Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I asked a high school senior just last night about vaping at her school and she said she knew no one that did and everyone thought that it was a dumb thing to do.

I have a senior and a freshman in high school. From what they tell me, "juuling" is very popular and indeed kids attempt to stealth vape in class.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sometimes I think in school uniforms the tag should read "Property of the US government" or something. Cuz teens sure get batted around on every "sin" issue. Now that their all armed with rocks (due to the school shooting I think, and I must state, again, how hilarious it is that teachers and students are now hoarding rocks for their intended purpose, to throw and disarm someone, but if someone picked up a stick and called it a gun in 2nd grade, they'd get expelled).

But since our teens are getting more "motivated" so to speak, I kind of think we should ship them, their juuls and their rocks over to Glantz's location, and they can "speak" to him about their "vaping concerns." Etc.

Yes, vaping is safer than starting smoking, but you'll never hear it in a teen's case. In a teen's hands, the juul is the devils tool but if they're smoking, it's largely ignored (as well as any drops in smoking starting.)

Most of my kiddos same age friends vape, quite a few of them. Based on my kid, I have to say that quitting vaping has got to be easier than quitting smoking. He did it with little complaint, and mostly said he just "ignored" his desire to vape, and hence, did not. I think he had a week of annoyance or so, then it was largely over for him. He still occasionally vapes 0 nic with his friends to have "something to do" but for the most part, nah.

Anna

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
All this fuss is massive massive free publicity for JUUL. I bet the product sells better and better week by week.

If I was JUUL, and the Spotlight kept getting Brighter, I would be worried about retailers Jumping Ship for calmer waters.

matcas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Los Angeles Calif.
Sometimes I think in school uniforms the tag should read "Property of the US government" or something. Cuz teens sure get batted around on every "sin" issue. Now that their all armed with rocks (due to the school shooting I think, and I must state, again, how hilarious it is that teachers and students are now hoarding rocks for their intended purpose, to throw and disarm someone, but if someone picked up a stick and called it a gun in 2nd grade, they'd get expelled).

But since our teens are getting more "motivated" so to speak, I kind of think we should ship them, their juuls and their rocks over to Glantz's location, and they can "speak" to him about their "vaping concerns." Etc.

Yes, vaping is safer than starting smoking, but you'll never hear it in a teen's case. In a teen's hands, the juul is the devils tool but if they're smoking, it's largely ignored (as well as any drops in smoking starting.)

Most of my kiddos same age friends vape, quite a few of them. Based on my kid, I have to say that quitting vaping has got to be easier than quitting smoking. He did it with little complaint, and mostly said he just "ignored" his desire to vape, and hence, did not. I think he had a week of annoyance or so, then it was largely over for him. He still occasionally vapes 0 nic with his friends to have "something to do" but for the most part, nah.

Anna
The fact that you find it hilarious that children are collecting rocks to hopefully save their lives is disturbing. No child should have to go to school and fear for their lives. Plus the teens are smarter then us as adults have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

matcas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Los Angeles Calif.
The CNN take was actually pretty fair the second one with the kid at least the reporter acknowledged that they are a way to get adults off cigarettes. Most news stations just bash vaping. But the kids that are vaping would be smoking if there wasn’t vaping as an option, which is better but they still are going to get addicted to nicotine which I wish I never had.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If I was JUUL, and the Spotlight kept getting Brighter, I would be worried about retailers Jumping Ship for calmer waters.
Oh come on, pretty much every retailer that carries Juul also sells traditional cigarettes. If it makes them money, they'll keep selling it, for as long as they can.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yeah... Kinda like CVS.
I don't think CVS has ever sold Juul. IIRC, they stopped selling all "tobacco products" in 2014.

Is it possible other chains or independent stores might do the same? I suppose so. Heck there was supermarket in one town that I lived in when I was in high school in the 1970s that refused to sell cigarettes. My mom (a smoker) avoided shopping there at all.

But I just don't see the typical C-Store ditching Juul while continuing to sell cigarettes.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

But I just don't see the typical C-Store ditching Juul while continuing to sell cigarettes.

Dunno?

Retail Chains get tired of getting Hate Mail from PTA Members. And there is Always the Fear of being targeted by a FDA/TC age sting.

Don't know what type Margins there are for a JUUL? Or what type of Volume they command?

But if I was a Buyer for a Store Chain, I would consider just selling less High Profile e-Cigarettes. Because Nobody in the Media is say'n that there is a Wave Sweeping Schools of Kids NJOYing.

Last edited:

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
It wouldnt be if they finished that sentence. It should have read "on the increase but traditional tobacco use on the decline".
It's funny, because you hear people complain about reporters editorializing as part of their reporting. The story was on kids getting expelled for vaping. Has there been a decline in smoking? Yes. Smoking related fires? Undoubtedly. Accidental cigarette burns? I'd imagine. If you're an environmentalist, you might want them to include a word about how many trees are spared because of the decline in use of paper wrapping on cigarettes.

Or... they can simply report on the story in front of them. They shouldn't be activists for or against anything, just reporters. Now of course, CNN doesn't live up to this expectation, but in a world where FOX News is getting crazier right by the day, and MSNBC is as far left as they've ever been, CNN is about the only place to go for folks who want to hear both sides. Which is why I like Smerconish. He's about as down the middle as you're going to find.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Don't know what type Margins there are for a JUUL? Or what type of Volume they command?
I have no idea what the retail markup is on Juul pods, no. But I understand that Juul now has over 50% market share in the "e-cig" market (which doesn't include the stuff most of us use). I've also heard their sales were somewhere around half a billion dollars last year....

But if I was a Buyer for a Store Chain, I would consider just selling less High Profile e-Cigarettes. Because Nobody in the Media is say'n that there is a Wave Sweeping Schools of Kids IJOYing.
I think that would be a good way to lose a more business than you think. Someone who wants Juul pods is going to find a place that sells them; they won't settle for some other product. And then you'll also lose the soda or coffee or whatever they might have bought while they were in your store buying more pods on a regular basis, just like the smokers buy their cigs.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The fact that you find it hilarious that children are collecting rocks to hopefully save their lives is disturbing

Perhaps I put this inaccurately. It's not the fact that kids are collecting rocks I find hilarious, per se. I actually think there should be armed guards. I find irony in the fact, juxtaposed WITH the fact that if a kid picked up a stick in second grade would get expelled for picking up a stick and using it imaginatively. I don't necessarily see the rocks as a bad idea, but I do think armed guards would be more useful. Probably.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread