The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Coil builds to use at 70 watts?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Kingrex00, Dec 17, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Hi I’ve been looking online but can’t seem to a build for building a coil to use at around 70 watts. I have 24 kanthel A1 wire and I’m using the geekvape Zeus dual RTA. Currently my resistance for the coil is at .28 but I don’t think it’s best for vaping at high wattages, any suggestions would help as I started building yesterday, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    It's all based on individual taste and how warm you like your vape. For some, .2 at 70 Watts is fine.

How many wraps do you have on each coil? Taking a wrap off of each one will lower the resistance making higher wattage easier.

Why are you locked in at a 70W vape? Just curious

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Right now it’s 6 wraps, and I’ve been valuing at 70w with my horizontech falcon tank before starting the RTA, but right now at 40ish watts it’s not really as strong a hit for me.

4. QcVaper

QcVaper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    Just as an FYI, you don't need to vape at 70 watts to have a great experience, i do it single coil at 31 watts and get plenty of clouds and flavor.

For the question though, i usually did a .2 to .25 build with kanthal a1 and used 70-80 watts ( dual coils ofc)
    I do prefer stainless for lower builds though idk why.

Usually i stay at around 4.2 volts more or less on any build and that's how i stay satisfied.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    If he's using a regulated mod the volts displayed really don't mean much. It might be a reference you use, but can over complicate things for someone newer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    You can do one of two things, go to 5 wraps, even 4 would work. I space my coils so even a 4 wrap can fill out a small to medium size deck. Play around with your builds until you get the resistance you seek.

Or the easier, right now fix would be to gradually increase the wattage until you get the vape that you like. What mod and batteries are you using?

7. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Right now at 70w it’s 4.4 volts and I know you should go past 5 volts so I’m not sure if a build with a lower resistance will be better? Since mine is .28 and I’d still like to get my hit a bit stronger

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
    And I’m using the voopoo drag

• Like Like x 1
  9. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    That's a regulated device, you can increase the wattage and be safe. Go up from 40W 5 at a time until you get what you like.

What batteries?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
  11. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    I was looking for brand and model, but as long as they're legit, you don't have much to worry about with the device you're using. Are you getting a more satisfying vape any higher yet?

12. uthinkofsomething

uthinkofsomething Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    Forget about hitting a certain wattage. Built coils are different on different decks and run differently from drop in factory coils. Turn it up to where you like it. 7 wrap twisted 24 gauge I have run at 120 watts...
    Currently using twisted 26, 28, and a flat wire dual coils at 62 watts. .28

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    I build my favorite go to coils with 22ga kanthal. 7 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrel. Dual coil setup in my bravo rta gives anywhere from .19 to .24 ohms depending on the leg length. I hit this from 60 to 75 watts depending on the juice im using. The 22ga is kinda stiff but allows for less (none) deformation when i rewick yet produces nice thick flavorful clouds. Truly a nice experience in my opinion. But hey, thats just me

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
    They are the lg hg2’s and yeah at 70w it’s better but the flavour is not at strong for some reason

For 120 watts would that make the voltage higher than 5? The person at the store said you shouldn’t go above 5 volts

• Like Like x 1
  15. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Flavor on an rda is all about airflow and coil placement. Wicking plays a part too. The Zeus dual, although not the best, is good and should give you good flavor once you find the right build.

I'm vaping at 5.48 volts according to my screen right now. You also have good batteries.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Thanks so I’ll just play around with the build and airflow and try to find the best flavour then, also do you have to prime the wick after the first time you do it? Or will it be good until the wick needs changing?

• Like Like x 1
  17. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not sure if I understood the question, you should always soak the cotton after wicking the wire though if that's what you meant. It's especially important for the cotton in the coil to be primed, otherwise you'll burn the cotton.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
    I meant is it necessary to prime it after using it for a few days or if it would just be good until I need to change the wick?

• Like Like x 1
  19. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh sorry, no. I have rta's that sit for a week and I pick up and use. The cotton retains the moisture. Any longer and I'd prime it.
    During regular use, no need to prime until you change the cotton.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kingrex00

Kingrex00 Full Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Okay yeah that’s what I wasn’t sure of, thanks a lot for your help! I appreciate it

• Like Like x 2