Coil building kayfun/russian Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andigaut

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi, I'm fairly new to building coils. I have a provari 2 with a kayfun. I've watched tons of videos on coil building and every now and then I make a coil that turns out good flavor but the majority of the time I end up making another coil because the flavor is no good. I'm using 28g kanthal. I've tried 6 and 8 wraps, lowering the coil to try to increase flavor but even though I'm using the same juice (good life vapor Spook Sauce) the flavor is just not as good as I know it can be. Oh, I'm using organic cotton off the wick. The coil I am using right now checks in at 1.3 ohms. Any advice?

Also, I recently got a russian 91... So far I'm hating it. All I get is error codes on the provari. OP, LO, E2, E8, etc. I'm almost 100% sure it's from the bottom screw post not hitting the post on my provari. So I unscrew it some which moves the whole set up on the deck and blah, blah, I can get it to fire a few times but then it stops working again...

Thanks in advance for advice!
Andi:)

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
There's a few thread on the Kayfun's that might help, this being one http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...3-kayfun-3-1-coil-build-you-say-its-easy.html
As for the 91, I don't own one, but I did get the center pin for one to make my lie+ an adjustable 510. Is yours a 2 piece positive pin or is it a single pin from 510 to build deck? If it's a single piece, your getting that problem most likely because the positive block on the deck is loose and moving when you screw it onto a MOD (could cause leaking also). If it's not leaking but loose..... ON A PROTECTED MOD ONLY!! You can take some cotton and slip it in-between the positive and negative blocks to help against the shorting. This is not the best fix, but I've done it till I got the new pin. If it's a 2 piece 510, a post to the deck and a screw to contact the 510, I've used a small o-ring to space it out yet keep it tight. I used the same o-ring as the one for the fill screw to do this.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
Your welcome :) You might try an o-ring between the 510 pin and the insulator that's normally inside the 510, might space it out a bit but still allow you to tighten it enough to keep it from shorting. It could even be that this insulator was damaged when they built it.... had an EHpro Kayfun like that, person who put it together over-tightened the 510 pin damaging the insulator. If that's damaged, you can get them here Kayfun Positive Post Insulators - 5 pack - Kidney Puncher

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
What do you wrap your coil on? The inner diameter can play a significant role in how it all works.

I have a set of precision screwdrivers laying around, and they work great. My first Kayfun build was 2mm, and it worked well. I've heard that true "microcoils" are 1/16 inch inner diameter or smaller, so I went down to 1.4mm, and I've liked the change. Not huge, but a bit warmer, more throat hit, both things I've enjoyed. I dare say the flavor improved a bit as well, but it was good to begin with. Compared to an EVOD BCC, anyway. I've been using 28 gauge kanthal and cotton as well.

I've also found that lung inhales, nose exhales bring out the most flavor. Definitely a tight draw on the Kayfun, but it's worth it, for me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Using 28 ga Kanthal @ 1.3 - 1.5 ohm microcoils (2mm diameter). Try either Japanese cotton or rayon (cellucotton) instead of organic cotton, it actually wicks and allows better flavor. The difference is remarkable.

I've also been using ECF member crxess's cotton nest wick technique: Cotton Nest Build in a Kayfun

cottonnest1.jpg cotton nest.jpg

nynvolt

Aug 2, 2014
Placentia, CA, USA
The Russian can be a pita. Pull out the adjustable screw, tighten the center post screw while holding the center post block with pliers, keeping it straight. Add two extra tiny O rings to the adjustable screw and put it back in. This should help the center adjustable pin stay snug even when loosened and also helps isolate it so it won't loosen your positive block.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Using 28 ga Kanthal @ 1.3 - 1.5 ohm microcoils (2mm diameter). Try either Japanese cotton or rayon (cellucotton) instead of organic cotton, it actually wicks and allows better flavor. The difference is remarkable.

I've also been using ECF member crxess's cotton nest wick technique: Cotton Nest Build in a Kayfun

View attachment 370481 View attachment 370482

Check this out, everyone. The additional piece of wicking material makes a huge difference. At least, it has for me.

Over a year later and my KFL experience just went up another notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread