Thediscoranger

Dec 13, 2014
image.jpg

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Kanthal wire has iron in it, not uncommon to have more iron in one segment compared to the next. Personally I'd rebuild the atty, just my personal preference, better to be safe than sorry.

Blackish patina (copper) and tarnish. A good polishing with some water and baking soda to make a safe buffing paste for the atty will work, buff, wipe down, and rinse in water, mod itself you can use brasso polish, paying care to your contact points (pins, threads, switches) and a good wipe down after the polish dries works.

Thediscoranger

Dec 13, 2014
A salt and vinegar bath also works to clean brass and (especially) copper, but if you're just talking about the centre pin, that dab-o-acetone will do ya.

[EDIT] IMO, a fresh coil should not look like that. Fuzzy pic to be sure, but that looks fried.
Well not completely Fresh haha but still new i put up a better pic

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
The one in the rear looks pretty normal, but the one in the front is still awful brown. I suspect you've got a coil firing hotter than the other.

Hard for me to say much else, my coils gunk black before they ever have a chance to change from blue. The realities of custard lovin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread