The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Coil choice... 1.2 or 0.6 ohm

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by vaper1960, Jun 7, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I have an Aspire pockeX that uses either 1.2 ohm or 0.6 ohm coils. I need to stock up because the Pockex is no longer being made and I just got a new one (on sale from $40 down to $24) I also have been getting juice from vapebox (don't have much money) and don't know exactly what I'll get. Some of the sweeter flavors tend to clog my coils faster (even though I like them, can't afford to go through coils so fast) Which resistance would last longer with these juices? I do short MTL draws and don't let the coils get too hot. I also try to clean the coil with vodka before they clog up and reuse if possible.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Anise

Anise Vaping Master ECF Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    If you're MTL I'd choose the 1.2ohm.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TrollDragon

TrollDragon Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    If you want coil longevity with either of those coils then you really need to seek out thin juices that have a higher percentage of PG over VG. The juice that our store recommends for the Pocket X has a 70%PG 30%VG blend, all those sweet thicker juices designed for bigger gear with 70%VG and higher taste a lot better but will burn out your coils 10x faster.

Thinner juices don't usually have a complex flavor profile like the thick ones do, but will still give you the nicotine you require.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    Northbound :(
    With Breeze coils (not exactly the same coils, but quit similar in that they're both Aspire "U-Tech") I've gotten much longer life out of the 0.6Ω coils than the 1.0Ω or 1.2Ω coils.

FWIW, I'm strictly MTL.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I agree with Anise, 1.2 ohm are designed for MTL and a slightly cooler vape. 0.6 for DTL and a slightly warmer vape.

I don't believe coil resistance has anything to do with coil longivity due to the e-liquid used.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I just checked and the 0.6 coils are no longer available, so I will order 1.2 ohm before they are gone. I do mix my vape juices with 50vg/50pg tobacco flavor anyway (it's 18mg nicotine and I mix with 6mg flavored juice to end up with 12mg that I like)

• Like Like x 6
  7. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    get both..

element vape has them in stock..

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Not the resistance per se, but
    The lower the resistance, generally the larger the coil. In my experience, they do handle more highly sweetened juices. Not by a lot, but some.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Actually, right now I'm using the 0.6 ohm coil that came with my new PockeX and it's holding up better than my 1.2 in my old PockeX (or it could be the the "old beater" has battery issues... sat in a hot car for weeks)

• Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've used SS316L for years now, but I wind in the .5 to .9 range. To get to 1.2 ohms or higher on an RTA I'd probably go back to Kanthal or Nichrome to keep the wraps down.

I'm wondering what the pre-made coils are wound with these days. The ones I looked at in the past were shiny silver when new. I haven't used a factory coil in years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    The 1.2 ohm coil is Kanthal... and they call it U-tech coil.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I just ordered two 5 packs of 1.2 ohm coils from vaping .com (they didn't have the 0.6 ohm) Just checked element vape... they are also out of stock.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    • Like Like x 1
  14. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I am happy with my 1.2 ohm coils, but I think I like the 0.6 ohm better. I've been using my last one and it's still doing OK. It's all good... learning so much. When I am ready to get a new vape device, I will shoot for something around 0.6 to 1 ohm. There are so many choices my head is spinning (I'll save that for another thread) Thank you all for the good advice!

• Like Like x 1
  15. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Good thing I got a new PockeX... old one has battery issues. Doesn't keep a charge (like I said, it sat in a hot car for weeks) Some day I'll get a "real" vape device and use sub-ohm coils, sweet dark juice... Peace, vape out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dudeman

Dudeman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2009
    New Bedford, MA
    Just an fyi but I just checked ebay and there are a bunch of sellers there with .6 coils. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Dudeman, thank you so much... forgot about e-bay.

• Like Like x 2
  18. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Too bad I stocked up on 1.2 ohm coils (I will have to mix juices to dilute the thicker ones) I've decided I do like the 0.6 ohm coils better... they get more airflow too. Here's a short video that explains the difference:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. vaper1960

vaper1960 Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Just ordered some 0.6 ohm coils from e-bay, then looked on vaping.com again and now they have them. Oh well, e-bay was cheaper and free shipping! I now have 15 of the 1.2 ohm and 5 of the 0.6 ohm... should last awhile I only vape 3 ml a day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Unless you are using a reputable vendor's store, ebay can be not so good. You always have the possibltiy of counterfeit coils... Or worse. I'm not sure I'd worry too much about missing eBay's "deals" honestly.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.