Coil builds to use at 70 watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingrex00

Dec 14, 2018
Hi I’ve been looking online but can’t seem to a build for building a coil to use at around 70 watts. I have 24 kanthel A1 wire and I’m using the geekvape Zeus dual rta. Currently my resistance for the coil is at .28 but I don’t think it’s best for vaping at high wattages, any suggestions would help as I started building yesterday, thanks.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
It's all based on individual taste and how warm you like your vape. For some, .2 at 70 Watts is fine.

How many wraps do you have on each coil? Taking a wrap off of each one will lower the resistance making higher wattage easier.

Why are you locked in at a 70W vape? Just curious

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Just as an FYI, you don't need to vape at 70 watts to have a great experience, i do it single coil at 31 watts and get plenty of clouds and flavor.

For the question though, i usually did a .2 to .25 build with kanthal a1 and used 70-80 watts ( dual coils ofc)
I do prefer stainless for lower builds though idk why.

Usually i stay at around 4.2 volts more or less on any build and that's how i stay satisfied.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Just as an FYI, you don't need to vape at 70 watts to have a great experience, i do it single coil at 31 watts and get plenty of clouds and flavor.

For the question though, i usually did a .2 to .25 build with kanthal a1 and used 70-80 watts ( dual coils ofc)
I do prefer stainless for lower builds though idk why.

Usually i stay at around 4.2 volts more or less on any build and that's how i stay satisfied.
If he's using a regulated mod the volts displayed really don't mean much. It might be a reference you use, but can over complicate things for someone newer.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Right now it’s 6 wraps, and I’ve been valuing at 70w with my horizontech falcon tank before starting the RTA, but right now at 40ish watts it’s not really as strong a hit for me.
You can do one of two things, go to 5 wraps, even 4 would work. I space my coils so even a 4 wrap can fill out a small to medium size deck. Play around with your builds until you get the resistance you seek.

Or the easier, right now fix would be to gradually increase the wattage until you get the vape that you like. What mod and batteries are you using?

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Forget about hitting a certain wattage. Built coils are different on different decks and run differently from drop in factory coils. Turn it up to where you like it. 7 wrap twisted 24 gauge I have run at 120 watts...
Currently using twisted 26, 28, and a flat wire dual coils at 62 watts. .28

• Agree
Reactions: VapourFlavour

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I build my favorite go to coils with 22ga kanthal. 7 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrel. Dual coil setup in my bravo rta gives anywhere from .19 to .24 ohms depending on the leg length. I hit this from 60 to 75 watts depending on the juice im using. The 22ga is kinda stiff but allows for less (none) deformation when i rewick yet produces nice thick flavorful clouds. Truly a nice experience in my opinion. But hey, thats just me

Kingrex00

Dec 14, 2018
I was looking for brand and model, but as long as they're legit, you don't have much to worry about with the device you're using. Are you getting a more satisfying vape any higher yet?

They are the lg hg2’s and yeah at 70w it’s better but the flavour is not at strong for some reason

Forget about hitting a certain wattage. Built coils are different on different decks and run differently from drop in factory coils. Turn it up to where you like it. 7 wrap twisted 24 gauge I have run at 120 watts...
Currently using twisted 26, 28, and a flat wire dual coils at 62 watts. .28

For 120 watts would that make the voltage higher than 5? The person at the store said you shouldn’t go above 5 volts

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
They are the lg hg2’s and yeah at 70w it’s better but the flavour is not at strong for some reason

For 120 watts would that make the voltage higher than 5? The person at the store said you shouldn’t go above 5 volts
Flavor on an rda is all about airflow and coil placement. Wicking plays a part too. The Zeus dual, although not the best, is good and should give you good flavor once you find the right build.

I'm vaping at 5.48 volts according to my screen right now. You also have good batteries.

Kingrex00

Dec 14, 2018
Flavor on an rda is all about airflow and coil placement. Wicking plays a part too. The Zeus dual, although not the best, is good and should give you good flavor once you find the right build.

I'm vaping at 5.48 volts according to my screen right now. You also have good batteries.

Thanks so I’ll just play around with the build and airflow and try to find the best flavour then, also do you have to prime the wick after the first time you do it? Or will it be good until the wick needs changing?

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Thanks so I’ll just play around with the build and airflow and try to find the best flavour then, also do you have to prime the wick after the first time you do it? Or will it be good until the wick needs changing?
I'm not sure if I understood the question, you should always soak the cotton after wicking the wire though if that's what you meant. It's especially important for the cotton in the coil to be primed, otherwise you'll burn the cotton.

Good luck!

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I meant is it necessary to prime it after using it for a few days or if it would just be good until I need to change the wick?
Oh sorry, no. I have rta's that sit for a week and I pick up and use. The cotton retains the moisture. Any longer and I'd prime it.
During regular use, no need to prime until you change the cotton.

Kingrex00

Dec 14, 2018
Oh sorry, no. I have rta's that sit for a week and I pick up and use. The cotton retains the moisture. Any longer and I'd prime it.
During regular use, no need to prime until you change the cotton.

Okay yeah that’s what I wasn’t sure of, thanks a lot for your help! I appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread