IMO no other mod that I own can compare to the quality of the build and how it performs. I would like to one day possibly try out a kayfan or ithaka, but from what I've read and researched on is the ithaka clone and russian 91 (clone of kayfan) performs just as well as the real ones..... So I guess it comes down to what you want and what your pockets can afford in some ways......

MHguy

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Orange County ca
I cannot compare high end atty's to cheaper ones or clones since I don't own any high end ones (or expensive ones).... I do however own several high end mods and several clones, and I must say there is a difference in not only the quality of the mod but there is also a difference in how well they perform IMO....... One of my mods is a vw nemesis and IMO no other mod that I own can compare to the quality of the build and how it performs. I would like to one day possibly try out a kayfan or ithaka, but from what I've read and researched on is the ithaka clone and russian 91 (clone of kayfan) performs just as well as the real ones..... So I guess it comes down to what you want and what your pockets can afford in some ways......

I saw Ithaka clone at fasttech and russian91 at vaportekusa. I was about to order russian91 because I saw the reviews on it. But they had issue with kebo the distributor yesterday and noticed they had to raise the price. I should have ordered it when i first saw it without thinking about it. And at that point I'm thinking about ordering directly from kayfun but I'm still not sure. Have you tried ithaka clone? I saw the reviews on that too but it didn't catch my attention. I would love to try out hellfire, did, kayfun mini/3.1 or even go spheroid.
And I fell in love with kayfun lite.
I tried steamboy but it was just ok.

Oh I'm going to order some drip tip from high desert vapes. I like the brass drip tips.. And also I want to try out a7 rba.

Last edited:

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
just wanted to add my 2 cents...

i've seen this analogy used before in terms of e-cigs, but it really applies to everything - the 10/90 rule. the exact numbers you use don't matter, the point is you can pay about 10% for 90% of the performance, but you'll have to pay 90% for the additional 10%. cars, for example, are the same way: is it worth paying $300k for a ferrari when you could pay $15k for a honda? both essentially do the same thing (get you wherever you're going), but it's undoubtedly more fun doing it with a ferrari.

likewise, the more expensive mods and attys probably "perform" around 10% better than their clones. this "performance" could be that they work out of the box instead of having to sand down contacts or otherwise modify them, better materials for slightly higher conductivity, attys that are easier to set up correctly, or even just a brand name with slightly higher quality than a knock-off with slightly lower (but still passable) quality.

is the price premium worth it? many people (including myself) think so, but probably just as many don't. heck, i'm on the opposite end regarding vv/vw mods - there's no way i'd ever pay for a provari when an ego twist gets me 90% of the way there (i only use vv mods as last-resort back-ups).

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
oh, btw, super-t mods ARE high-end mods. many people swear by them - they're virtually indestructible, and you almost never really have to clean them.

many other high-end mods will have silver-plated, copper, or silver-plated copper contacts for lower voltage drop and a harder hit, but you have to clean them almost constantly to keep the performance up. both perform better than clones in one way or another, but going back to the cars, it just depends on whether you'd rather have a land rover or a jaguar.

MHguy

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Orange County ca
just wanted to add my 2 cents...

i've seen this analogy used before in terms of e-cigs, but it really applies to everything - the 10/90 rule. the exact numbers you use don't matter, the point is you can pay about 10% for 90% of the performance, but you'll have to pay 90% for the additional 10%. cars, for example, are the same way: is it worth paying $300k for a ferrari when you could pay $15k for a honda? both essentially do the same thing (get you wherever you're going), but it's undoubtedly more fun doing it with a ferrari.

likewise, the more expensive mods and attys probably "perform" around 10% better than their clones. this "performance" could be that they work out of the box instead of having to sand down contacts or otherwise modify them, better materials for slightly higher conductivity, attys that are easier to set up correctly, or even just a brand name with slightly higher quality than a knock-off with slightly lower (but still passable) quality.

is the price premium worth it? many people (including myself) think so, but probably just as many don't. heck, i'm on the opposite end regarding vv/vw mods - there's no way i'd ever pay for a provari when an ego twist gets me 90% of the way there (i only use vv mods as last-resort back-ups).

Haha great comparison. But that is exactly right! And I guess that's why I want try out other high end mods and rbas. But at the same time I have to be real and see if its worth it in my budget. And I totally agree with retorx and going to buy precise simplicity 18650. And wait lil longer and try to see if I can get kayfun somewhere in Cali. And if I can't ill just order from Russia.

Thank you all for the post. I understand people of difference of opinion but I love to hear every side of the story/issue. And for me it's more then just 2cent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread