Not open for further replies.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
What resistance do your coils read?

Your resistance shouldn't be high enough to be causing that issue. With a doubled over piece of 3mm silica with 3/4 wraps my 28ga coils usually meter out to around .7. If you are using a single piece of 1.5mm wick with a 4/5 wrap that's probably somewhere around 1ohm, maybe a bit higher or lower. That resistance level should provide immediate performance without long warmup times.

The only thing I can think of is maybe there is a bad connection somewhere, or something in the chain is causing a large voltage drop. I don't know what you are using this on, but I've had mechs that hit HORRIBLY out of the box, the coil would take forever to heat up and performance was lacking. Bad batteries could possibly be the culprit too. Are you using good quality, high-drain batteries? How old are they? THey are 18650s, right?

Older batteries, crappy batteries, and smaller batteries such ... 18350s have more pronounced voltage sag under load, which means less performance (quite a bit less depending on how much current your coil is trying to draw)

Your dripper could also be flooded, if there is too much juice in there, it would take several seconds of heat time to vaporize enough juice from the wick to get it back to "normal "levels, then it would start vaping good.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
Sorry, I should have posted all the pertinent info.

I'm using it on a Reo grand with AW IMR 18650's. I have three batteries in rotation. Two of which I just got 2 days ago.

I am using 1.5mm silica folded over once and a 4/5 wrap. With 28 gauge I get about .9 ohms. With 30 gauge I get about 1.2 to 1.5.

I don't think it's a flooding problem because it exhibits this behavior with or without juice on the coil.

I have wrapped several coils and some have been great, but most take forever to heat up. I'm 99% sure I'm doing something wrong.

UncleChuck that was your 666th post! :headbang: :evil:

Last edited:

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I have brought EVIL to this thread!! UNLIMITED EEEEEEVIIIIILLLL MUWAHAHAHAH

Sorry. ;)

It sounds like you have everything right, it seems very odd it would take so long to heat up, especially with no juice on the coil. I'm not familiar with the Reo as far as it's power handing, but I've seen tons of people with good subobm setups on reos so I assume they are good to go.

You've got me stumped... my mind still goes to bad connection somewhere, but that would cause either high resistance reading or wandering ohms, issues you don't seem to have. Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Maybe some of the uber rba vets will chime in with some helpful info.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
sounds like massive voltage drop a subohm coil should be blazing in no time, check the resistance with the atty off the mod and see if its same reading.
then clean your contacts, . does this only happen on a certain mod, can you check the same atty on something else?

The coil I have on it right now is only 1.5 so I tried it on my provari and I got the same thing.

One other bit of info I guess I should mention is that I can never seem to get the outer most coil on either side to light up. I'm pretty sure that is the key to my problem.

Here are a couple of pics I took of it. Maybe someone can see the problem by visually inspecting it.

ylcx.png
b0pe.png

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
the coils look like they def need to be spaced better. when you do get it to glow it should be nice and even not one or two at a time first.
hard to tell at the angles but the coil isnt sitting in any juice is it? this will also kill the time to heat up.
the more wraps the more wire to heat also. i dont use 28 so im no help there.

try holding the wick with a paperclip when you wrap it to help hold it steady. and give you a more even wrap.

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
I run 28 kanthal at 3/4 wrap (not on a Reo though but on a simple Mech mod). .8 ohms every time. There was a post concerning Reos and voltage loss for sub ohm coils.

I found the easiest way to coil RBA's is to wrap coil around a micro screwdriver first to get perfect loops. Then use part of a cotton ball for wicking. After a few days just pull out the cotton (easy), dry burn and then thread in some new cotton. Did you get bright red coils when you test fired it? (before adding juice).

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
if your coil is down to low it may be covering the bottom hole in the reomizer. this may cause the juice to flood in the atty. make sure to have some space so the juice can flow back down into the drain hole. also I would move the coil out towards the edge just a little more, this will get a little more air hitting the coil . also its a good idea to have the air hole away from you as you vape, unlike a genny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread