The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Coil turning brown/black 1 day old

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by muza123, Feb 19, 2021.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. muza123

muza123 Senior Member

Feb 14, 2021
    I've been vaping out of my new coil today and I noticed my coil is turning brown in 1 day! The flavor is tasting metallic and I make sure everything is full and don't chain vape is it possible to get a faulty coil? (pre-built coil) I also did prime it and even left it for 10 mins to fully soak.
    Any help much appreciated hope everyone has a good weekend :)

2. Territoo

Territoo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    The turning brown isn't that big of an issue. The cotton in the coils will discolor with use. Yes, you can occasionally get a dud coil. Try replacing it with a fresh coil.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. muza123

muza123 Senior Member

Feb 14, 2021
    Thank you for the help!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Falconeer

Falconeer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

The posts above have nailed it. And yes even the best makers turn out the odd duff coil - I've just put a new Innokin Coil into my Zenith and its weak and wonky so they do slip through, even authentic ones.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Some juices, especially dark ones, are prone to crusting up the coil. Sweet juices are generally coil killers due to the sugar (sucrose) ingredients. The clearer the better, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  6. muza123

muza123 Senior Member

Feb 14, 2021
    It is clear, but I think that's the problem it's a pudding flavor :lol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Falconeer

I'd say and genuinely mean it kindly - don't overthink things, it really doesn't help, just take it easy and as it comes - maybe try turning up the power a bit for a few puffs then turn it back down and relax... things'll work out as they do! Again I'm not being sarcastic but maybe just maybe that ould metallic taste is just in your head.

Been there, thunk all those thoughts, thought my vape might die etc etc etc...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. muza123

muza123 Senior Member

Feb 14, 2021
    Yeah, you're totally right thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Metallic tastes are sometimes due to machine oil on the metal from the machining process. Kayfun atomizers are like that. I usually disassemble and drop new ones in hot water with a drop or two of dish soap and let them soak overnight. A good wash to get the soap out of the atty and it's clean and ready to vape.

Your coils may have some residual machine oil on them. I haven't vaped drop in coils in many years and never had the oil taste. That's usually associated with rebuildable attys.

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. muza123

muza123 Senior Member

Feb 14, 2021
    Thank you that must have been it I was still getting that metallic taste and I just could not wrap my head around it gave it a good wash let them dry out overnight and good as new appreciate the help. :toast:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Falconeer

12. Mordacai

Mordacai Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @muza123, the liquid could contain Sucralose and that kills coils.

That may be another option.

As tried using it for DIY liquid and I didn't like it at all, coils black and gunked up within a day and that was at 1%!