The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Coil burnt out after 3 days

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Cheska, Jan 14, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cheska

Cheska Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Hi guys, don't know if I've posted this in the correct location.

I dropped my vape some time around Christmas- since then the coil would burn out or become too weak to use. I thought maybe it was because I dropped it (and it's about a year old)I know I'm not burning them out, so I bought a new one. But it's been 3 days and it's gone really weak again.

Some more info: both vapes I have mentioned are the Aspire K3. I've been using 3mg juice for about 3 months now, so I don't think that's the issue, nor do I think my vaping habits have changed. I've been using 1.8ohm coils- I thought maybe I should be using 1.6, but with this new kit, I've been given 2 1.8ohm coils, so surely it's not that.

I don't really know what I'm doing with vapes, but this is just annoying. And the cost will add up if I have to replace the coil every 3 days. Any help?

2. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    HI, Cheska, and welcome. Aspire K3's internal battery has a fixed output of 5.5v, which means that you're vaping at ~18 watts, whether you're using a 1.6 or 1.8Ω coil. I don't own this kit so can't speak from experience, but it's a little high, just IMHO. Especially if you feel that your coils are burning out. My normal recommendation would be to lower your wattage, but you can't do this with Aspire K3. So you'll have to make sure you 1) prime your coils well before using them to make sure they are fully saturated, 2) don't vape too fast and don't chain vape, 3) make sure you never let your tank run dry, and 5) switch to higher percentage PG eliquids (or add a drop or 2 of distilled water per tank if you're using high VG juices).

As for cost, order replacement coils from Fasttech--their prices are very reasonable. They carry Nautilus coils--I suggest you stick to 1.8Ω to lower your wattage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. My Batt Hurts

My Batt Hurts Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    18 watts on a 1.8 BVC? :shock:

I suspect the K3 battery won't work with the other Nautilus coils, which are less than 1 ohm. Avoid the 1.6 ohm coil - it's rated for less power than the 1.8.

Is there any difference when the battery is fully charged? I can't see it lasting very long at that kind of output.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cheska

Cheska Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Thanks for the replies.

There is a little difference when it's fully charged, but really not much. From fully charged, it lasts around 12 hours.

I just use Wizmix, which is 50:50- what ratio would you recommend?

5. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I'd try 70 or even 80% PG--it's less viscous than VG. It may help a bit. But the main thing is to stay away from 1.6Ω coils--they are rated for up 3.3 - 4,2 Volt (7 - 12 Watt), so don't even think about it. The 1.8Ω coil is just borderline: 1.8Ω coil at 5.5v = 16.8 watts. So just be careful.

And eventually, I suggest you look for a variable wattage mod, and a tank with airflow control. Sometime in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Double post. Sorry. The forum is having hiccups again. It's Monday. ;)

7. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    16.8 watts, to be exact. Just did the math. 18.9 watts on a 1.6 Ω coil (rated 12 watts max). Hey, don't blame me. It wasn't my idea. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Cheska

Cheska Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I'm not very good with the technical lingo, but if you're saying the wattage is too high, why is that what they gave me (and therefore is the standard)?

10. My Batt Hurts

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    The manual for that kit is weird. It says the output voltage is 5.5V with no atomiser attached.

I gather those tanks are quite airy. Now I know why!

Couldn't agree more about changing the mod.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Cheska

Cheska Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    So basically the kit is crap and I should just go elsewhere?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I really don't know. I tried to read through their manual, but as MBH said, it's not clear what the parameters are. What I know for a fact is that the rating for the 1.8Ω Nautilus coil in the Nautilus tank is 14 watts max. So I figure that your tank must be much airier and able to cool the coil better than the Nautilus, but still, 16 watts is very high for this coil.

13. My Batt Hurts

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    Not sure, but (as @Katya says), it is odd that Aspire would do that.

If the coils stop working but there's no burnt taste, try a different / thinner / less sweet liquid. If there's a burnt taste, then it's probably too much power.

Do you know how much liquid you're able to vape for each coil?

Regardless, I would look at picking up a different battery or mod when you can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I hesitate to say that. Try to play with it some more. Or do a search (here or on Google) and see what other users are saying. But I'm sure there are better kits out there that will let you regulate your wattage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cheska

Cheska Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Up until this christmas, a coil was lasting me about 3 weeks- I mean, it would be struggling by then, but usable. I'm on low nicotine so the amount I smoke is quite high at the moment- 12 10ml bottles last a month.

So 90ml per coil before I started having this problem?

Are there any starter kits which allow for variable wattage and airflow control?

16. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    There are so many different mods out there, but if your Aspire did work for you before, why not try to make it work again? Try a new coil and see what happens. Sometimes you get a bad coil. Happens all the time. Do you have any extra coils? I can't tell you how long a coil should last--it depends on the juice you're using and your vaping style. Sweet, dark juices will clog your coils in a matter of days. I often vape unflavored and my coils last forever.

If you experience more problems with the Aspire, we'll be happy to recommend alternatives. From simple iStick 30 and 40 watt mods with internal batteries to more complicated mods with external batteries.

Good luck and don't give up on your device yet.

Have you seen any of those Youtube videos?

aspire k3 review - YouTube

This is a very popular kit for new vapers:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Cheska

Cheska Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    With the old Aspire I went through 5 coils in, what, 2 weeks, and I got this new one on Friday, and I need to change the coil already. A couple of duds I could accept, but this is a bit much haha. I have 2 more coils before I run out.

18. My Batt Hurts

Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    This is based on old info, but even with flavoured liquid, you should expect at least 20 - 30 mls per coil. I'd be annoyed with anything less.

If the remaining coils go the same way, cut your losses and pick up something else. Katya's suggestion is a pretty good one.

19. Cheska

Cheska Full Member

Jan 14, 2019
    The way its going now, I'll have gone through the last two coils by the weekend and I guess I'll venture down to an e-cig shop.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    There are a bunch. Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Sorry to say, but your current setup is quite archaic and primitive. Stuff we had to use 10 years ago. An anology would be cooking on a campfire as opposed to cooking on a gas stove. The real simple setups work for some folks, but if they don't you don't have options to improve your vape.

Technology has improved immensely since then. You need a mod setup that is variable wattage, a tank that has adjustable air flow and coil options with more than just one coil resistance (ohms). Having the ability to change your wattage settings and adjust airflow settings is a game changer.

You'll be surprised to find that beingable to adjust the air flow or changing the heat of the coil higher or lower can make a huge difference in your vaping experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.