Coalition For Fire Safe Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Per htchhikr's posting above, it has been my suspician that the Coalition for Fire Safe Cigarettes is funded by cigarette companies. Although the largest cigarette companies vigorously opposed fire safe cigarettes from 1980's until about 2005 (after NY and several other states law mandating fire safe cigarette laws), Philip Morris and Reynolds have become the fire safe cigarette advocates and have been largely responsible for 49 states now enacting these laws. Basically, PM and Reynolds want to ensure that all state laws enact the same law for fire safe cigarettes (so the companies don't have to worry about manufacturing and marketing different types of cigarettes for different states).

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
Well thanks to Florida making cig's required to be firesafe, my next door neighbor is looking at getting a pv since they make him sick. And he's not the first one I've encountered with that problem that I've handed cards out to.
Really, if the stuff is making people sick how can that be a good thing. These people endorsing and pushing those things ( and not like they aren't bad enough to begin with- lets add more chemical's to them)all need a slap.

TheBoogieman

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
Brooklyn, New York
Fire safe cigarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the above:
In 1978 Andrew McGuire, a burn survivor, activist and winner of a 1985 MacArthur Fellowship for his work on the flammability of children's sleepwear, started a grassroots campaign to prevent house fire deaths by changing the cigarette.

McGuire published an update for the campaign. That spring, the National Fire Protection Association decided to fund the Fire Safe Cigarette Coalition to accelerate this grassroots movement.

Fire Safe Cigarettes :: Home - The Coalition for Fire Safe Cigarettes

The Coalition for Fire-Safe Cigarettes campaign is coordinated by NFPA
NFPA

Fire Safe Cigarettes :: About the Coalition

From the bottom of the page:
Supporters
Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation
tobacco Free Kids

Public misled over fire-safe cigarettes - 19 December 2002 - New Scientist

The Boogieman

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
If the FDA is so concerned about the health and safety of smokers that they want e-cigarettes to prove themselves with clinical trials, where are they on this issue? Why aren't they demanding that FSC be pulled from the market until clinical trials prove they are safe? If not FDA, someone should be. What about the Consumer Product Safety Commission?

BTW: Smokers should be contacting MedWatch with their health complaints about tobacco cigarettes. After all, FDA is in charge of tobacco now, righ?

Wafflestomper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
If the FDA is so concerned about the health and safety of smokers that they want e-cigarettes to prove themselves with clinical trials, where are they on this issue? Why aren't they demanding that FSC be pulled from the market until clinical trials prove they are safe? If not FDA, someone should be. What about the Consumer Product Safety Commission?

BTW: Smokers should be contacting MedWatch with their health complaints about tobacco cigarettes. After all, FDA is in charge of tobacco now, righ?

Maybe the firesafe chemical additives cause a new diagnosis that requires a new breakthrough drug to treat.

I'm from Montana originally... I'm a bit paranoid. :oops:

ChipCurtis

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Is it just me or does it seem that BT, BP and the anti-smoking groups are all in bed together at this point? It's getting hard to tell who's behind what!

I don't think there's one big giant, coordinated, conspiratorial machine going yet... however, the vested interests are aware of who their friends are at this point.

As we can see so far, there are considerable pockets of anti-smoking activists, BT lobbyists, Pharma lobbysits, and government agencies that have already started their smear campaign tactics (through the fake PRs, incomplete reporting on tests, Faux News, etc.), but their efforts are sometimes just as random and disorganized as many of the efforts in the vaping community are.

Not meaning to put down our efforts here... there have been great victories so far (CA, FDA vs SE/NJoy). But there have been victories on their side as well (VA, NJ).

The whole Hollywood angle taken by Blu (Grammies, etc.) seems to be a clever approach to the problem. Get celebs and most of Hollywood on your side, and you've got it made. No amount of nanny lawmaking can stand up to the power of the Hollywood machine when it comes to societal trends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread