Coffee Flavors = Burnt Taste. what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legosaurus

Verified Member
Mar 28, 2013
Knoxville, TN
I have tried dozens of coffee flavored juices. From MBV, Vapedudes, PinkSpot, evo, HHV, altcig, etc. All of the ones I have purchased have rave reviews. Most have been 50/50. All 6mg.

They all taste burnt. Why?
I have tried the juices with the following set-ups:

SVD - Protank with all 3 different heads.
Twist - evods
Vamo - Protank, ViviNova

Voltage/wattage from 3.5/5.0 to 4.4/7.5.

I have had success with SMV's coffee juices which are 70/30. 9mg. While I like these - I'm looking for different options and something even better.

Anyone else have this issue? What's the best delivery method for coffee juice?

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
Could be your taste buds. Some coffee juices are a little overpowering for me or taste a little burnt, so I dilute them some. I take a good caramel, vanilla or even tobacco juice and mix some in. I haven't found a straight coffee juice I liked yet but the Fox Mocha from ECBlend is the closest thing to what I want. I still put a little chocolate in that one though also, so it may be about mixing in some flavors. Have you tried mixing two of the coffees together? You'd be surprised how much that changes the chemical makeup and balance. I mixed two I didn't like together and it was good!

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
It very well could be your taste buds. You've definitely worked through the logic puzzle of elimination. Coffee is tricky because of the richness of the flavor. Done wrong it can be overpowering (i've tested a few that are now in the fail box).

I picked up a 5ml sample of Quick Nic Juice's Keoke Coffee. It's a coffee/kahlua flavor. I only dripped a little and tried 5 vapes or so. It had a really nice black coffee flavor with enough sweetness to cut it nicely. You may want to try theirs. They make some really fantastic NETs if you like those. Their french toast is excellent but not overly sweet. If you like really sweet juice then it's not for you.

QnJ has 4 pack samplers of 5ml for 11.99. Nice way to check them out and see if they are for you.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
May be your taste, does double strength espresso taste burnt? If so a lot of coffee juices will too. For me it's a muddy or rust like taste I pick up most in both real coffee and coffee juice, hard to find one that lacks that (can only drink two brands of coffee and, only one variety of each brand) Juice, haven't found one that isn't dirty tasting yet.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Sorry I'm no help either. But I did have the same experience with the ones I've tried...some from the vendors you've listed & they all had rave reviews as well. If you're like me it's not the vendor it's just not what you may like in your coffee vape. I let them steep & still got the same results. I dripped them, put em in tanks & carts & still no luck. I do however prefer a lot of cream & sugar in my actual coffee & I have yet to match what I like to drink. Coffee is so tricky & it's been the thorn in my side for months as far as vaping is concerned. I think I only have 2 that I like after trying at least a dozen or more. I have 2 others steeping. Fingers crossed!

Lombaowski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2013
DC via the 313
Sorry I'm no help either. But I did have the same experience with the ones I've tried...some from the vendors you've listed & they all had rave reviews as well. If you're like me it's not the vendor it's just not what you may like in your coffee vape. I let them steep & still got the same results. I dripped them, put em in tanks & carts & still no luck. I do however prefer a lot of cream & sugar in my actual coffee & I have yet to match what I like to drink. Coffee is so tricky & it's been the thorn in my side for months as far as vaping is concerned. I think I only have 2 that I like after trying at least a dozen or more. I have 2 others steeping. Fingers crossed!
This goes to my point. If you like coffee with lots of creme and sugar, add creme and sugar to your coffee flavors. I've found the chocolates work so so but the caramels and cremes work well and balance out the flavors.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
This goes to my point. If you like coffee with lots of creme and sugar, add creme and sugar to your coffee flavors. I've found the chocolates work so so but the caramels and cremes work well and balance out the flavors.

You're absolutely right. I've tried this with a couple of my coffee flavors by taking a small amount & placing it into another bottle. For the OP, if you decide to do this mix in the extras very sparingly to start & then taste. Just as I've found with DIY, a little goes a long way. Sometimes it worked & sometimes it didn't. It's kinda trial & error with coffee for me. The 2 that I said I really like in my first post are ones that are great without any tinkering.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Hmmm now that you guys mention it - I can barely get black coffee down. It tastes bitter and slightly burnt depending on the brand. I do need cream and sugar. I figured buying the cappuccino and flavored coffee juices (caramel coffee) ones wouldn't taste burnt though.

That's what I thought too! But for me they tasted burnt as well. Torture isn't it!

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
1st let me say I have had a hard time finding a good coffee as of yet although indigo vapor 5 buck is gatting great review and on my short list to try

But I haven't got a burnt taste then again I haven't tried the ones you mentioned

1st question I would ask myself is did it start off with a burnt taste or did it start after some vaping
If after then did I change voltage

did you start low voltage then go up or visa versa

did you start with a new head ?

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Hmmm now that you guys mention it - I can barely get black coffee down. It tastes bitter and slightly burnt depending on the brand. I do need cream and sugar. I figured buying the cappuccino and flavored coffee juices (caramel coffee) ones wouldn't taste burnt though.

Cappuccino tend's to be a bit bitter, if that's what you want try something with Caramel or Vanilla in it.
    That should sweeten it up a bit. Or you could just buy some sweetner and DYI

bryaninaustin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Coffee is my ADV most days! Of everything that I tried (and boy where there some nasty ones), I settled on Starbuckets Latte from Sweet-Vapes. It is a a pretty thick juice and would gunk up my cartos/tanks quickly and start to taste charred and nasty. I had to change the out the carto more frequently than I did with other juices. The longer it steeped, the quicker it turned on me.

I recently switched from Sweet-Vapes to Ahlusion Cafe au Lait. The taste is spot on and I love it. It comes slightly creamy and you have the option to add sweetener. So far, I am not having the same issue with the off taste.
    Cafe Au LaitE-liquid - 3 ml, 10 ml, 30 ml and 60 ml

Next on my coffee short list is Java Smooth from HHV which also comes in a Mocha flavor.

Last edited:

Chimney34

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 1, 2012
    If I want coffee I use Liqua Tiramisu, but mix it with MBVs Whipped cream... comes out like tasty and sweet coffee(of course, if you don't like sweet you won't like it.)

Hummmm I'm making note of this! I love sweet & someone else told me to try that flavor from Liqua.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Clemson Tigers State

You can add French Vanilla to your coffee blends as well.

GoodNews!

Moved On
    Oct 25, 2013
    Vaping, USA
    I want to bring this thread back from the dead to say that before I buy any juice, I try it in the SHOP. In the shop, all of the coffee juices taste good, like a creamy cup of coffee. Delectable blends that remind you of creamed coffee with a little bit of Italian Esspresso mixed in. Nothing burned, or like charcoal. It's a very obvious difference. But when I take those juices home, and put them in any set-up, the same exact juices, they taste like someone had lit a dead animal on fire, just the most burnt, horrid taste you can imagine. Like burnt popcorn kernels that have been charred 3 times over. I've experienced this across tons of coffee brands that I sample before buying, and a local vendor explained to me that it may be a sign that our batteries are actually overvolting, or that we may be running into an extreme number of heads that are "burning" the juice.

I just know that with lighter flavors, I don't get the burning, but my same set-ups seem to "mute" all the light flavors like crazy. Something is very, very wrong with all of this, and this many users shouldn't be reporting this across the vaping community. My theory? I agree with the vendor, and I believe a lot of our batteries are overvolting and that we just don't know it because the lighter juice can handle it really well, or that there's a lot of funky shorts that can happen, or we're running across a lot of bad heads. I've sampled a lot of coffee juices in my life, and they're never like this in the store themselves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread