Clones and varying resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I recently got the dead rabbit and bonza clone. I tried pre built 0.6 kanthal 26 gauge coils in them and they seemed a bit small and kinda stretched giving very varying resistance. So I built my own out of 26 gauge kanthal 7 wraps dual coil to come out to .51 but the resistance jumped up .64 on the dead rabbit and on the bonza it went up to .80. I stopped using the bonza thinking maybe it just needs bigger, exotic coils but the coils I made for the dead rabbit fit really nice. Any ideas why this is happening?

Reactions: stols001

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Even the jump from .51 to .64 is way too much when using Kanthal.
For Nichrome this isn't unheard of though.
Did you try your atties on several different mods?
If everything is screwed in tight on the atties, there might be the possibility that the 510 connector pin on either mod and/or atty is simply too short, so that the RDA doesn't make good connection.
That's a quite common problem with Eleaf, Joyetech and Wismec mods for example.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Did you happen to clean the RDAs up before use? I have seen clones have a lot of machine oil and/or some sort of greasy residue built up under them posts and insulators. Sometimes this goop can cause bad connection issues making resistance go crazy. Take them apart and give them a good scrubbing and inspect it all while disassembling to make sure there is no obvious problems, as they are clones and QC is not much of a thing in the clone market.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Did you happen to clean the RDAs up before use? I have seen clones have a lot of machine oil and/or some sort of greasy residue built up under them posts and insulators. Sometimes this goop can cause bad connection issues making resistance go crazy. Take them apart and give them a good scrubbing and inspect it all while disassembling to make sure there is no obvious problems, as they are clones and QC is not much of a thing in the clone market.
That problem is in no way limited to clones.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
That problem is in no way limited to clones.
Very true, but it does seem much more prevalent in the clone market.

I always do recommend taking a new atomizer apart and deep clean it no matter where it came from, even used ones previous owners who claim it to be sterilized.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Cleaning an atomizer (clone or not) should be done for traces of machine oil and WHO knows what.

As far as your jumping resistance yeah, you don't want that to be happening. I'd agree with checking the build and the connections as well as making sure you don't have any wire where it shouldn't be. To rule out your mod, I'd probably test it on something else, although honestly it does sound like an atomizer problem and etc.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: mimöschen

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
An alternative to a full on ultra sonic cleaner is a cheap vibrating jewelry cleaner which is around 5 bucks at Walmart. I use my wife's old one sometimes, I fill it with vodka and run it for about 20 minutes, then let it soak for a while, then turn it back on for a few more minutes. Works just fine, especially for someone on a tight budget.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
Even the jump from .51 to .64 is way too much when using Kanthal.
For Nichrome this isn't unheard of though.
Did you try your atties on several different mods?
If everything is screwed in tight on the atties, there might be the possibility that the 510 connector pin on either mod and/or atty is simply too short, so that the RDA doesn't make good connection.
That's a quite common problem with Eleaf, Joyetech and Wismec mods for example.
The dead rabbit wasn't making a good connection I found but now when I screw it down tightly it consistently reads. .50 or. .51 ohms. Still working on the bonza, I think it needs bigger coils (thicker wire) to be able to secure the coil, otherwise it comes loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread