Coil burnt out after 3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Jan 14, 2019
Hi guys, don't know if I've posted this in the correct location.

I dropped my vape some time around Christmas- since then the coil would burn out or become too weak to use. I thought maybe it was because I dropped it (and it's about a year old)I know I'm not burning them out, so I bought a new one. But it's been 3 days and it's gone really weak again.

Some more info: both vapes I have mentioned are the Aspire K3. I've been using 3mg juice for about 3 months now, so I don't think that's the issue, nor do I think my vaping habits have changed. I've been using 1.8ohm coils- I thought maybe I should be using 1.6, but with this new kit, I've been given 2 1.8ohm coils, so surely it's not that.

I don't really know what I'm doing with vapes, but this is just annoying. And the cost will add up if I have to replace the coil every 3 days. Any help?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
HI, Cheska, and welcome. Aspire K3's internal battery has a fixed output of 5.5v, which means that you're vaping at ~18 watts, whether you're using a 1.6 or 1.8Ω coil. I don't own this kit so can't speak from experience, but it's a little high, just IMHO. Especially if you feel that your coils are burning out. My normal recommendation would be to lower your wattage, but you can't do this with Aspire K3. So you'll have to make sure you 1) prime your coils well before using them to make sure they are fully saturated, 2) don't vape too fast and don't chain vape, 3) make sure you never let your tank run dry, and 5) switch to higher percentage PG eliquids (or add a drop or 2 of distilled water per tank if you're using high VG juices).

As for cost, order replacement coils from Fasttech--their prices are very reasonable. They carry Nautilus coils--I suggest you stick to 1.8Ω to lower your wattage.

Cheska

Jan 14, 2019
Thanks for the replies.

There is a little difference when it's fully charged, but really not much. From fully charged, it lasts around 12 hours.

switch to higher percentage PG eliquids (or add a drop or 2 of distilled water per tank if you're using high VG juices).

I just use Wizmix, which is 50:50- what ratio would you recommend?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I just use Wizmix, which is 50:50- what ratio would you recommend?

I'd try 70 or even 80% PG--it's less viscous than VG. It may help a bit. But the main thing is to stay away from 1.6Ω coils--they are rated for up 3.3 - 4,2 Volt (7 - 12 Watt), so don't even think about it. The 1.8Ω coil is just borderline: 1.8Ω coil at 5.5v = 16.8 watts. So just be careful.

And eventually, I suggest you look for a variable wattage mod, and a tank with airflow control. Sometime in the future.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
16.8 watts, to be exact. Just did the math. 18.9 watts on a 1.6 Ω coil (rated 12 watts max). Hey, don't blame me. It wasn't my idea. ;)
The manual for that kit is weird. It says the output voltage is 5.5V with no atomiser attached.

I gather those tanks are quite airy. Now I know why!

Couldn't agree more about changing the mod.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm not very good with the technical lingo, but if you're saying the wattage is too high, why is that what they gave me (and therefore is the standard)?

I really don't know. I tried to read through their manual, but as MBH said, it's not clear what the parameters are. What I know for a fact is that the rating for the 1.8Ω Nautilus coil in the Nautilus tank is 14 watts max. So I figure that your tank must be much airier and able to cool the coil better than the Nautilus, but still, 16 watts is very high for this coil.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
I'm not very good with the technical lingo, but if you're saying the wattage is too high, why is that what they gave me (and therefore is the standard)?
Not sure, but (as @Katya says), it is odd that Aspire would do that.

If the coils stop working but there's no burnt taste, try a different / thinner / less sweet liquid. If there's a burnt taste, then it's probably too much power.

Do you know how much liquid you're able to vape for each coil?

Regardless, I would look at picking up a different battery or mod when you can.

• Agree
Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So basically the kit is crap and I should just go elsewhere?

I hesitate to say that. Try to play with it some more. Or do a search (here or on Google) and see what other users are saying. But I'm sure there are better kits out there that will let you regulate your wattage.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Cheska

Jan 14, 2019
Up until this christmas, a coil was lasting me about 3 weeks- I mean, it would be struggling by then, but usable. I'm on low nicotine so the amount I smoke is quite high at the moment- 12 10ml bottles last a month.

So 90ml per coil before I started having this problem?

Are there any starter kits which allow for variable wattage and airflow control?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
There are so many different mods out there, but if your Aspire did work for you before, why not try to make it work again? Try a new coil and see what happens. Sometimes you get a bad coil. Happens all the time. Do you have any extra coils? I can't tell you how long a coil should last--it depends on the juice you're using and your vaping style. Sweet, dark juices will clog your coils in a matter of days. I often vape unflavored and my coils last forever.

If you experience more problems with the Aspire, we'll be happy to recommend alternatives. From simple iStick 30 and 40 watt mods with internal batteries to more complicated mods with external batteries.

Good luck and don't give up on your device yet.

Have you seen any of those Youtube videos?

aspire k3 review - YouTube

This is a very popular kit for new vapers:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Are there any starter kits which allow for variable wattage and airflow control?
There are a bunch. Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Sorry to say, but your current setup is quite archaic and primitive. Stuff we had to use 10 years ago. An anology would be cooking on a campfire as opposed to cooking on a gas stove. The real simple setups work for some folks, but if they don't you don't have options to improve your vape.

Technology has improved immensely since then. You need a mod setup that is variable wattage, a tank that has adjustable air flow and coil options with more than just one coil resistance (ohms). Having the ability to change your wattage settings and adjust airflow settings is a game changer.

You'll be surprised to find that beingable to adjust the air flow or changing the heat of the coil higher or lower can make a huge difference in your vaping experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread