Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have no idea what the retail markup is on juul pods, no. But I understand that juul now has over 50% market share in the "e-cig" market (which doesn't include the stuff most of us use). I've also heard their sales were somewhere around half a billion dollars last year....

I think that would be a good way to lose a more business than you think. Someone who wants juul pods is going to find a place that sells them; they won't settle for some other product. And then you'll also lose the soda or coffee or whatever they might have bought while they were in your store buying more pods on a regular basis, just like the smokers buy their cigs.

Most of the Market Share percentages I have seen are Extrapolated from to C-Store/Retail Chain sales. So they are Very Skewed because Internet and many Vape Shops sales are not included.

But even so, I wasn't aware that JUUL had achieved such a High Amount of Volume in the reporting sectors.

---

I think you Nailed it right here... "Someone who wants Juul pods is going to find a place that sells them..."

But that is Also the Dead End when it comes to C-Stores/General B&M Retailers. Because you might buy your 1st Juul (or whatever) from a Gas Station or Drug Store or C-Store. But Most people will Quickly move to Online buying of Pods to get a Better Price.

And if you Don't need Pods, Most people aren't going to Drive to a farther C-Store that does carry JUUL Pods if they just want a 6-Pack and a Stick of Beef Jerky.

So Yeah... You might see a Small drop in some per purchase sales at some times. But Overall, it might not be all that large.

matcas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Los Angeles Calif.
I don't understand why kids would get addicted if they go vaping or even cloud chasing with nicotine free liquids with flavors like strawberry, vanille, honey, chocolate, a.o.
The Jull and other pod devices which are very popular with the kids because they are stealthy have 30 mg up to 50 mg nicotine.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Kids likely would not get addicted to 0 nic vaping. That isn't what they're doing. Honestly, if there was ever a device to make a new user giddy, excited, and feeling an "effect" well the Juul would do it, not to mention probably being the most addictive (due to dosage) vape product you could get your hands on easily. Unfortunately. I agree that nic addiction (and there are mixed thoughts on that) can be a very subtle thing.

But, if I were naiive to "caffeine" and wanting an effect, I'd probably be more likely to get one from a double shot of espresso versus an 8 oz cup of coffee. That's what the kids are doing, they know they are doing it, and etc.

My question is: why does the world care? They're at least choosing a Juul over smoking, I sure wish I'd been born into a life where a "Juul" was my option for acting out, etc. I imagine it's an easier addiction to quit, compared to smoking.

But if we compare vaping to smoking, everything falls apart, so you can be quite sure that the relevant authorities will NEVER mention it and get their aides to shove their fingers in the ears of our representatives while going, "Nah nah nah" if anyone DOES mention it. It will be roundly ignored. Etc.

Anna

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Nic addiction is made out to sound like ...... addiction, not the same thing. Your kids arent addicted to nic. There addicted to trying to fit in. It is a known fact that nic is about as addictive as caffeine. Why arent energy drinks, energy shots and caffeine pills illegal?
These articles are so skewed its ridiculous. The question "do you vape" isnt the way its ask. If you took one puff off your friends vape nine months ago is counted the same as if you went through 30ml's a day. The question "do you use nic in your juice" isnt ask.
The statement "we need to save the kids" is BS. These people dont give two s..... about your kids. Its all money. Think, ten years ago were these people in the news going "we need to stop kids from smoking?"
Heck no.
This country was doing fine until the goverment stepped in and decided to tell you how your kids should be raised. Take that responsibility back and "parent".
Can you tell I just read one of those stories? Sorry, they just make me so mad the way they twist things to fit there agenda

matcas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Los Angeles Calif.
Nic addiction is made out to sound like ...... addiction, not the same thing. Your kids arent addicted to nic. There addicted to trying to fit in. It is a known fact that nic is about as addictive as caffeine. Why arent energy drinks, energy shots and caffeine pills illegal?
These articles are so skewed its ridiculous. The question "do you vape" isnt the way its ask. If you took one puff off your friends vape nine months ago is counted the same as if you went through 30ml's a day. The question "do you use nic in your juice" isnt ask.
The statement "we need to save the kids" is BS. These people dont give two s..... about your kids. Its all money. Think, ten years ago were these people in the news going "we need to stop kids from smoking?"
Heck no.
This country was doing fine until the goverment stepped in and decided to tell you how your kids should be raised. Take that responsibility back and "parent".
Can you tell I just read one of those stories? Sorry, they just make me so mad the way they twist things to fit there agenda
Nicotine is more addictive then caffeine. I agree the articles are totally skewed very few in favor of vapors but if the kids were doing zero nic great but they aren’t and they will face the same lifelong challenges we ex smokers face. We need nicotine.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Eau Claire school officials cracking down on 'Juuling'

... It’s a relatively recent thing that scientists have looked at how addictive nicotine is without the supercharged delivery of inhaled smoke.

Much of that research came after the introduction of nicotine replacement therapies (NRT) like the nicotine patch and gum, and later vaping. In fact, that research led the FDA to conclude that over-the-counter (OTC) nicotine products are probably not addictive at all. The agency notes on its website, “although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.”

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
“although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.”
I'm sure they'll say the same thing when they approve some BP "ENDS" as OTC smoking cessation products, right around the time their regulations kill off the current free market in vapes.

Yes, I'm cynical.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
If/when more teens use JUUL, even fewer teens will smoke cigarettes.

The first moral panic against teen vaping (from 2013-2015) was created
by Obama's CDC and FDA (in collusion with anti vapers) when CDC funded
many large city health departments (i.e. NY City, Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angeles,
San Francisco, Baltimore, etc) to lobby their mayors and city councils to ban
vaping in workplaces, which is what prompted many naturally rebellious adolescents
to try vaping. The increase in teen vaping occurred shortly after.

By telling teens to NOT use JUUL, anti vaping activists, public health officials, school
officials, left wing Democrats and the mostly left wing news media are just encouraging
more teens to try JUUL (so they can again blame JUUL if/when teen use actually increases).

The data from Wall St. analysts indicate that JUUL has stolen most of its customers
from Altria, Reynolds and Imperial cigarette brands.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Nicotine is more addictive then caffeine. I agree the articles are totally skewed very few in favor of vapors but if the kids were doing zero nic great but they aren’t and they will face the same lifelong challenges we ex smokers face. We need nicotine.
I strongly disagree. The nic in cigs are the least addictive ingredient.If you can give up caffeine you can give up just nic. Ask the ones who have quit smoking and then quit vaping. Most will tell you giving up nic wasn't the problem, the hand to mouth action is.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
A hand to mouth habit can be pretty hard to break. I chewed nic gum for six months once, and I'm pretty sure I was getting "enough" nicotine. Despite knitting feverishly the entire time, I eventually relapsed. That tells me a) nicotine is not enough and b) doing things with you hands without inhalation can be a pain.

I TOTALLY 100% agree that many of the alkaloids and even tar itself (which has been shown in at least one NIH study to also contain MAOI-B substances) that nicotine itself is not a "addictive" as tobacco as a whole. My horrific detox certainly proved it to my satisfaction (and I was using WTA even).

The interesting thing about vaping is that once one goes through detox, nicotine DOES seem to be "enough." Nicotine PLUS hand to mouth is eventually satisfying "enough" to get through detox and (for most people unless dealing with an underlying problem that alkaloids may have been "treating" like depression or anxiety) return to homeostasis, it is enough to "maintain" quitting behavior (for me at least) and that is the magic of e-cigs.

There may well wind up a certain number of teens who "feel" dependent on nicotine, but when the world is telling you it's an evil, repulsive, addictive substance, I am not surprised. They've probably never given up coffee, either (doable but unpleasant) and may not have the ability to understand that many of them would really undergo, say a week of some minimal discomfort (although many "Juuling teens are not even *considering* giving it up at present.

It would be nice if the world stopped stating "nicotine" is the most addictive substance known to man. Tobacco MAY well be, but the fact is, what with the alkaloids, the additives.... I wonder how many smokers will actually be inconvenienced "that much" by less nic in their cigs, and if they are, well, they become dual users of closed pods or whatever the FDA has waiting for us down the line. I could see them being "nic fueled" most of the day via vaping, and smoking on top of it.

Really great way to ensure the taxes keep rolling in, forever, and double, and etc. I almost want to call it Machiavellian, but it's too soon to say. :(

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: marianna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's against the law for teens to vape. End of discussion.
Is it? I understand it's illegal to sell vape goods to minors. But is it actually illegal for them to possess and use them? My understanding is that In most jurisdictions, it's not.

Oh, an then there's the small point that there are a full two years between someone's 18th birthday, when they are no longer a minor and can legally buy any tobacco product they wish in most jurisdictions, and when they're no longer a "teen".

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is actually illegal for teens to vape, at least in some places. Around here, the word on the street is the cops may stop you, but it's sort of hard to prosecute and it winds up being a mess in the parent's lap. But it is most certainly illegal to possess vape equipment if a minor (in my state, anyway, as best I know).

It usually winds up being a juvenile fine and the parents get a heavy pounding as well. Like, my son had possession of some alcohol which (thankfully) did not come from me, and got caught. We got fines, a "juvenile" "possession of alcohol with open container" charges, and the "opportunity" to sit through "teen court" which I actually detested, as I had to also attend several "events" including a 6 hour class on juvenile law led by a "motivational" speaker, who appeared to have birth defects similar to being a thalidomide baby. He was a cheery soul, but I'm afraid I wound up calling him "Gollum" by the end, but mostly because I thought it was really gross to lean over and pick up stacks of informational "materials" with his mouth and hand them out that way.

I'll admit, I was pretty morose about the whole thing, as in my generation, well, parents would've called each other and consequences applied. I also left "teen court" with the impression, "Man, teens can't do ANYTHING wrong around here."

THANK GOD, my son got all that out of his system early. I knew it was the courts that were going to knock him into shape, eventually, but that does not mean I enjoyed the process and etc.

So yes, AFAIK, it is illegal for teens to possess vape equipment, etc. The parents usually get penalized the most. I just looked at my kid's "experiments" with a measure of humor, terror, but also PENANCE (including financially) all the grief I gave my parents until sobriety. LOL.

The Juul's a good stealth vape though. Hard to get unless you leave yours in your locker, which, I forget the news article, instead of an arrest, the "caring' principal provided him with nicotine gum and whatnot, while going on about the "horrors" of vaping cuz the kid said "He couldn't stop."

As if that is not the defense of every teen, when caught doing something they couldn't. My son's particular defense tended to be "I don't remember/someone spiked my whatever, whatever." Uh huh. I must have had the unluckiest kid in existence, he was always being roofied, LOL, my kid's HOT, but even as a doting mommy, I was fairly sure he was not being constantly roofied.

Anna

• Winner
Reactions: Chuck64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread