Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy!

Welcome to the new Redskymods thread.

Our website - RedSkyMods.com

As I begin my 4th year of production, it's also time to re-start our thread here on ECF.

I am pleased to be able to offer what I think are some of the finest exotic wood PV's and desk caddies available and also do my part in helping people kick the cigarette habit and offer an infinitely better alternative.

RSM mods are not for everyone, but, if you love exotic woods carefully crafted into exquisite hand held mods, beautiful both inside and out, then they may be for you. Read on!

I offer the finest PV's that will last for years of use and do that by ensuring you purchase not only a gorgeous mod, but a safe and reliable mod as well.

Our PV models are under constant evolution and incorporate the best that the e-cig world has to offer. I do not, however, instantly jump on the latest fad or feature until it has proven itself on the market and is a fitting match for RSM mods.

Every month or so I release our latest creations for sale on our website. The loyal crew here on the ECF thread get a heads up on our daily activities and usually get the first pick of newly released mods.

I have also offered desk caddies for the last couple years and also try to adapt to the changing market and offer stands and holders that compliment your PV collection and are as beautiful as they are functional.

Enough! Let's take a look!

(Click on any thumbnail picture for a larger view)

RSM currently offers 4 models to fit most needs.

Cruiser; 3.7 volt, 6 ml bottom feeder. Single 18650 battery.

Marauder; 3.7 volt, 23.5 mm inset tank mod. Single 18650 battery.

Cutlass; Variable watt using the DNA20 regulator, 6 amps, 6 ml bottom feeder. OLED display. Single 18650 battery.

Destroyer; Variable watt using the DNA20 regulator, 6 amps, 23mm inset tank mod, OLED display. Single 18650 battery.

For desk caddies, we basically offer small, medium and large holders of various styles.

Here are thumbnails of just a few of the many desk caddies offered - Website-Desk Caddies

Small Medium Large

See what other people think of RSM mods. Here is a link to our new website PV review page. Hopefully more people will find time to give us a review!

Website - PV Reviews

Always remember to not over-tighted your atomizer or tank. Tighten just enough to feel resistance and maybe a bit more. This will prevent premature failure of your atomizer connector seal and save you the cost of a repair.

Last edited:

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
Received the Cruiser today. I must say it is every bit as nice as everyone has said. A little bit of cutting on the bottle tube and it is working great. Well here is a pic of the new Cruiser.

IMG_20150612_143705865.jpg

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ok. Here are some pics of the mods waiting to be assembled.

Four Cutlass's waiting for a DNA40 to be installed. Numbered from left to right is CT#1, CT#3, CT#8, CT#9

#1 is Redheart with a Ebony layer, DNA40 small screen, TAKEN
#3 is African mahogany with a Bloodwood layer, DNA40 small screen, $265
#8 is African mahogany with Redheart panels, DNA40 large screen, TAKEN
#9 is African mahogany with Cocobolo panels, DNA40 large screen, $275

Next up are three Cutlass's that will get the clone 30 watt regulators. CT#2, CT#5, CT#6

#2 is Black walnut with Cocobolo panels, CNA30 small screen, $245
#5 is African mahogany with Cocobolo panels, CNA30 small screen, $245
#6 is Padauk with Bocote panels, CNA30 small screen, $249

One Destroyer getting a DNA20 board to replace the DNA40 I broke!

DE#3 Ziricote with B&W ebony panels, TAKEN

Two Destroyers getting the CNA30 small screen.

DE#4 is Curly tiger maple with Marblewood panels, $239
DE#5 is Zebrawood with East Indian Rosewood panels, $245

Not everyone needS 40 watts, so I am using up the 30 watt regulators I have on hand on some of the mods. They will also be cheaper than the DNA40 mods.

If you want to call "dibs" on one of these, please shoot me a PM or E-mail. Also let me know if you want a flush catch cup or not.

If nobody is interested in the Destroyer with a DNA20, I will probably put it aside and put in a different regulator down the road.

On a final note. I finished one other Cutlass with the DNA40 and I am taking it for myself! While testing mods that have sold I found that I could finally reach my 'sweet spot' using the DNA40 board, and that spot happens to be about 6.3 to 6.5 watts! That's about 3.4 volts and it tastes great to me, yar!

Well, hope I didn't forget anything, arrr

Last edited:

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
Well, the end of the day here. I sure wish I could beat the habit of getting to bed at 5 am, but I've been doing it for years and can't seem to roll back the hours for more than a few days.

I tore out some of the cabinets and molding and it looks like I will have to layer another ceiling onto the old one. I think it's possible it's asbestos acoustic tile and I don't want to disturb it more than I have to, I will simply cover it up. Then I have to build a new false wall for the electrical wires I exposed today and then think about what to do about the ancient cabinets I'm tearing out.

40+ years of miscellaneous skills are coming in handy again.

Anyone wanna come help? Bring your own hazmat suit! Such fun...

Have a great weekend all, arrrr

Cappy, Living in a house that was built in 1900 myself, I can certainly feel your pain. Miscellaneous skills come in all too handy. What started out like this...

Lkq8UrJ.jpg

KkjPY2q.jpg

Turned into something like this...(in trying to keep things somewhat period to the building)

6lrp9R8.jpg

KMCmyCW.jpg

The satisfaction comes in, in knowing you are able to do all the work yourself...;)

Last edited:

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy! Dead but not forgotten!

I've actually been working, just kinda enjoying the quiet for a while. Summers are always slow anyways ...

I've taken my time to figure out how to build the Cruiser Mark 3, lots of little details that needed to be addressed.

I went with the standard 3034 Mosfet so I could provide high amps using a low amp pushbutton.

I decided to use 16 guage wire and install a 25 amp fuse. It should easily handle the amps until the fuse blows. I believe that the Mosfet should also be limited to about 25 amps as well, just to be safe.

It was a bugger to get it all inside and leave room for the bottle without increasing the size of the mods, but it came out ok.

Take a look ...

I have a few that are almost done. When they are ready I will post them on the website and post pictures here as well.

The build is pretty slow, so I am not going to try to finish them all at once. In some ways, these are harder to build than the DNA mods.

Here is the reverse side of it;

I decided to use the DNA push buttons cause they are so COOL! I also rounded the sides, left a flat top and shaved all the catch cups flush. I cannot put in pistol grips as the wood isn't thick enough.

And... that's what I've been doing.

Arrrrr

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I remember back in the good ol' days, when I posted pics of new mods the thread would be full of people taking a look. Now, it's you and me, heh.

Well, kinda makes sense. I used to make new batches every 6 to 10 weeks. Now, even though they are better and prettier than ever, it's every 4 to 6 months and with all the new stuff that continues to flood the market I'm starting to feel like the little old man in his shop selling hand made pots and pans while he gazes over at the brand new shopping center next door.

We must fight the evil of mass production! ARRRRR, all hands man your guns

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I hope you have smooth sailing for years to come with her.

Here are some pics for the thread I wasn't able to post before I shipped off some finished mods;

Get a load of this Cutlass 5.1 from 2011 that came in for a new engine. Isn't she a beauty? She's been shipped back home where I hope it lasts for another 4 years!

Here are the two finished 26650 destroyers before they were boxed up;

And also the Cutlass40, Black walnut with B&W ebony

And here is a picture of a Scallywag that I had in the box and forgot about. 3.7V mods are much easier to build than regulated mods so I figured I'd finish it up and get it on the website.

Curly tiger maple with a Black walnut layer.

Isn't it cute?

Ok, I'm gonna quit for the night, feeling pretty beat after a long day in the shop followed by a few hours of yard work with a chain saw. Later all, arrr

Lindamck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Bedford, TX, USA
Per your request, here's a pic of my caddy. Notice there are no driptips on the front row. My rescue dog that I'm fostering decided to take off with one of them and it hasn't been found. He might have eaten it! Sadly it was a segmented wood tip that I had specially made. I hope it shows up but until this dog goes to his new home, no more tips will go on the caddy.

image.jpg

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Ahoy and happy Monday!

Ok, caught up on everything RSM, gonna go back to working on the house.

I need to hurry up though, I should be working on at least a batch of cruisers by now.

I get lots of spam mail from the overseas manufacturers ever since I ordered that lot of A7 atties a few years ago, but the one I got today made my nose bleed.

Take a look;

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/wholesale-1-1-clone-e-cig_60278035679.html

I mean, c'mon, what's left to clone? Are there going to be any US manufacturers of anything e-cig related in another year or two?

I was quoted a price of $20 per unit ..... yeah... how can you compete with that?

The moment I see a regulated bottom feeder hit the market from overseas, I'm gonna start updating my resume ...... arrrr

I may be poor, but It was fun while it lasted. We'll see I guess.

Have a fine damn week all, har!
Can't like that post, Cappy. Brings a whole new meaning to "Arrr!" Here's the thing, though. Many of us value handmade in the USA by modders we trust and who stand by their work. Many of us would rather have a few beautiful BF's than a lot of mediocre stuff. And we feel strongly about supporting local craftspeople. So please, make more.

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy, happy Thursday!

Just sitting outside, 68 degrees, watching the sun rise while sending plumes of vapor slowly curling up into the still sky ... ahhhh..... Florida is a looong way from where this Anchorage boy grew up.

Did I hear you northerners were getting more snow? :D

Anyway, here are some pics of two mods that have had dibs called on them and will be heading out soon.

Wenge body, Machiche end caps, blue box elder burl side panels (click on thumbnails for larger pics).

Gabon ebony body, Rengas tiger end caps, Black & white ebony side panels.

Have a fine day all, arrr

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy all, happy Tuesday!

Here are pics of the latest mod I finished. It just needs a touch up and it can start making it's way to it's new owner.

Cutlass40 in Bloodwood

I'll work on a updated picture of the rest of the batch and post a new one in a bit.

arrr

damselle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2012
New England
So, the deliveries have arrived!. First of all, the mill down on the mini is such perfection, that I'm wondering if it's a mill down at all, or if you replaced it?

Now. Destroyer40? I just keep taking it up and holding it in awe. Seriously. It is so handsome. The panels fit so perfectly with the body in every way. Even the knot of the Ziricote, that it looks like one peice. The seams are seamless. And it feels so nice in the hand. It's my new fav. Thank you so much Cappy.

These will both be coming to Ireland with me next year.

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
Beautiful work Distorto! I really like the look of older stuff using todays tech. I too love getting my hands dirty and doing what ever needs to be done myself. The way I look at it, If I screw up then I call the expert in. I've learned so much from that.
When we moved from NYC to Florida 4 years ago we purchased a home that was only 7 years old. The problem was that the previous owners knew they were losing the house years earlier and let it run down.

I spent 4 months tearing apart what needed to be and bringing it up to the wife's approval. 14 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week but the end results were well worth it! The personel satisfaction that I did 95% of the work made it even better. The best part was the outside. We have 18 palm trees and numerous hibiscus bushes and of course grass. What the hell did I know. I was born and rasied in Brooklyn, we only had concrete!! :lol:
You learn fast!!

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Can't like that post, Cappy. Brings a whole new meaning to "Arrr!" Here's the thing, though. Many of us value handmade in the USA by modders we trust and who stand by their work. Many of us would rather have a few beautiful BF's than a lot of mediocre stuff. And we feel strongly about supporting local craftspeople. So please, make more.

Thanks fer the vote of confidence!

I'm putting together the next batch right now. It will be mostly Cruiser/Marauder mods, but, there have been some feelings that were expressed about the last couple batches of Cruisers, that they were pretty 'plain', so I am going to bring them to the next level this batch.

I'm not sure how many I will make, but you are going to be hard pressed to find any "common" wood in them, I may even try my hand at making them out of at least 3 exotic wood types. Body, end caps and side panels all different woods. I'm talking various ebonies, various rosewoods, yaya, wenge, purpleheart, bloodwood, zebra, ziricote, bocote, snakewood, koa, ironwood and others. I think I even have a bit of the stabilized burl somewhere.

Yup, I have lots of wood laying around that has just been waiting for me to use it up, and I'm going to!

I've been using the less expensive stuff to keep the prices of Cruisers down, but not this time.

It may deplete my wood badly when it comes to the following batch of regulated mods, but I think it's time to give the 3.7v mods some love.

I think the house is going to turn into a long project, so I will do things as I have time and just keep on trucking.

I have no idea how I shall keep the thread alive during the next few months of production, but I will be here below decks if anyone needs me. Yo ho!

Cappy

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Kinda sorta. All the relatives around here are 30+ years old, no kids of any sort, so things are pretty mellow even at this time of year.

Nobody ever shows up at our door for trick or treating so I didn't even bother to buy candy this year. Our neighborhood has gotten a bit iffy over the years.

--------------------

I finished a half dozen mods a while ago, I suppose I really should start letting people see them before everyone thinks I quit!

Here is the rack with all the mods. They are either 25 amp Cruises or Marauders (non-regulated).

This is what the insides look like. Note that the fuse is accessible but is soldered in. Did I post some of these before? CRS ..

The inside of a Marauder.

Here are the five Cruisers and one Marauder that are finished. The first one on the top left is the prototype and is destined for a giveaway at some point.

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
These two are now up on the website.

CR15-11 - East Indian rosewood body, Yucatan rosewood end caps, Black walnut side panels.

Again, click thumbnails for bigger pics...

CR15-16 - Wenge body, Yaya end caps, Spalted American elm side panels.

That's it for now, more to come in the following days/weeks as parts arrive and I finish up more of the batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread