Coil not lasting in my AGAT2

Status
Not open for further replies.

media

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta
Last night was a great moment when I got my first mesh wick working 100%. It came out @ 1.8 ohm, looked clean and done well and vaped amazing for the whole tank, not one bad hit. I was vaping at 3.7v on my vmax v3 telescopic. I took the cap off to refill, a few puffs in and it was burnt. No matter what I did I could not get rid of the hotspots. Is there something I need to do maintenance wise to keep it hitting well? I see people take these on the go with them and it seems you would be adjusting the coil every hour or having to replace it daily..

Any tips on getting some longevity out of the coil would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
a few tricks come to mind.
you have to make sure the wick is not loose in the wickhole if it can move around it will disturb the coil/
you can torch the wire before you wrap as sometimes wire will expand once its been heated causing the coil to get loose in some spots.

I do not own the aga's but i have heard reported that the positive post can move when the atty is screwed/unscrewed on the mod. meaning again it will upset the coils. and make sure the nuts are tight and the wire doesn't move.

im many cases just using it for a tank or two will help the wick/wire get built up and then it pretty much "locks" the coil in place

try a method like the drillbit coil to make sure the coil is even tension all the way around the wick, many people dont set the wick all the way in the tank. i set mine on the bottom as touching the bottom of the tank makes it less likely to move. sometimes turning the voltage back down and slowly coming back up helps also

umm what else.......... turn down the voltage. turn the atty sideways so you know the wick is getting really wet and fire it a couple times to get some buildup on the coil area and help the wicking action get going again. sometimes they work fine at one voltage but just need to be bumped down to get going again.

Last edited:

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
media, Thrasher touched on this... it *may* be a wicking issue versus a coil issue. When you're getting these hotspots, does your wick/coil have a wet sheen on it, or does it look really dry?

Occasionally, especially when I run the tank dry, I have to "prime" the wick/coil by putting a drop directly on the wick. That usually gets the wicking rolling again.

media

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta
Thanks for the suggestions! This definitely gives me some things to try out and improve my skill.

That first tank was excellent, probably the best vape I've ever had. I was bummed when it started to get a hot spot after a refill. This was after a lot of trial and error with the original mesh that came with it and having to wait for new mesh. At first I wasn't oxidizing properly which was the culprit.

media

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta
You can always empty the tank, and pulse it a bit dry to re oxidize the wick, then refill and try again..

I'm using a regulated device now, but my M16 clone left from china a few days ago. I picked up that, a couple fuses, and some new batteries. I'm hoping that will make using an rba a little easier. The pulse method sounds like the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread