Coil resistance just jumped up a lot and gives dry hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arvellon

Mar 6, 2018
Hi,

I just purchased a Wotofo Serpent smm and I like it very much. My build worked fine, I used the fused clapton coil provided in the package and everything worked just fine.

However, initially my mod (Smok Alien TC) read .194 ohms and I vaped on it for an hour or two and when I unscrewed the tank and screwed it back on, the mod read .271 ohms and I only get dry hits even though the tank was filled enough and i was only vaping on 65W?

Note: It changed from its newly installed resistance (.174) to .271 but now when I unscrew the tank and screw it back on it stays around .271 ohms.

Is it normal for it to change that much so fast? Or it is because the first time is wasn't vaped on yet? Also, isn't it supposed to do the opposite of giving dry hits?

Thanks in advance!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My suspicion (and it's just that it could be something else) is that your build was working oka at first and when you unscrewed the tank something like a leg of your coil could have come loose. It's not normal for the ohm's to change that much after vaping it, no. Also, what is your coil made of? Some coils will change in resistance after being fired the first time (did you test fire it on an ohm's reader first? Did it stay the same as or similar to your original resistance? Or did you build directly on the mod. What was the "stated" resistance of the fused Clapton coil that came with it? (If it said, sometimes it doesn't?) Was the initial resistance close to where it was supposed to be?

I really think something has come loose with your build. I guess it could be an electrical fault in your mod, but if you've had the mod a while it may be much more likely to be your build.

Also, you aren't running it in TC mode are you? That might give you abnormal results if you ran it in the wrong mode and it's a non-TC coil, it could have... Well, it would be unlikely to... Well, depending on your coil material and what mode you are running it in, you could have overheated/melted the coil somehow.

Either way, I'd say start over with another coil. If you have an ohm's reader, you should use it. Make sure it is very secure to the deck, and the wire is fully trapped before you "snip" it, and snip it AS close as you can to the deck, leaving no extra wire. But you are going to have to inspect your build to see what went wrong, and a bit more information might help isolate the problem but it kinda sounds to me like something might be wrong with your build...

Anna

Arvellon

Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply!

So I checked and the coil is still in place, the legs are still in the center of the screws and I couldn't tighten them any further so that seems okay. I built it directly on the mod since I don't own a ohm's reader and the coil is made of Kanthal A1 and I'm using Watt Mode and not Temp Control.

Also, I let it cool for about half an hour and then unscrewed and screwed my tank back in a few times and now it's always the same resistance (.262 ohms) and it seems to work fine now (no dry hits). But it's still strange the resistance changed from .194 ohms to .262 ohms, is it?

Reactions: stols001

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I have the SMM. Can't speak to the coil reading issue, that hasn't happened to me, at least not such a big swing. As far as dry hits...I've discovered that the SMM, like most RTA's can be finicky about how it is wicked or I will start to get dry hits. I wick with enough cotton to have a snug fit through the coil and I do not let the ends of the cotton go deep into the well. I make them just a bit longer than I would for an RTA without a well. Originally I thought the cotton should go deep into the well but every time I've done that I get dry hits.

That's my .02 worth.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That's actually not a ginormous resistance now that I think about it more (sorry, am not feeling so hot today). If you built it "cold" and checked the resistance, without heating the metal at all, I think that resistance level would be fairly normal and if it's staying where it's at and everything seems secure, I think you could continue vaping it. Maybe you weren't fully connecting the mod to the tank, also. That might have caused the poor vapor production. IDK.

I just mainly want to say that yeah, that amount of resistance is less of a cause of concern, especially if the coil was first read "cold". If everything is working now, though, well... Vape on?

Anna

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hi,

I just purchased a Wotofo Serpent smm and I like it very much. My build worked fine, I used the fused clapton coil provided in the package and everything worked just fine.

However, initially my mod (Smok Alien TC) read .194 ohms and I vaped on it for an hour or two and when I unscrewed the tank and screwed it back on, the mod read .271 ohms and I only get dry hits even though the tank was filled enough and i was only vaping on 65W?

Note: It changed from its newly installed resistance (.174) to .271 but now when I unscrew the tank and screw it back on it stays around .271 ohms.

Is it normal for it to change that much so fast? Or it is because the first time is wasn't vaped on yet? Also, isn't it supposed to do the opposite of giving dry hits?

Thanks in advance!

Many things could explain why the resistance went up. Remember, kanthal and nichrome will expand a bit when heated, so make sure you take that into consideration. Make sure your coil doesn't get too close to the deck or side walls when building it. Also, double check the post screws... sometimes those get loose. Like others suggested, dry firing the coils is almost an absolute must. check to make sure everything is fine.

As far as why the increased resistance is now causing dry hits.. that's easily explained. When your resistance goes up in a coil, and you do not change the wattage, the coils will get hotter. Say you use your .174 coil at 100 watts. you'd be running that at 4.2 volts. if you keep the mod set at 100W and the coil is now .271 ohms, you'd be running the coil at 5.2 volts.. the coil would be hotter. You'd have to lower the wattage to about 65 watts to get the same voltage. You can double check the calculations at Ohms Law Calculator.. just plug in two variables and calculate the other variables.

• Useful

Arvellon

Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for the answers,

One last thing before I trust my coil again: am I right if I say that at a higher resistance but the same wattage, the coil should get less hot? That would mean that the dry hits I got wasn't related to the resistance jump.
I ask because I like taking hits of about 3.5seconds and now i'm a little afraid of getting dry hits so i take short puffs but they aren't nearly as satisfying. So could anyone confirm this please?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think a higher resistance coil would get MORE hot with higher/similar wattage, depending on your coil's resistance difference, you may need a fair bit less wattage. I would start out low and increase slowly. I think with lower wattage, you should be able to take a longer inhale than currently, because you are likely applying too much power to your coil. Try some experimenting and see what works best.

But generally, higher resistance is going to need lower wattage, and too much wattage is going to give you an unpleasant vape.

Best of luck,

Anna

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

If you installed and wicked the coil yourself, noticed in a later post you said it is Kanthal A1, if you didn't dry fire and pulse the coil prior to wicking to check even heating along the coil/coils after install to check for hot spots and uneven heating, you'd run into issues. Kanthal is notorious after a fresh install of expanding and shifting when first firing. Also all metals when first fired will create an oxidation layer on the surface of the wire, this is the wire itself creating a protective layer around itself, with Kanthal this layer is carbon. This layer also insulates the rest of the wire from contact with other parts of the wire, thus when bare metal to bare metal contact broken and insulated by that layer the true resistance of the coil is now being read. Also the heat of the first firing has softened and annealed the metal into position and should not shift or move anymore unless the contact screws come loosened.

The dry hits could have been caused by a hot spot (a section of wire that gets hotter than the other sections), this extra heat will become dry faster than the other sections. Also if the coil expanded a bit, that could have been enough to make the wicking if put in place very tight to be choked down further, slowing down liquid flow to where the wick couldn't keep up with the heat generation and was becoming dry. If you add that into a situation where there is a hot spot, you are going to have some rough vaping time. Note also, this is all speculation without seeing how the coil is firing myself.

Any rebuildable atomizer, excluding builds that use Nickel Ni200 or Titanium T1 wire, before wicking the coil, pulse fire the coil, use a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers to squeeze, pulse heat again, squeeze, rinse and repeat until the coil fires evenly. This pulsing and squeezing the coil technique allows the coil to anneal into proper position gently as well as allows the formation of the needed oxidation layer to form and insulate the wire from the rest of itself. This will allow the true resistance of the coil to be read, though note gradually over time resistance of a coil will increase, but not such a drastic change you will notice. I've had Kanthal coils increase by about 0.03ohms over a six month service and use period, just the physics of the metal crystalizing internally due to contant heating and cooling.

May be TMI for you, but if you are just getting into rebuildables, knowing something about everything going on with a coil helps in troubleshooting problems. Note the caution above about Ni200 and Ti1 wire, never dry fire these wires, Ni200 is soft, very soft with a very low melting point so you could melt your coil and collapse it during dry firing, also out gas Nickel into your vape. Titanium when dry fired creates an oxidation layer of Titanium-Dioxide which is not healthy for you. Also both wires should be only used in Temperature Control mode, Stainless 316L, NiChrome, and Kanthal should only be pulse fired when not wicked during initial build or when dry firing to clean the coils during a re-wicking.

• Informative

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
"Is it normal for it to change that much so fast?" Hard to say, lots of reasons may cause this type of difference.
Could contact:
local B&M Vape Shop (Visit) -----Might be simple.
Vendor who sold it ---see if they will repair or replace or advise (any authorized distributor).
Manufacturer contact ---see if they will repair or replace or advise.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread