Coils and their lasting flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2019
Asia-Pacific
This might be a known and already answered questions, however I couldn't find an answer for what I'm searching for. Also, tried some searches on the ECF's too but stumbled mostly only on periods where coils lasts here and there.

As I have read that the flavor on own built coils may run up to weeks or even month, some even for 3 month and more, but how does it actually work ?

I'm curious how the coils effect the flavor on the longer run. Even though we cleaned them and changed the wicks.

Or does the wire built coils degrade themselves while vaping like metal being dissolved which then changed it formula or something ? Or is it just a myth and maybe getting vaping tongue which then concludes the coils doesn't produce flavor production ?

Here is my m.Alien built just for the topic. :oops:

mAliens_7.jpg

Apologize for my English and or if too many questions that can't be answered or understand from my writing, please let me know. :D

Be well,

Reactions: Superuser187

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Ime, the crud on the coil will degrade the flavor, at least muting it. Yes, "loaded" wicks don't perform well, but just changing them without cleaning the coil itself probably doesn't do a lot.

Yes, some coil metals should NOT be dry burned, so a gentle "mechanical" cleaning may work on those. I'm still a Kanthal wrapper, so do dry burn mine. And yes, the coil itself may go many months. The resistance will gradually increase over use, and I just go by that - when it gets higher than I like, I'll rebuild.

Apologize for my English

Hey, no problems! Your "second" language is better than many for whom it's the first :) :thumb:

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2019
Asia-Pacific
Yes, some coil metals should NOT be dry burned, so a gentle "mechanical" cleaning may work on those. I'm still a Kanthal wrapper, so do dry burn mine. And yes, the coil itself may go many months. The resistance will gradually increase over use, and I just go by that - when it gets higher than I like, I'll rebuild.

Hey, no problems! Your "second" language is better than many for whom it's the first :) :thumb:
Thank you, I’m using ni80 on my builts, I have heard also that dry burning SS and some metals with nickel may dissolve toxic gas.

I’m still cleaning them with dry burns tho but carefully and sometimes rinse them afterwards with water.

I believe the metal once being used after sometime will change and then may cause the lost of flavor. Other than that I’m not sure why then we change the coils if we still could clean the coils until we see no gunk are stuck to it.

Thank you once again for sharing.
Be well,

Reactions: DavidOck

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I always change my cotton when the coil it self gets black and little gunky because even tho i see a little drop or not at all difference in flavour i like to vape a fresh coil and doesn't cost anything so why not.
I mean i dont let it get supergunky.

I dont like much flavourings so i make my juice with max 5% total flavourings depending how strong they are and even tho its not considered coil killer juice at all i still rewick every sunday or sometimes earlier like at 4-5 days.

About the coils i dont really see any difference but i change the coil like every 2-3months or something and i have used a coil once for 5months and didnt really see any difference in flavour.
I really wonder if its better to change coils sooner cause if so i would do it i am just not sure if there is any benefit or i just waste coils.
I clean them carefully and never pulse them very hard ofc, cause i have heard that is not good even from vaping supporters like dr farsalinos that i know he wouldn't say lies that there was some harmfull emitions when u do pulse the coils very much i think especially in stainless steel coils if i remember correct even tho it wasnt anything really dangerous.

I wonder in microscopic level is there is any difference in the metal of the coil or what happens after long use to thr metal itself.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I noticed that the gunk on a coil can eventually cause hot spots which in turn gives dry/burnt hits. So changing coils maybe at least once a week can be a good idea.

I can't get months on a self-made coil but I can go 2 months on all the Atlantis style factory coils I've ever tried. Flavor diminishes a bit after 1 month and by end of month 2 it diminishes greatly and so I replace, but still vaping strong.

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
    Jan 9, 2019
    Asia-Pacific
    I always change my cotton when the coil it self gets black and little gunky because even tho i see a little drop or not at all difference in flavour i like to vape a fresh coil and doesn't cost anything so why not.
    I mean i dont let it get supergunky.

I dont like much flavourings so i make my juice with max 5% total flavourings depending how strong they are and even tho its not considered coil killer juice at all i still rewick every sunday or sometimes earlier like at 4-5 days.

About the coils i dont really see any difference but i change the coil like every 2-3months or something and i have used a coil once for 5months and didnt really see any difference in flavour.
    I really wonder if its better to change coils sooner cause if so i would do it i am just not sure if there is any benefit or i just waste coils.
    I clean them carefully and never pulse them very hard ofc, cause i have heard that is not good even from vaping supporters like dr farsalinos that i know he wouldn't say lies that there was some harmfull emitions when u do pulse the coils very much i think especially in stainless steel coils if i remember correct even tho it wasnt anything really dangerous.

I wonder in microscopic level is there is any difference in the metal of the coil or what happens after long use to thr metal itself.
    Thank you for sharing, I totally agree about the rewicking point. Myself if I look down the RBA and couldn’t see my Aliens being shiny then I clean them and rewick unless it’s a tank full of juice. :D

Same here 3-5 days will be max for me, I like it more if it’s clean down there.

Furthermore, I found out that if I’m using SS built coils at later stage when the coils getting darker, my wicking goes darker really quicker too, even if I just cleaned the coil and rewicked it. But that must something to do with the metal i believe. I tried it several times always goes brrr that’s why I switched to ni80 and this doesn’t happen.

Be well,

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
    Jan 9, 2019
    Asia-Pacific
    I noticed that the gunk on a coil can eventually cause hot spots which in turn gives dry/burnt hits. So changing coils maybe at least once a week can be a good idea.

I can't get months on a self-made coil but I can go 2 months on all the Atlantis style factory coils I've ever tried. Flavor diminishes a bit after 1 month and by end of month 2 it diminishes greatly and so I replace, but still vaping strong.
    Thank you for sharing, I also agree to that if we couldn't clean the coils then after a week coils should be replaced if its dirty or gunked up.

Still, if we are able to clean whether by brushing inside outside, water rinse or dry burning it, then whats causing it to diminishes (new word for me, nice !) the flavor tho.

No offense here, Im just to curious lol.

Be well,

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
    Jan 9, 2019
    Asia-Pacific
    Yeah, me too and that may be the direction to point out.

So, I believe if we knew what causes the coil to diminish flavors then we could understand even more how we should replace the coils on a good reliable period (or not).

Even reading over and over is quite funny about this and myself. Its not that serious but its like a word you couldnt find to say but you really want to say it.

Lol, be well folks. :D

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Still, if we are able to clean whether by brushing inside outside, water rinse or dry burning it, then whats causing it to diminishes (new word for me, nice !) the flavor tho.

I don't use exotic coils, only regular round wire coils. When I clean them (just burn gunk off) then put a new wick in it, I see no loss of flavor over when the coil was brand new. But I'm not a flavor chaser so maybe I don't detect the loss of flavor as much as others do.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Yeah, me too and that may be the direction to point out.

So, I believe if we knew what causes the coil to diminish flavors then we could understand even more how we should replace the coils on a good reliable period (or not).

Even reading over and over is quite funny about this and myself. Its not that serious but its like a word you couldnt find to say but you really want to say it.

Lol, be well folks. :D

Wish I knew the answer. I've read that when a coil stops coming up shiny after a clean it's time to replace it. Generally the third or fourth time I clean my 28g kanthal coils they are a dull grey colour instead of shiny silver. That's when I replace them. I used to keep coils going for months. They still work fine, but I do think the taste is better on a new coil. If I had the energy I would replace the coil every time I rewick. I know some people do that.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    This might be a known and already answered questions, however I couldn't find an answer for what I'm searching for. Also, tried some searches on the ECF's too but stumbled mostly only on periods where coils lasts here and there.

As I have read that the flavor on own built coils may run up to weeks or even month, some even for 3 month and more, but how does it actually work ?

I'm curious how the coils effect the flavor on the longer run. Even though we cleaned them and changed the wicks.

Or does the wire built coils degrade themselves while vaping like metal being dissolved which then changed it formula or something ? Or is it just a myth and maybe getting vaping tongue which then concludes the coils doesn't produce flavor production ?

Here is my m.Alien built just for the topic. :oops:

View attachment 970707

Apologize for my English and or if too many questions that can't be answered or understand from my writing, please let me know. :D

Be well,
    After multiple uses and cotton changes and cleaning and dry burns it is possible for the metal to degrade to some degree. I've seen some microscopic images presented from people who supported the vaping industry who weren't trying to scare monger and say you're inhaling metal and all that stuff that the anti-vaping people like to say. Most of them were talking about coils that had been used for 3 to 6 months or more consistently and there was some rough spots under microscope on the metal. Would that degrade the flavor I don't know are you going to somehow inhale the metal I sincerely and completely doubt it but does it make for a good vape that I can't answer. I usually don't use the same device for very long I'm always changing out my RTAs and my RDAs and my RBAs all of the things that have built coils in them rather than commercial and I am guilty of keeping the coil in for a very long time. I usually use Clapton's of some sort so at least two wires on the inside for me and one wire on the outside and sometimes I will actually see that one of the wires has been disturbed and it's no longer in a nice clean pattern and that will urge me to change the coil completely. I don't know how it affects flavor though I couldn't imagine that it would be good for flavor. But so long as I don't see any visible issues with the coil I've not really encountered any problems with flavor loss as long as I clean it regularly which for me is usually every 3 to 5 days of use.

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
    Jan 9, 2019
    Asia-Pacific
    Alright then, before we ending up to deep which will not gain any goods, I would like to come to a conclusion that we all agree mostly on the same pattern from our answers.

In which if its visible to us that the coils need a change whether its dirty, gunked up or misformed and not able to redo the process we then change the coils and it doesnt matter much of the exact period time of the coil usage but more likely on the visible aspect this also because we all use them differently with different devices, flavors and even different metals.

I would still give it a myth at this point, but its still a fact (somehow) that if they are overused we change the coils.

Job done, go home. (I need to go home) lol :D

Thank you for all the inputs, sharings and information that was provided.

Be well.

Reactions: DavidOck

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Flavor fade... 3 things for me.

First and foremost for me is vapors tongue. Sometimes it takes nearly an hour, other times 10min or less. :)

As mentioned by others, the coil getting gunked up. Usually just cleaning it returns the flavor.

Last and surely not least (I notice this in 'tank' setups more often than not) is the wicking is ether not effective as it should/ought to be or is failing. While the primary time when this is noticed is after a few hours of vaping a new or refreshed build - long enough use where the saturation of your primed wick wears off - it is here where the wick is not picking up enough juice and the flavor falls off. (simple reprime temporarily fixes this)

For those of us that use RDA's or Squankers, the simple solution when flavor drops off is to ether add more drips or 'squank'. :)

This also happens to me sometimes when the tank is running very low on juice. While wick works primarily with a 'capillary effect', the ends need to be in juice from the tank. If one end of the wick has a lack of juice or drys up flavor and vapor output will drop considerably. Simply refilling the tank and repriming the wick often fixes this however may require a rewick.

g.

Reactions: PodVaper

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle
    Flavor fade... 3 things for me.

First and foremost for me is vapors tongue. Sometimes it takes nearly an hour, other times 10min or less. :)

As mentioned by others, the coil getting gunked up. Usually just cleaning it returns the flavor.

Last and surely not least (I notice this in 'tank' setups more often than not) is the wicking is ether not effective as it should/ought to be or is failing. While the primary time when this is noticed is after a few hours of vaping a new or refreshed build - long enough use where the saturation of your primed wick wears off - it is here where the wick is not picking up enough juice and the flavor falls off. (simple reprime temporarily fixes this)

For those of us that use RDA's or Squankers, the simple solution when flavor drops off is to ether add more drips or 'squank'. :)

This also happens to me sometimes when the tank is running very low on juice. While wick works primarily with a 'capillary effect', the ends need to be in juice from the tank. If one end of the wick has a lack of juice or drys up flavor and vapor output will drop considerably. Simply refilling the tank and repriming the wick often fixes this however may require a rewick.

g.

Just addressing Vapors tongue. I have anywhere between 5 and 6 juices (different, and different mgs) at hand. Vapors tongue was a problem back in 2014, when I started, and lapsed after a broken foot (6 months no smoking, sister still smoked). I believe that having several devices with different flavors sort of negates the vapors tongue, beginners should have several devices with different vapes loaded. The price of disposables is WAY too much, imo. So get some Novos, or Caliburns, etc, and several pods. You want more than one device, so one is always charging while rest are A-OK. For beginners, these are the cheapest but most effective way to quit, without going for disposables. They can then buy a variable wattage device with proprietary coils, learn how to clean and reuse, learn how to DIY, then when fully DIY (as I am now) start ordering some RDAs, RDTAs, RTAs, and some mods. Needing the tools and accessories for the builds will be more challenging than DIY juice, this should be the last step.

• Informative
    Reactions: PodVaper

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Just addressing Vapors tongue. I have anywhere between 5 and 6 juices (different, and different mgs) at hand. Vapors tongue was a problem back in 2014, when I started, and lapsed after a broken foot (6 months no smoking, sister still smoked). I believe that having several devices with different flavors sort of negates the vapors tongue, beginners should have several devices with different vapes loaded. The price of disposables is WAY too much, imo. So get some Novos, or Caliburns, etc, and several pods. You want more than one device, so one is always charging while rest are A-OK. For beginners, these are the cheapest but most effective way to quit, without going for disposables. They can then buy a variable wattage device with proprietary coils, learn how to clean and reuse, learn how to DIY, then when fully DIY (as I am now) start ordering some RDAs, RDTAs, RTAs, and some mods. Needing the tools and accessories for the builds will be more challenging than DIY juice, this should be the last step.

A quick look at my profile image is my solution. When I go with flavors, I use multiple ones, each in their own squanker. :)

g.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread