CNN to discuss E-cigs in the next hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritalee76

ECF Veteran
Thanks for the video link :)

What I found funny about it is that he was talking about side effects such as increased heart rate and upset stomach but there are many different approved drugs that have the worst side effects. I mean, how many of those commercials have you seen that say, "May cause upset stomach, nausea, skin irritations, lack of erections, internal bleeding and in some rare cases death."?

I mean, really!

I've been doing the ostrich thing with this whole FDA thing until yesterday so I'm a little behind when it comes to all of this. I understand that safety and health are a major concern but considering that cigarettes are approved nicotine delivery systems without having to pass any medical tests, it seems like e-cigarettes would be fine.

What's next? A ban on ginseng? According to wikipedia:

"According to a Sports Nutrition FAQ published by UMass Amherst, one of P. ginseng's most common side-effects is the inability to sleep.[15] However, other sources state that ginseng causes no sleep difficulties.[16] Other side-effects can include nausea, ........, euphoria, headaches, epistaxis[17], high blood pressure, low blood pressure, and mastalgia.[18]"

I don't know. It seems a little ridiculous to me. Plus, I think I'm PMSing and that doesn't help.

Rita

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
I thought the overall conversation was reasonably positive. Basically saying what most of us say - "It's got to be healthier than cigarettes, simply because of the tar, and chemicals associated with cigarettes." Nothing about it being Healthy, just better than the alternative. He also seemed to be speaking on it as a good alternative for those that are trying to quit. He did not call it a cessation device.

The one thing that bothered me was that he said nicotine has never been delivered as an inhalant, but I thought they had those nasal inhalers.

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
Yes, nicotine inhalers have been available by prescription in the US since 1998.
I tried them. Found them to be just another ineffective cessation device.

FDA approval of particular nic inhalers should not be confused with FDA approval for any other types of devices. ie. e-cigs.... 2 very different delivery systems.

taukimada

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Tullahoma, Tn
www.youtube.com
i had posted the vid in a thread i started at almost the exact same time as this one... :)

either way... the overall content of both the story and the video was actually rather positive... in the story itself you see an admittance by the FDA and WHO that other than the testing factor.. ecigs COULD be helpful.. it's not going to get ANY more positive than that until the tests are done conclusively for them..

i like gupta... always have.. he's a realist.. doesn't usually go for the hype that cnn seem to have turned too lately.. he was openly honest in his opinion that the ecig MAY be more healthy than analogs.. but he wasn't going to jump the gun without testing and say they ARE.. i even liked the fact that the correspondant seemd VERY receptive to ecigs.. even though she is a "never-smoker"..

it's easy to pick at the things that weren't said... but sadly.. this is the best we're going to get until companies step up to the plate and put some of the well earned cash we've sent them and get these tests done and into the proper hands.. it's in thier hands now...

again.. overall positive story... for once recently i can say "kudos" to cnn for not putting this story with the anchors who overreact to stories and place their own false opinionated claims and accusations into the "news"

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I didn't like it although it could have been worse. You would think an M.D. would be better informed. Maybe that's why he is on TV. He kept saying it produces "smoke" which will scare all the non-smokers instead of correctly stating that it produces water vapor. No outline of what is in the vapor other than nicotine and no clear cut comparisons to what the advantages are over analogs. If the general public bases all of their information gathering on TV news, I guess it's not a far stretch to imagine that some day we will see Daffy Duck elected President.

taukimada

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Tullahoma, Tn
www.youtube.com
I didn't like it although it could have been worse. You would think an M.D. would be better informed. Maybe that's why he is on TV. He kept saying it produces "smoke" which will scare all the non-smokers instead of correctly stating that it produces water vapor. No outline of what is in the vapor other than nicotine and no clear cut comparisons to what the advantages are over analogs. If the general public bases all of their information gathering on TV news, I guess it's not a far stretch to imagine that some day we will see Daffy Duck elected President.

where the problem occurs is the media tends to see something and just call out the standard "run with the story".. dr gupta admitted that he knew little about ecigs.. i read into it that he seemed actually interested in the concept.. the lack of knowledge blame is firmly placed on cnn..

as far as the daffy duck in office?.... i believe the law states he couldn't run for a 3rd term and that's why he's back in Texas :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread