CNN: "Social Smokers aren't hooked on nic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the word "addict" has been overused and that is why they are having such difficulty understanding this. An "addict" is someone who feels compelled to continue using a substance in spite of the harm they are doing to themselves. You aren't considered an "alcoholic", for example, until your drinking has done harm to you or someone else. Apathy has substituted for actual evidence that occasional smoking is a significant contributor to disease, so all nicotine users have been lumped into the "addict" category.

Technically, if you can't show that any harm is being done, you can't really be called an addict.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Technically, if you can't show that any harm is being done, you can't really be called an addict.
Plenty of harm was being done to my wallet. In New York City cigarettes are over $10 a pack and I was a chain smoker.

I think what they are calling a "social smoker" is exactly the type of person vaping works best for. They're the people whose attachment to what I call the mechanics of smoking is greater than their nicotine addition. Holding a cigarette, playing with it, lighting it, the repeated hand-to-mouth action and inhaling are much, much harder for me to give up than the nicotine. I'm already vaping about half as much nicotine as I was a few weeks ago, but I can't imagine not having the PV to play with. And, as far as I know, vaping is the only alternative to analogs that replicates that part of the addiction as well as supplying nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread